Some Guidance on iBoost please (1 Viewer)

Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
Hello, we have bought and used successfully over three years, the iBoost bought from Motorhome Wifi. However, today we are having real problems using it as I describe below.
We live in a weak mobile signal area in Burgundy. But we can use my Virgin SIM card in a HUAWEI E-5372 mifi with an aerial and receive a 4bar, 4g signal, that has allowed us to stream live tv etc. The signal when we are in the bedroom is very weak so I decided to connect up the iBoost and boost the HUAWEI signal.
When I scan, I receive two signals; the iBoost and the Huawei. I select the Huawei (as per the MHW instructions). I get a good signal on the iBoost. I then go to settings on my iPad and select the iBoost. This connects but when going to an internet page, nothing opens. If I then go back to iPad settings, select Huawei, pages open.
So, what am I doing wrong?

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
I’ve not had the iBoost so completely unfamiliar with it. If the iBoost is effectively a booster aerial which improves signal reception (e.g. not a router), would you not connect the iBoost to the HUAWEI mifi router (with a cable?), then connect your iPad to the HUAWEI as normal over WiFi?

Complete uneducated & unknowledgeable guess on my part, hope you get it sorted out though.

OP
OP
Ingwe
Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
I’ve not had the iBoost so completely unfamiliar with it. If the iBoost is effectively a booster aerial which improves signal reception (e.g. not a router), would you not connect the iBoost to the HUAWEI mifi router (with a cable?), then connect your iPad to the HUAWEI as normal over WiFi?

Complete uneducated & unknowledgeable guess on my part, hope you get it sorted out though.
The iBoost does boost a wifi signal and there is scope for connecting the iBoost to a router with a LAN cable. But it is designed to work wirelessly and the signal shown on the iBoost Wireless page shows a strong signal.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
I think I may have got the wrong end of the stick, I wrongly assumed you were referring to a 4G antenna system like this...

But I’m guessing you may be referring to something similar to this WiFi solution?...

BROKEN LINK

So I guess you have to first ensure the iBoost micro router has successfully connected over WiFi to the HUAWEI mifi router? Can you tell which devices are connected in the HUAWEI HiLink app?

But assuming access to your HUAWEI router is secured via a pin/password, not sure how you would enter the access credentials to enable the iBoost micro router to connect?

Last edited:

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
Does this link help?

And this post later in same thread...

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ingwe
Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
Does this link help?

Yes thanks. I contributed to that thread.
I have the full Motorhome Wifi instruction sheet and have followed it step by step. But it still doesn't allow me to open a web page.

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
Ideally the iboost would be for improving a campsite’s WiFi for your van and the HUAWEI Mifi for occasions when there’s no other WiFi

Can’t you relocate the HUAWEI so it’s range suits your van’s layout?

OP
OP
Ingwe
Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
Ideally the iboost would be for improving a campsite’s WiFi for your van and the HUAWEI Mifi for occasions when there’s no other WiFi

Can’t you relocate the HUAWEI so it’s range suits your van’s layout?
The only wifi signal we're getting is from Mifi. There is no other wifi signal where we are.
But happily, now working. What I did was untick the LAN option in the Huawei. Then internet pages opnend on both the iBoost and the Mifi.

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
Great! Thanks for the update.
I'm at the start of my van MiFi journey with a little HUAWEI 5577c so all you lot learn I am soaking up :)
The 5577c can also be used in a wifi repeater mode.
At the moment it's loose & can be moved around...
Maybe when I need to add an external antenna I'll need to fix it's location.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Great! Thanks for the update.
I'm at the start of my van MiFi journey with a little HUAWEI 5577c so all you lot learn I am soaking up :)
The 5577c can also be used in a wifi repeater mode.
At the moment it's loose & can be moved around...
Maybe when I need to add an external antenna I'll need to fix it's location.
The wifi repeater mode on the 5577 is a bit of a chocolate teapot. It doesn't boost a wifi signal, only connects to it then rebroadcasts the connection on its own wifi channel. The thing is if the mifi can connect to the wifi then your tablet or phone could as well.

The iBoost can connect to a very weak wifi signal, one so weak a phone or tablet can't even detect it.

I made my own iBoost but I only use it at home these days - it connects to the house wifi from my shed where the PC lives. In the MH I use a mifi with an external antenna which seems to guarantees a connection almost everywhere.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back