Some don't understand motorhomers (1 Viewer)

May 1, 2009
SOUTH WOODHAM FERRERS
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
We have friends who do not understand our lifestyle as full timers .We are really enjoying our travel adventures but after many years my best mate sends me this pic which sums up his impression .Seems a shame he doesn't get it .
He is holding off retirement due to concerns of getting bored !
0_IMG-20181109-WA0000.jpg

Nov 11, 2013
Tewkesbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL 668
Exp
March 2014
Love the peg on the tail! Was it Mike Harding who used to say that his family were so poor that they used to make the pegs for the gypsys to sell.....

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Some of our closest friends constantly tease by asking why we choose to spend our leisure time “in a tin box in field”.?:rolleyes:

We just smile and remind them of the location of some of those “fields”, France, Spain, Italy, Portugal, Germany, Switzerland, Netherlands, Belgium, Slovenia, as well as all over the British Isles, and ask them where they are going next week.:)

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
When I tell people how we live they always say.....’oh, i would love to do that, where’s your favourite place?
Why don’t they get off their backsides & do it if only for, say, 6 months?
How can you say one has a ‘favourite’ place, they’re all good!

Mind you if most people with the free time to do it there wouldn’t be any room left for us!

Janiemou

Free Member
Jan 2, 2017
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
4 years
Well said, Shrimp - we find that they'd all like to do what we do, but the excuses are endless ... the most popular culprits are their grandchildren!

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
Love he got Pi-key in its entirety on a fun page.(y)
Great airline
  • Lands anywhere you want,anytime,no landing fees
  • Fuel not a problem, just go and pinch it from nearest plane
  • Bathrooms all just emptied prior to take off
  • Can repair any runway with the bit of tarmac left from previous job

Nicepix

Free Member
Mar 20, 2018
Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner T-Star 695
I don't get the 'full timing' aspect if you spend 90% of your time parked in the same place. For me motorhoming involves using the motor part, otherwise you might as well have a caravan, static, park home or even, God forbid, a proper house :eek:

But for me the travelling part in a MH with all the things that you need close at hand is far better than a holiday in a hotel room.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
When I tell people how we live they always say.....’oh, i would love to do that, where’s your favourite place?
Why don’t they get off their backsides & do it if only for, say, 6 months?
How can you say one has a ‘favourite’ place, they’re all good!

Mind you if most people with the free time to do it there wouldn’t be any room left for us!
You could convince some people of a certain age simply by pointing out that they'll never be more than ten feet from a lavatory :D.

Top Hat

Free Member
Apr 6, 2018
Durham
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
8years
What would you use for a Toad ?.........may be a glider, great mpg and NO damage to the gear box

OP
OP
mojo
May 1, 2009
SOUTH WOODHAM FERRERS
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I don't get the 'full timing' aspect if you spend 90% of your time parked in the same place. For me motorhoming involves using the motor part, otherwise you might as well have a caravan, static, park home or even, God forbid, a proper house :eek:

But for me the travelling part in a MH with all the things that you need close at hand is far better than a holiday in a hotel room.

Don't know why you assume as full timers we sit in one place for 90% of the time .We have covered 19,000 miles in 15 months and presently are in the USA for six months after shipping out our cottage on wheels.

OP
OP
mojo
May 1, 2009
SOUTH WOODHAM FERRERS
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Another forum I posted this on a member wants the post taken down for racism.Why do some people not see the funny side.
Wish I hadn't bothered to post,first someone wants to have a pop at being a full timer and someone else thinks I'm racist !!

Nicepix

Free Member
Mar 20, 2018
Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner T-Star 695
Don't know why you assume as full timers we sit in one place for 90% of the time .We have covered 19,000 miles in 15 months and presently are in the USA for six months after shipping out our cottage on wheels.

Who said anything about you? Perhaps you should read the post again ;)

OP
OP
mojo
May 1, 2009
SOUTH WOODHAM FERRERS
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Well as you stated your thoughts on full timing on my post after I said we were full timers it's seems a reply to me.Your sweeping statement could have been posted as a separate thread.The photo was for the benifit of members who could see the funny side and nothing to do with asking people's opinions on our lifestyle.
But hey ho no offence meant I am sure and none taken,hope you liked the photo.

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
Another forum I posted this on a member wants the post taken down for racism.Why do some people not see the funny side.
Wish I hadn't bothered to post,first someone wants to have a pop at being a full timer and someone else thinks I'm racist !!
Tell him you are of the same group that's why you live in a motorhome and are also a "traveler" :)

Nicepix

Free Member
Mar 20, 2018
Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner T-Star 695
Well as you stated your thoughts on full timing on my post after I said we were full timers it's seems a reply to me.Your sweeping statement could have been posted as a separate thread.The photo was for the benifit of members who could see the funny side and nothing to do with asking people's opinions on our lifestyle.
But hey ho no offence meant I am sure and none taken,hope you liked the photo.

If it was a direct reply to you I would have quoted you. There are 10 replies before my comments, and not all are directly related to your opening post. Look at posts #4.

At least three other people seem to understand my comment in the context that it was made.

Dec 23, 2015
Audenshaw
Funster No
MH
Pilote Pacific P650GJ
Exp
Over 6000 miles between 3 March to 26 September 2017.
Possibly slightly off thread, but I liken our motor home to a country cottage that we can have wherever we want. I've lived 6 miles outside Manchester all of my life but I'd love to be a country girl, and having a motor home is the only way we can afford it. I don't mind sitting in the middle of a field when it''s raining because I've got beautiful rural views around me instead of brick boxes.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back