Some Blackening on fridge connection to EBL - BL4 (1 Viewer)

Sep 1, 2017
Funster No
We are off on a trip next week so I was doing a few inspections etc on the hab side of our Frankia (2009)
I noticed that the wires coming off the Elektroblock on BL4 looked a bit corroded and on one of them, the insulation had blackened a little.

A placed the fridge on 12V and left it running for half an hour or so. The wires were slightly warm to touch.

I unplugged the connector and the connections inside the EBL, that the connector plugs into appeared clean.

Should I look to clean and remake the spade connections on the connector?

I only use 12V when driving, relying on gas for fridge when parked up as our 2x100W solar will only cope with the fridge if in full sun.

The schematic states that BL4 is the starter battery connection - is this correct? does it mean that running the fridge on 12V doesn't use the leisure batteries?

On my display panel, running the fridge indicates a c10 Amp draw that the solar input them tries to make up for (ie solar today indicates 6 Amps input. )

I thought my regulator (Votronic duo) hooked into the EBL only sends 2 Amp or similar to the starter battery

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
If the connectors are warm it means there is a small voltage drop across them and they are themselves using power :eek:.

They need to be tight, I would cut them off, remake and make sure they plug on tight.

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
The schematic states that BL4 is the starter battery connection - is this correct? does it mean that running the fridge on 12V doesn't use the leisure batteries?
The connection from fridge heater element to the starter battery is dual-purpose.

When engine is running, the alternator charges the starter battery, and also powers the fridge 12 volt heating element to run the fridge while driving.

When the engine is stopped, the wire is disconnected from the fridge, and is used by the mains charger (and probably the solar controller) to charge the starter battery.

The switching is done by a couple of relays, switched by the D+ signal from the alternator.

Some motorhomes, including my Hymer (German), have another relay that connects the fridge 12V element to the leisure batteries when the engine is stopped, if '12 volt' energy source is selected. British vans for some unknown reason do not have this facility.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
Should I look to clean and remake the spade connections on the connector?
The fridge current is about 15 amps, and most spade connectors are rated at 16 amps, so you are very near the limit. They need to be clean and tight, so yes I would check them and clean and remake them if necessary.

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Not an uncommon problem with EBLs. I have had the same issue with an EBL 99 which uses mate-n-lok pin connectors. If there is any slack or wear in the connection it will tend to arc and burn out the connector. Ideally, get a new connector and remake the connection, cutting back the cable to remove the blackened section.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Some motorhomes, including my Hymer (German), have another relay that connects the fridge 12V element to the leisure batteries when the engine is stopped, if '12 volt' energy source is selected. British vans for some unknown reason do not have this facility.

My Rapido (French) doesn't have this facility, neither did my last one Dethleffs (German) so I think you must be one of a lucky few. I would certainly find it useful as often in full sun my 400w solar is producing up to about 20A which I can't use once the batteries are fully charged.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back