Some basic solar advice please (1 Viewer)

seakay22

Free Member
Jun 25, 2019
Funster No
MH
Malibu GT600
Exp
Since 2002
I've at long last had my new van delivered, a Malibu GT 600 PVC. It's been prewired for panels as a factory option so I believe that I just need the solar panels themselves and a smart controller, maybe a Battery Master to charge the engine battery too? Technology is not my strong point so I'm going to give it to a (hopefully) professional installer and let them do it.

My questions are therefore quite simple, firstly what is the best type to get installed, my limited understanding is Crystalline panels come in either mono or poly and does it matter if I get one large one of 200w or 2 x 100w (not sure the 200w will fit). The van has 2 x 80 amp gel batteries.

If there's anything else I need to be aware of please tell me but I really do need this in simplistic terms please!

I've attached a photo of the roof so you can see what I've got to work around.
20200604_105249.jpg

Last edited:

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Mono crystalline are usually a bit smaller than poly crystalline. You need to measure the roof and see what panel or panels can be fitted where. As suggested fitting one sideways behind the main roof light would be a good place.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Compactliner

Free Member
May 30, 2020
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compact 138
Exp
11 yrs
any reason why the supplying dealer isnt doing it for you? which specific dealer?
surely this could have been worked in to the deal?
good luck, a lovely van...

Campervan_man

Free Member
Jun 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Globebus
Exp
It will be 1/2 pre-wired from the factory.
ie, Wires under your cab passenger seat to under your fridge both marked + and -.
The hard bit is going up from the fridge through the roof.
I've done a couple of these vans in the past.

OP
OP
seakay22

seakay22

Free Member
Jun 25, 2019
Funster No
MH
Malibu GT600
Exp
Since 2002
any reason why the supplying dealer isnt doing it for you? which specific dealer?
surely this could have been worked in to the deal?
good luck, a lovely van...
The van came from DĂĽsseldorf last week, delivered on a low loader. There wasn't a factory option to install the solar panels so I decided best get it done here.

OP
OP
seakay22

seakay22

Free Member
Jun 25, 2019
Funster No
MH
Malibu GT600
Exp
Since 2002
It will be 1/2 pre-wired from the factory.
ie, Wires under your cab passenger seat to under your fridge both marked + and -.
The hard bit is going up from the fridge through the roof.
I've done a couple of these vans in the past.
Isn't the bit on the right by the awning the wiring box, it's above the fridge?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Isn't the bit on the right by the awning the wiring box, it's above the fridge?
That looks like the fridge top vent, Carthago often fit roof vents for the fridge.
As said Mono panels smaller and more efficient.
You probably won't need a B2B as Germans do decent size wiring also being a Euro 6 D they will have probably fitted a 40 amp B2B.

OP
OP
seakay22

seakay22

Free Member
Jun 25, 2019
Funster No
MH
Malibu GT600
Exp
Since 2002
That looks like the fridge top vent, Carthago often fit roof vents for the fridge.
As said Mono panels smaller and more efficient.
You probably won't need a B2B as Germans do decent size wiring also being a Euro 6 D they will have probably fitted a 40 amp B2B.
Told you I know nuffink about electrics, I just assumed it was a box of tricks. Yes it's got a Schaudt WA 121525 installed, that I do know. Reading a bit more this evening I agree a mono seems the best option, ideally I can get a single panel of about 160/180w running across the van behind the main roof vent as suggested above. Much rather have one than two but having measured and checked panel sizes it's tight.

Campervan_man

Free Member
Jun 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Globebus
Exp
The couple of vans I fitted panels to the wiring is under the passenger cab seat with a + and - with SOLAR written on then. The other end was curled up below the fridge. A bit of a rummage and you will find it under the fridge.
On the roof above the fridge is a roof top vent as opposed to a traditional side air vent.
Think it was a non gas 12V fridge.
You can either fit a solar charge controller under the fridge and trunk it up the side of the fridge and out of the roof.
OR
Go up behind the fridge and out of the roof top fridge vent.
Trouble with these vans is the insulation is like an inch of guey black insulation and the roof lining is a material kind of finish.

Compactliner

Free Member
May 30, 2020
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compact 138
Exp
11 yrs
The van came from DĂĽsseldorf last week, delivered on a low loader. There wasn't a factory option to install the solar panels so I decided best get it done here.
ok. we have a compactline 138, similar layout (albeit 40 cm longer) with transverse rear bed and a skylight over the rear bed...we are 2.12 wide and i can fit a 100w panel (60 cm wide i think) each side of the rooflight....but our roof may be a tad wider than yours, due to the way a PVC narrows a bit up top.
are ypu thinking of a sat dish or any other kit on the roof?....

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back