Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
My Mum and stepfather both in their early 70's have decided they want a motorhome after years of tugging. They are both pretty clueless on the subject and so am I. I think they would have a budget of about £25K.

Any ideas as to the sort of thing they should be looking for?

They certainly like my Burstner so I was thinking perhaps a second hand Hymer of some sort. There's only 2 of them so they wouldn't need a huge thing.

Any advice greatly received and I will pass on my inherited wisdom to them and pass myself off as someone who knows what he is talking about!

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Hi treacle, don't be too worried about your Mum & Stepdad, many motorhomers have been tuggers in the past and from that you get a good idea of the kind of lay out that suits you, on the Hymers a 544 or 584 are a good size to go for just under 6 meters so quite a manageble size. The other thing a lot of us are near enough 70 and find the motorhome a wonderful freedom they give. Good Luck in the search.

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Would tend to agree with Carol on this one something around 6meters would be ideal, there is a good choice around in this size.

We have a Laika of this size and with the wife being disabled find it ideal can almost park anywhere, go anywhere and as ex tuggers although a few years ago, we find ideal.

Hope they find something suitable.

Dave :thumb::thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
My Mum and stepfather both in their early 70's

Sounds like an age for a fixed lower bed. A lot less hassle. Quick nap after a good lunch.

Apart from that it's down to personal taste.

£25K is plenty for a low mileage good used one. Watch out for a juddering X250 that has not been fixed, you don't one that shakes itself to pieces.

Would a PVC ( panel van conversion ), being a bit narrower, be easier for them ? Not so many PVCs with fixed bed though.

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
My Mum and stepfather both in their early 70's have decided they want a motorhome after years of tugging. They are both pretty clueless on the subject and so am I. I think they would have a budget of about £25K.

They certainly like my Burstner so I was thinking perhaps a second hand Hymer of some sort. There's only 2 of them so they wouldn't need a huge thing.

Any advice greatly received and I will pass on my inherited wisdom to them and pass myself off as someone who knows what he is talking about!

As Carol has said, if youve been a tugger your virtualey there. I'd say they need to look around and see what takes thier fancy, there's a lot out there for £25k.

Get out and kick some tyres.

Once they have an idea of what they like, start to ask questions about those specific vans.

There will be a lot more of a response concerning specifics than the very broad question that you have asked.
Jim
:Smile:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Tell them to go look at lots:thumb:
go for comfort in your van. It is not a lot of use having a drop down bed if you cannot climb into it or perhaps get out in the middle of the night if you had too much wine LAYOUT / comfort is the single most thing you should be looking at We have tied all sorts of layouts from 2 / 4 berth to 6 to 4 again then 6 again and now in a 2 witch suits us great. Get out and look / try out as many bed layouts and don't be scared to put up climb in etc, etc, before buying Use one of the shows or a dealer to try this and get a good idea what is going to suit you then look for what you want.
Also try hiring one for a weekend or mid week this will give a good idea as to what you want
terry

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
Over 70? then watch DVLA and the 3,500 lbs max rule

Be sure to watch the age 70 and the over 3,500 lbs rule on driving licences. Grandad (excuse the pun - no offence intended) licences have a lot of clauses when you reach 70 years of age.. and the weight you can drive is now one of them.

Bob

motor roamin

Funster
May 23, 2010
Leicester
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 mins
Be sure to watch the age 70 and the over 3,500 lbs rule on driving licences. Grandad (excuse the pun - no offence intended) licences have a lot of clauses when you reach 70 years of age.. and the weight you can drive is now one of them.

Bob

You are correct Bob, but you can renew your Cat 'C' or 'C1' licence at 70 and beyond by taking a vocational licence medical using a form D4 which is the medical form to be filled in by your doctor. Its not too stringent a medical most can pass it if you want further information feel free to pm with a mobile number and I can go through all the details.

All the best Rick

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
to avoid confusion in sloba's post......

the weight limit is 3500kg...not lbs

i know he meant kilo's but worth pointing it out. :thumb:

gj1023

Free Member
May 20, 2010
Kent
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
1 week lol
I would think there is a fair few sub 3500kg with a fixed bed around. Least then one less thing to worry about, with those. My Carioca is fixed bed 3500kg 6 metres.

Gary

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
The medical is not a doddle, mine cost me £120 plus vat and if you have diabetes or any form of stent (angiopasty) its a right performance getting one I can assure you.

Also size of van doesnt mean its 3500kg, I have a lovely Rapido autmatic on a Merc with a fixed bed and when I delivered it they said 'What you driving that for its 3850kg!! :cry:

(before i got my C1 back)

Peter

Mixter

Free Member
Dec 2, 2009
Keighley, West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Now a year - cant believe it!
Are they going to be ok for 'getting about' once on site? This being the biggest perrenial 'problem' we'e found since turning to a motorhome. Fortunately for us, we have 25 years or so on your parents, and i just wondered how suddenly having no tow car to traverse around in might hit them? Unless, they are going to up sticks all the time and use the 'van itself - which in a lot of circs isnt over practical.

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Are we then saying that once past the age of 70 you need to take a driving test of some sort or is it just the medical which is what I thought it was.

When I say just the medical its with due deference to John Cross Post.

Jim

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Are they going to be ok for 'getting about' once on site? This being the biggest perrenial 'problem' we'e found since turning to a motorhome. Fortunately for us, we have 25 years or so on your parents, and i just wondered how suddenly having no tow car to traverse around in might hit them? Unless, they are going to up sticks all the time and use the 'van itself - which in a lot of circs isnt over practical.

I dont think getting about without a car is a problem. The public transport system is good.

Ive always found it a benefit, you see a lot more when you move around with public transport than when driving a car and you can do a fair amount of walking when you want to.

When you have the car its from A to B and nothing in between.

Its the one and only reason that I dont have a TOAD.
Jim

OP
OP
Chris

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years

That's one of the reasons I gave them for keeping the caravan. If I know my stepfather though it will be a toad within days of getting the MH.

I tend to select my sites carefully so its either a walk or bus ride to a pub:Blush:

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
The medical is not a doddle, mine cost me £120 plus vat and if you have diabetes or any form of stent (angiopasty) its a right performance getting one I can assure you.

Also size of van doesnt mean its 3500kg, I have a lovely Rapido autmatic on a Merc with a fixed bed and when I delivered it they said 'What you driving that for its 3850kg!! :cry:

(before i got my C1 back)

Peter

I was about to advise asking Peter about the medical - as it appeared they tried to do all they could to kill him off first, before allowing him to drive anything C1!

As already said - you need to go by the maximum laden weight of the vehicle for these purposes, and NOT the unladen!

Although you may not use that capacity, that is the weight that VOSA go by - what it CAN carry, and not what it DOES.

novawight

Free Member
May 14, 2010
Hayling Island
Funster No
MH
hi top,
Exp
on and off 50 years
73 years young and still trucking, just take things a bit easier , i use a bus pass, and plan wher i stay near a bus stop, there are many greys out there and as they have been tugging or many years i,m probably talki:Smile:ng to the converted

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
73 years young and still trucking, just take things a bit easier , i use a bus pass, and plan wher i stay near a bus stop, there are many greys out there and as they have been tugging or many years i,m probably talki:Smile:ng to the converted

Good on you! Long may you continue - age is a state of mind.

My grandfather was still tugging when he was in his mid eighties, distance no object, still slept outside under the canopy as he always did.:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back