some advice please on changing hab batteries (1 Viewer)

beltsandbraces

Free Member
Feb 14, 2017
worthing
Funster No
MH
lunar 780
Exp
this has now become a mine field and a huge job at least in my head!!! what are the pitfalls, I have changed batteries on many occasions and apart from the obvious and avoid shorting them out. my concern is the solar panel feeding the batteries.
my system switches from habitation batteries to the vehicle battery every so often so surely disconnecting the hab battery will just make the system feed the other battery without causing any harm to said solar system???
On my control panel I can manually switch the battery usage from hab to vehicle so whilst doing the swop I was just going to do this hence keeping power to all the systems while I do the change over.

any advice gratefully received as I am running out of Just for Men!!!

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Cover the solar panel over with something whilst changing the batteries over?

If your charging system is more sophisticated than just an independently-wired solar charge controller there must presumably be a master switch for turning it all off. Can't your electrical system manage without power for a short while?

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
The cables from the solar panels should be fused. Just pull the fuses whilst you're working on the batteries.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Saltings

Free Member
Sep 12, 2016
Buckinghamshire, U.K.
Funster No
MH
Chasson C626 Flash
Exp
since 2115
The wires from our SP's go directly to the controller. I would love to know where our SP fuses were hidden unless they are within the Solar Controller itself. Having taken this off the bulkhead the only thing left is to remove the back of the controller, otherwise none are visible.

If your wires B & B go directly to the controller, what I have done is just unscrew them. Don't forget they may have 21 vs or more passing through them and DON'T FORGET TO UNPLUG THE MAINS.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back