Mar 10, 2010
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2006
IMG_9077.JPG

So, I'm on the boat, leaving the comparative safety and ease of the Isle of Man and hitting the road once more. Destination, Heysham near Lancaster, onto to Fife in Scotland to meet up with family and friends for a couple of weeks and then all the way downhill to Portsmouth where I catch the boat to Spain on the 10th of October.

I've had a lovely summer, catching up with friends and family here. It's been eventful: I cooked eight hundred meals in three days for a local festival, I did my first ever a'cappella music set (and sang to three people and two children doing wheelies on bicycles. I became a vegan (no-one more surprised than me on that one), and, following a routine gastroscopy and endoscopy procedure was told I was dying and then told I was not. So yes, it's been interesting.

20139876_10155269038010306_8468036868420910975_n.jpg

One of the wonderful things about being on home soil is access to unlimited clean water, internet, tools and friends who speak the same language as me. That time and those opportunities haven't been wasted. In the three months I've been back, I've repainted the outside of the van, fibre glassed the roof, fibre glassed and repainted the bumper that i managed to remove when I drove into the Steam Packet ticket booth in Liverpool after 8000kms trouble free driving elsewhere, added a 1500 watt inverter, painted the inside pink (yes really), added more fairy lights than they have in Blackpool, Painted and stencilled my lino floor, made myself a new bed out of a lump of memory foam with the help of an electric carving knife, made new bed covers and blankets and throws, added LED motion sensor strip lights in all the cupboards and coated all the metal underneath with some black paint described as a total solution but I call it the Devil's jizz. And finally, I repainted my step and added a new mat with some brand spanking new bottle tops to replace the ones worn down by years of scraping feet.

IMG_9058.jpg

And I got a chance to spend time with my husband Bil who I separated from in the same way I met him, in love. We've still the best of pals and he's been a good friend to me while I've been here. We share another dog and a cat and it's been so good having them around - The cat even came to stay with me in the van for a while.

IMG_8866.jpg

So it's been busy and frankly, on this four hour boat journey i'm glad of the rest. I think it's the first time I've sat down for this long for a while and it's this peace and quiet that's prompted me to write this. I've never written a forum 'blog' before but I'm going to try and write one now. It won't be frequent especially as time goes on as one of the things I leave behind on my journey is internet access of my phone. I love having while I've got it but I do so look forward to those months of living in perfect ignorance of what is going on in the rest of the world. I'll update it when I have wifi and when I have something interesting to say or maybe even if I don't have anything interesting to say.

My plan, vague as it is, is to travel down through Spain and enter Portugal further north than usual and slowly potter my way down south, spending a couple months around the Barrao area with some dear friends before heading off into Spain and on to Morocco. I've said before that I would do this - twice in fact - and it's never happened. Once I get into Portugal I never want to leave, but this time I am determined and part of the reason for me writing this is that I have some accountability to you lot to make sure I shift my ass and actually make it happen. It will be good for me to move outside where I'm comfortable - I know this - I"m just not very good at making it happen. :)

So that's it for now. A couple of hours to go sitting on my butt and then that steady uphill run into Scotland.

Till next time…

Maureen

Free Member
Oct 5, 2015
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Ditto

From one solo traveler to another "take care but have fun along the way"
Look forward to reading about your adventures

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 18, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
I'm a newbie
I rarely post but felt I had to on this one.
Please keep updating us, this is what I joined for.

I think you are quite amazing and look forward to your posts if possible.

Stay safe and enjoy

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I became a vegan (no-one more surprised than me on that one)…

Yea gods, how does that work. You waken up one morning and discover "I'm a vegan". I'll not be able to sleep at night now.

I'll keep a sausage by the bed and if it's laughing at me when I waken up I'll know I've caught it.

Mar 16, 2010
Carmarthenshire
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Since 1988
Safe and happy trip Jackie ...you truly are an inspiration

IMG_0185.JPG

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Thank you for writing that, Jackie; hidden among your words is the achievement of something I'm striving for, and you show me some of the little steps I can take to get there.
Thank you for inspiring me :love:

Sep 19, 2016
romford
Funster No
MH
rollerteam 259p
Exp
owned vw in 90's just purchased rollerteam
I have to say, you sound a bit of a nutter to me, your van sounds like something you would not want parking next too yours even on a gypsy camp, however on saying that, your trip sounds wonderful, you sound like a proper independent lady which I always admire and I wish you a happy and trouble free trip.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
and it's never happened. Once I get into Portugal I never want to leave

That sounds fantastic. If you really WANT to go to Morocco, do it but if you really love Portugal why leave, no-one is going to be pointing a finger at you "look at her, she's not going to Morocco".

My wife won't go back to Morocco. I think the begging and pushy "salesmen" got to her in the end, it took her out of her comfort zone. We have some good memories of Morocco, it is different to Europe though not startlingly different because it was a French colony so there is much we are familiar with but seeing meat hanging in the open warm air covered in flies is a whole new experience. She does want to return to Portugal after our first little venture to Pria de Roche.

For us, next year is time to get back to Italy via Germany and Austria. We keep doing this route, we love this route and we are not ashamed to be boring old farts.

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
sounds like you have a lovely trip planned enjoy im also intrigued by the motion sensor switches any detail?

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
Sounds like it's going to be a fantastic trip. Your van sounds brilliant and I hope to see it along the way sometime. Ingenious using the bottle tops on the step. Have a great journey.

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Jackie you are one of the lady's who are a inspiration, you started out unsure but determined and seem to have had a wonderful journey of self discovery, lots of folk would like to do this I'm sure, but you did it your way and made it happen, I've followed your travels when you have posted, wondered and hoped you were all right when you didn't manage to post, now I'm sure you'll follow the roads you choose and have another wonderful adventure. I really look forward to following you journal. Would love to see more photos of your van @movan will smile at that. (I have a chill room) on much the same lines with some of my momento's of our travels in Morocco etc. Safe & Happy travels

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Please do keep posting. You seem to have done an amazing amount to your MH over the summer months. As others have said, photos please.
I love people's personalised interiors (and exteriors too in your case). Mine is just as it came out of the factory- dull or what?
Wishing you safe and happy adventures.

OP
OP
J

JackieP

Free Member
Mar 10, 2010
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2006
My wife won't go back to Morocco. I think the begging and pushy "salesmen" got to her in the end, it took her out of her comfort zone.

I haven't been for a number of years and this will be first time alone. I I too have happy memories but I'm also aware that nothing stays the same and I too had some issues in the beginning with the pushy salesmen until I got the measure of how to deal with them. The good thing about having a steering wheel and four wheels is that I can always leave and, like you say, it's not a badge of honour for me, just something I really would like to do. Thank you.

OP
OP
J

JackieP

Free Member
Mar 10, 2010
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2006
sounds like you have a lovely trip planned enjoy im also intrigued by the motion sensor switches any detail?

I'd send you a link but the lights and the seller have disappeared from eBay. :0) I think others are available. It's a length of LED stick on strip lights with a battery motion sensor strip attached so that when you open the door the lights come on. Brilliant when you spend winter time in countries where it's pitch black in the morning and late afternoon. I would have preferred to make my own from a length of LED lights and individual switches wired into the 12v system but despite a lot of help on here I'm still too much of a doufus to make it work!

I can't show the before but I can show you the after… :)
IMG_8980.JPG

OP
OP
J

JackieP

Free Member
Mar 10, 2010
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2006
Would love to see more photos of your van

I don't have many recent photos and to be honest, if westhamman already thinks I am mentally ill then I'm not sure how much of my personal life I would like to share. I think pictures of the interior might just confirm his suspicions. :)

But if I ever get a sunny day I might just take a couple of the less colourful areas. :)

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
Jackie we've never met but I do remember you joining and your soul searching at the time.

I was really pleased to catch up with your return and to read that you had been on an incredible journey which is still continuing. That's what life is all about really, isn't it:).

Long may it last. Have a wonderful time & I hope our paths cross one day.
X

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
I'd send you a link but the lights and the seller have disappeared from eBay. :0) I think others are available. It's a length of LED stick on strip lights with a battery motion sensor strip attached so that when you open the door the lights come on. Brilliant when you spend winter time in countries where it's pitch black in the morning and late afternoon. I would have preferred to make my own from a length of LED lights and individual switches wired into the 12v system but despite a lot of help on here I'm still too much of a doufus to make it work!

I can't show the before but I can show you the after… :)View attachment 188839

Will you please cpme and organise my cupboards for me!!!!! That photo puts me to shame. ;)

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
PS .. well done too re the vegan revelation. My heart knows it is the way to go for me but it is so difficult to retrain my brain.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
The good thing about having a steering wheel and four wheels is that I can always leave .

That brings back a memory. We were driving over the high mountains, every view point had someone selling pots/shells/fossils so we did not stop, fed up with the aggro. Came round a bend, gorgeous views, no pots. Yippee. Out we got admiring views and I looked back down the hill and coming up it like an Olympic athlete on drugs was this guy clutching something to sell us, we just got back on the road before he got to us.

We didn't blame them of course, it's their life and their country but that does not mean we have to like it.

glastry

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 20, 2012
northern ireland and portugal
Funster No
MH
a class s550
Exp
20+
View attachment 188594

So, I'm on the boat, leaving the comparative safety and ease of the Isle of Man and hitting the road once more. Destination, Heysham near Lancaster, onto to Fife in Scotland to meet up with family and friends for a couple of weeks and then all the way downhill to Portsmouth where I catch the boat to Spain on the 10th of October.

I've had a lovely summer, catching up with friends and family here. It's been eventful: I cooked eight hundred meals in three days for a local festival, I did my first ever a'cappella music set (and sang to three people and two children doing wheelies on bicycles. I became a vegan (no-one more surprised than me on that one), and, following a routine gastroscopy and endoscopy procedure was told I was dying and then told I was not. So yes, it's been interesting.

View attachment 188595

One of the wonderful things about being on home soil is access to unlimited clean water, internet, tools and friends who speak the same language as me. That time and those opportunities haven't been wasted. In the three months I've been back, I've repainted the outside of the van, fibre glassed the roof, fibre glassed and repainted the bumper that i managed to remove when I drove into the Steam Packet ticket booth in Liverpool after 8000kms trouble free driving elsewhere, added a 1500 watt inverter, painted the inside pink (yes really), added more fairy lights than they have in Blackpool, Painted and stencilled my lino floor, made myself a new bed out of a lump of memory foam with the help of an electric carving knife, made new bed covers and blankets and throws, added LED motion sensor strip lights in all the cupboards and coated all the metal underneath with some black paint described as a total solution but I call it the Devil's jizz. And finally, I repainted my step and added a new mat with some brand spanking new bottle tops to replace the ones worn down by years of scraping feet.

View attachment 188596

And I got a chance to spend time with my husband Bil who I separated from in the same way I met him, in love. We've still the best of pals and he's been a good friend to me while I've been here. We share another dog and a cat and it's been so good having them around - The cat even came to stay with me in the van for a while.

View attachment 188597

So it's been busy and frankly, on this four hour boat journey i'm glad of the rest. I think it's the first time I've sat down for this long for a while and it's this peace and quiet that's prompted me to write this. I've never written a forum 'blog' before but I'm going to try and write one now. It won't be frequent especially as time goes on as one of the things I leave behind on my journey is internet access of my phone. I love having while I've got it but I do so look forward to those months of living in perfect ignorance of what is going on in the rest of the world. I'll update it when I have wifi and when I have something interesting to say or maybe even if I don't have anything interesting to say.

My plan, vague as it is, is to travel down through Spain and enter Portugal further north than usual and slowly potter my way down south, spending a couple months around the Barrao area with some dear friends before heading off into Spain and on to Morocco. I've said before that I would do this - twice in fact - and it's never happened. Once I get into Portugal I never want to leave, but this time I am determined and part of the reason for me writing this is that I have some accountability to you lot to make sure I shift my ass and actually make it happen. It will be good for me to move outside where I'm comfortable - I know this - I"m just not very good at making it happen. :)

So that's it for now. A couple of hours to go sitting on my butt and then that steady uphill run into Scotland.

Till next time…
+love your post,we have not met but we see your van occasionally in portugal, last glimpsed you driving through Lagos at the start of this year - there is a wee dutch lad who polishes stones -who speaks highly of you!
our 1985 hymer needs painting and we would like to see your van close up-we will be on the west coast of portugal in december and will look out for your van!
thanks

Feb 22, 2015
tain
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
since 2005
Hi jackieP
It was so good to bump into you in the services on the M74 heltel both wish you luck on your adventure and look forward to reading your posts we loved your van ,what a lovely lady ,hope our paths cross again
Best wishes
Helen and Terry

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I recommend writing up your travels on here. It's very easy and you can look back on your travels afterwards. Think of it as a free (almost :)) family album. I've been a bit short on detail on my current entries while we are in Sicily so I had to sit down this afternoon and make a determined effort to write down where we had been. But I don't mind doing it because if I don't it will all be lost - or at least the details and the impressions felt at the time will be lost. :)

Annie29

Free Member
Oct 18, 2016
Hereford
Funster No
MH
Self Build on Renault
Exp
On and off for 5 years
You are an inspiration to us solo female adventurers. Keep up the blogging. I would love your confidence to do the Portugal trip. I did it a couple of years ago, but having broken down in Scotland recently and been abandoned by the breakdown company I chose, I think I've lost a bit of what it takes! Your van looks amazing - park beside mine any day.
Happy, carefree and careful travels.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back