solo motorhome travel (1 Viewer)

Dec 4, 2007
worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Winnebago
Exp
20 years
I find myself at a very strange time just lost my wife and very diffecult to go away in the Rv as every thing is couples which is great and l have enjoyed that for the last 20 years, but now l feel like a spare p*** at a wedding, l am not anti sosuable and can mix, carnt spell, anybody been there any tips. Paul

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Paul sorry to hear about yor loss. Just attend meets as per normal you can still enjoy them, there are plenty of other singles out there. no need to hold back you will always be made welcome at "Fun" meets so get booking Now.:thumb::thumb::thumb:
Come and meet people in chat, we don't bite, unless you are female and ask nicely.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Hi Paul, I can only guess but it must be difficult to do things on your own that you once did together with your wife. However, its rare on Fun meets not to have singles attend so at least there you won't suffer from that Gooseberry feeling.

I have been asked if I should set up a solo motorhomers section here before, not given it much thought since then, maybe we should.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Hi Paul
I can only echo Wildmans comments, I can think of a couple of chaps in your position and a few ladies too, who regularly attend the fun meets, get in the coach and come join us, any time any meet you will be more than made welcome, as for the spelling welcome to the club:Doh:
Geo

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
Hi Paul, I can only guess but it must be difficult to do things on your own that you once did together with your wife. However, its rare on Fun meets not to have singles attend so at least there you won't suffer from that Gooseberry feeling.

I have been asked if I should set up a solo motorhomers section here before, not given it much thought since then, maybe we should.

That is a definite YES !!! A friend of ours "gizmo" on the site but too shy to post, is a lone female now after her husband died and has joined a couple of singles groups that she found in the MMM.:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

daveyboy

Free Member
Mar 2, 2009
cambs
Funster No
MH
rv
Exp
firstly, sorry about your loss.

now you quite simply have to get out and about.
if you fancy something slightly different to normal camping then get youself off to yanks weekend at shakespear county raceway at stratford on avon at the end of the month, see a whole line up of yank cars racing down the strip. plenty of rv,s there.

i believe there are a few people attending this event and then attending the caravan and camping show at stratford racecourse. you could turn the two into a nice weeklong holiday.

Gonewiththewind

Free Member
Sep 13, 2007
Lancashire
Funster No
Exp
July 2007
SNAP!!! albeit 6 years ago(still feels like yesterday). I go to most of the shows and park up with the mob. My problem is going away touring, all seems so pointless. but I did force my self last year, 3 weeks through France and Spain. Lonely or what! but managed to enjoy myself. The only advice I can give, is push and enjoy.

Don

OP
OP
paulharrison
Dec 4, 2007
worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Winnebago
Exp
20 years
However, its rare on Fun meets not to have singles attend so at least there you won't suffer from that Gooseberry feeling.

Hi Jim no problem on Fun meets, met some great people at Newark its the bigger pitcure like traveling abroad, l have done it and phoned the kids every day but you feel very vonrable if you had a medicle problem, a solo travel forum may be a idea as l think theres a lot of people like me and it can happen to us all, and anythink helps. Paul

OP
OP
paulharrison
Dec 4, 2007
worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Winnebago
Exp
20 years
firstly, sorry about your loss.

now you quite simply have to get out and about.
if you fancy something slightly different to normal camping then get youself off to yanks weekend at shakespear county raceway at stratford on avon at the end of the month, see a whole line up of yank cars racing down the strip. plenty of rv,s there.

i believe there are a few people attending this event and then attending the caravan and camping show at stratford racecourse. you could turn the two into a nice weeklong holiday.

I go there a lot and will be at the Yanks weekend Paul

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
sorry for your sad loss paul.

dont worry about being a lone motorhomer.

i usualy end up going to the meets/shows on my own so no big deal really.

staging lady

Free Member
Nov 12, 2007
North Wales in the Hills
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
6 years but caravan owner in past
Hi Paul
We met at Newark in the pavilion.
Are you coming to the bring and buy meet with Haganap in June at Cheshire or the show at Stratford?
Love to see you there and catch up.:Smile::Smile:
Lucille

johng

Free Member
Aug 15, 2007
Kent/Sussex UK
Funster No
MH
1984 C ClassGMC
Exp
Hi Paul, my sympathies..

Try something like

companions to travel .com (C2T.com possibly) it costs a couple of quid, and I am not sure how many users are still active...

Quite a few folks on there may be in a similar position.. I sometimes post, to see if anyone wants the odd week away.. got some interest although the van is undergoing surgery at moment...

John

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2008
Barril da Alva, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
on and off for the whole of my existance
Hi Paul,
I am off to Croatia at the end of July, If you fancy a trip in that direction. Only a two week trip is planned but I will be popping off across to Parc Verger on the way back so you could join me there too. You will always be made welcome at the meets as i have been. ( Single Bloke with two dogs).
Happy travels,
Cheyne

RuthRv

Free Member
Jan 4, 2008
Funster No
Hi Paul,
so sorry to hear your sad news, but please don't hide away, i get what you are saying that meets are not such a problem, its when you go touring that you feel it the most, but I am sure that the tips that you have been given on this site will help, good luck for the future and keep your chin up.:thumb:

Losos

Free Member
Feb 17, 2009
Suffolk & Czechland
Funster No
MH
Looking to buyi
Exp
N/a
However, its rare on Fun meets not to have singles attend so at least there you won't suffer from that Gooseberry feeling.

Paul, firstly sincere condolances on your loss, it must be hard.

However, Jim is right, I was recently at two Fun meet ups on my own and het a lot of people and didn't get the 'gooseberry' feeling at all.

My future MHing in Uk will predominantly be on my own with only the one annual trip with all the pack so I'll buy you a beer if we bump into each other in the future (That's a promise)

pudseykeith

Free Member
Nov 5, 2007
Leeds West Riding of York
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
6 Years
Hi Paul
So sorry to hear of your great loss. Its a an event that all couples dread. you must stick to your friends tho and continue to do the things you enjoy doing. Stick with the Fun, a friendlier bunch of people is hard to find.
Best wishes,
Rosalie and pudseykeith.

Last edited:
OP
OP
paulharrison
Dec 4, 2007
worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Winnebago
Exp
20 years
Thanks to everybody got some possitve tips now see you at stratford Lucille
and any solo travel out there thinking of going to the Munich beer fest in sept get in touch
Paul

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
Hi Paul
We met at Newark in the pavilion.
Are you coming to the bring and buy meet with Haganap in June at Cheshire or the show at Stratford?
Love to see you there and catch up.:Smile::Smile:
Lucille

Sorry to go off topic, but can you tell me more about the bring and buy sale as it's just down the road from us !!!:thumb:

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
I find it strange as a single person now although we split up (a good move for me) but its still strange as I can now do what I like:Smile:

Cant imagine how your loss must feel but dread loosing my dad who I care for (life will be real empty without him as we have always been extremely close)

Take things one at a time and do a meet or two as you wont be on your own (you'll have as much or little company as you want)

Chin up mate.

K

kenj

Deleted User
Hello Paul,
sorry to hear of your loss,i dont think anybody can give you any tip's on how to keep motorhome without your partner,but keep going you must, as getting out and mixing is the best therapy there is,i know as i have been doing it now for over 23yrs.i find that if you are among like minded people with the same interest's M/Homes you will always be welcome and not left out.I have not used my M/Home for a year now but re insured it today so will soon be seen at a few gatherings,so go out and join in Paul and we may meet up one day at one of the meeting's,time is a great healer and so is good company.

Ken

Feb 3, 2008
Highworth
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 85
I find myself at a very strange time just lost my wife and very diffecult to go away in the Rv as every thing is couples which is great and l have enjoyed that for the last 20 years, but now l feel like a spare p*** at a wedding, l am not anti sosuable and can mix, carnt spell, anybody been there any tips. Paul

Hi Paul all I can say is gofor it my better half Sue did it on her own for four years when her husband died,their will always be friends to help

Pete

OP
OP
paulharrison
Dec 4, 2007
worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Winnebago
Exp
20 years
Munich beer fest.... now that would be good..

The fest is good the year l went 2001 there was over 700 motorhomes from all over europe after two days every thing you eat, touched smelt of lager the camping is on a show ground just outside munich by a train station so its easy to get around the show goes on 5 days with a big tent on site entertainment every nite and big 1ltr stiens of german beer Paul

Boo

Free Member
Jan 26, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A cls
Exp
9 years
I'm so so sorry for your loss and can't begin to imagine how you feel, I've been on my own quite a few years now (by choice) and I know what you mean about travelling alone, no one to point things out to and such............I have travelled alot so never seattled in one place long enough to get really good friends.

Well, I'm hoping that all that will change now I've become a funster ::bigsmile:

So come on..........all of us could get c.b's and point out what ever we want to each other on the rig during trips.........it's not like being alone then :thumb:

Boo

P.s would love to have another dog when I can retire..................she was my best freind

OP
OP
paulharrison
Dec 4, 2007
worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Winnebago
Exp
20 years
Hi Boo mobiles are the new c b so its much easier, l have asked jim about a solo forum where we could swop views if you ask him as well, l am getting used to being alone and get a lot of support form my kids but do like traveling in my own space but its nice to prop the bar up and put the world to right with people you can trust Paul

carpyone

Free Member
Mar 28, 2008
Needingworth, Cambs
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
3 years
I Know exactly how you feel. My wife of 39 years has had to live in a nursing home since March last year because of severe disability. I had looked after her myself for 12 years, eventhough she didn't know who I was, and still doesn't when I make my weekly visits.

It was because I became a single traveller that I changed from a caravan to a motorhome. I usually spend 2/3 nights away in it a week. It gets me out the house and my loneliness, theres always someone to talk to on a site, and as I enjoy fishing have found many a site with a lake on. Again another place to meet and chat about "the one that got away".

I have not yet felt able to go on a rally, though I did book for the Fishing meet which I have just found out is not taking place!

It's not an easy time for you but "time is a great healer."

Best wishes

L

looking

Deleted User
companeion

SNAP!!! albeit 6 years ago(still feels like yesterday). I go to most of the shows and park up with the mob. My problem is going away touring, all seems so pointless. but I did force my self last year, 3 weeks through France and Spain. Lonely or what! but managed to enjoy myself. The only advice I can give, is push and enjoy.

Don
Hi Don and Paul and any other solos out there that feel lonely,Why be on your own when you could take a companion and half your expenses. It is more fun with two I know I have been there. I am 72 fit and love live. think motorhomeing is great but dont now have one, For lots of reasions. I am straight, clean and enjoy a good laugh.I dont have two heads ,3 legs or any other add bits. enjoy a drink but dont over do it and I dont smoke.I would be willing to travele to you so we could see if we would get on before any one agreed to take me with them. Think about it what have you got to lose if you give a short trip ago you may like it and it would beat been lonely.
sorry I can not spell either, George, {looking}

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back