Solar. Where did the 8volts Go? (1 Viewer)

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Morning All,
I had a problem removing a panel and posted elsewhere.

I have installed three panels to the roof. On doing the Grand opening, NOTHING at the controller. I couldn't get to the connections as I had tidily put them all under one of the panels (Doh!)

Prior to starting this job I had one panel. The previously mentioned 'Numpties' who installed my original panel didn't fit MC4 Connectors to the panel (they had been removed previously as the panel was free standing with a small PWM Controller glued to the rear.) Said Numpties 'Hard Wired' the panel (they did a good job of that) and then glued and screwed the panel to the roof. They made a right Royal %^$£& of that.

Before I started on the below job, my first job was to install a pair of MC4 connectors on both the panel and the wires coming out of the gland.

The roof now has an array of three panels. Before installing, each of them was tested and showed a voltage of 20+ V.

Each of the three panels is plugged into a manufactured 3 to 1 MC4 connector. (x2). The panels are connected in parallel.
At the outlet of that connector the voltage measured is a healthy 20+ v.

The 3 into 1 is then plugged into cables going through the roof via a gland.

However, before the cable could enter the Controller (I have removed the wires) The voltage is now reading 12.6v It would seem that the controller doesn't 'See' this Voltage and is not working. (If I've got that bit right.)

Could it be as simple as Emmit making a mullock of fitting that MC4 connector where the wire goes through the gland?

The reason I had to remove the panel is obvious. I couldn't get to any of the connections because there's no space under the panel where all the connections are.

So, There you have it.

Does anyone out there have any suggestions, solutions.

Apr 6, 2019
Eye, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
FourWinds Windsport 6.8L V10
To clarify -
Voltage at cables on roof before they disappear - 20V?
Voltage inside van on other end of cable - 12.6V?

Or are you taking the reading from the controller? As you MAY just be looking at your battery voltages?
Also - Controller has to be wired in sequence - Battery then Solar (just in case you didnt know).

OP
OP
Emmit

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
To clarify -
Voltage at cables on roof before they disappear - 20V?
Voltage inside van on other end of cable - 12.6V?

Or are you taking the reading from the controller? As you MAY just be looking at your battery voltages?
Also - Controller has to be wired in sequence - Battery then Solar (just in case you didnt know).

Jev88 I don't whether there's an 'Embarrassed' Emoji 'thing but if there isn't, there should be.

I was reading the 'wrong' terminals but that was combined with a duff MC4 connection.
Thank you for jumping in. (I did have the very dim 'Light bulb' moment before I read your help)(y)

Thank you re the sequence. Before I do the connecting I will blanket the solars and do as you say.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 6, 2019
Eye, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
FourWinds Windsport 6.8L V10
Jev88 I don't whether there's an 'Embarrassed' Emoji 'thing but if there isn't, there should be.

I was reading the 'wrong' terminals but that was combined with a duff MC4 connection.
Thank you for jumping in. (I did have the very dim 'Light bulb' moment before I read your help)(y)

Thank you re the sequence. Before I do the connecting I will blanket the solars and do as you say.
I made the same mistake with my first panel - rang the previous Funster to ask why the controller was dead... didn't know about the 1,2,3,4 rule for attaching the wires so that the controller can first see the battery it is dealing with before deciding what to do with the solar energy coming down the other lines.

OP
OP
Emmit

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
I can report that the %£$&^% panel is now up on the roof, 'glued' down, never to be removed again,(well, not in my ownership) with electricity coursing down to the Battery(ies)

When I came in after commissioning the system, I was getting 5+ amps without the Sun shining.

Eight letter Yorkshire word meaning Suitable comes to mind. = That'lldo.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back