Solar setup help (1 Viewer)

Nov 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Challenger 287GA
Exp
Since 2020
Lenny HB I need to pick your brains if I may!!

I'm planning our solar setup for the new van. I've read up on the difference between mono and poly panels, PWM and MPPT and want to run this by you before ordering parts if that would be ok?

plan would be for 2 of these 175W Victron mono rigid panels. These would be wired in parallel into this 100/20 Victron smart-solar controller.

I've used the Victron MPPT calculator for working out which controller I should be using, but would appreciate your expertise here as this is a bit new to me.

Want to stay with the victron controller at least, as I like the way their products seem to work well together and provide a good upgrade path for additional units to be linked in to a common infrastructure.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
I fitted a 150w panel and as the controller was to be fitted under the bench with loads of stuff stored in there I went for a 250w conrtoller. Bit of spare capacity for when it's 40°c in Benidorm.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
RubyOptics
Nov 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Challenger 287GA
Exp
Since 2020
Amazon will deliver tomorrow. No idea if this is a good price but they've got one..

Amazon product ASIN B073ZJ3L13
Many thanks, but we are outside of the UK. The supplier we ordered from was also on Amazon and was just a complete farce from beginning to end. Just got back from buying the 100/50, so all is well now but thank you for taking the time to look for us.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
RubyOptics
Nov 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Challenger 287GA
Exp
Since 2020
This may work in your advantage with future use changes. Yes absolutely no problem going one bigger, just the cost.
If you have space for a portable 175w, you could have one stored at the back, with two tails ready from the same controller, and deploy plug in as needed. I have two portable 115w x2 with door hinges on to store them shut at the back doors. The solar connects to the panels via MC4’s with the tabs clipped so I can pull them out when I pack up.
That's an interesting idea and one I may revisit at some point in the future. The whole power system is a really interesting subject for me and I'd like to thank both you personally and others on this thread for what has been a real education on solar energy.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back