Solar seriously nipping my head (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Probably that dodgy five quid regulator. :ROFLMAO:
It is a cheap Chinese one but to be fair it doesn't seem to have the problem it's the shaudt panel that can't make it's mind up lol.

The cheap regulator seems to get not bad reviews on YouTube etc

I didn't choose it ...it just came with the kit I bought when I fitted the solar.
It will be interesting to see if it charges them up again tomorow when I've not driven it

H

Hagstrom

Deleted User
I read as much as I could about fitting solar to our Frankia with the Elektroblok 220 and DT220 display panel, like yours.

I was convinced by experts' arguments that said connecting the solar regulator directly to the leisure batteries would confuse the Elektroblok data logic metering and produce wierd results at the display.

So I had a Schaudt solar regulator fitted and wired into the Elektroblok using the supplied cable and has behaved much as expected.

In hindsight, I should have fitted the Schaudt LRM1218 (MPPT version) instead of the LR1218.

I also read that Voltronic make even better Regulators than Schaudt and these are compatible with the Elektroblok data monitoring system.

Also, we're in Spain in the winter and found that having stuff delivered to a campsite works out ok.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
My previous moho was an Adria with a Schaudt EBL. I installed 200W of solar with an LR1218 regulator going through the EBL and 2 lead acid batteries and the system worked well all the time I had it. Present Hymer moho also has an EBL and the dealer installed 250W of solar with an LRM1218 regulator, again going through the EBL, and they also installed 2 AGM batteries. They also fitted a Victronic BMV700 monitor because the new Schaudt control panels are very basic and only show voltage. Again the system has performed very well.

If I were in your shoes I would splash the cash and fit an LRM1218 through the EBL.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
If you're thinking about getting a Schaudt regulator Tam, check out German eBay, I bought mine from there a couple of years ago and it was about ÂŁ25 cheaper, delivered, than the only one advertised on the UK site, which happened to be from Brownhills.

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
Doesn't seem to be....ive checked and tightened all connections many times

I fitted those connection on my solar and had no end of trouble getting a reliable connection. I eventually did away with them and bought some standard chock block connectors and made my own water proof box, then hid them all under the panels. Also the cables and connections on your roof are going to be blown about everytime you move the van - again risking a bad connection.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-Conn...566489?hash=item3f669df0d9:g:shQAAOSwBLlVGSpY

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
It all seems to be working fine again ...few hours sun today and batteries are at full capacity 100% and 13.8v at the minute

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
So just an update...solar seems to be charging no problem now each day it's back up at 100% hopefully it was just needing reset.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back