Solar replacement / upgrade can commence! (1 Viewer)

Pusscat

Free Member
Jun 16, 2019
Devon UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Rio 320
Exp
Since 2015
Well my parts have arrived!

Panasonic stopped making the HIT solar panels, you can now get something similar under the name Evervolt but not in the slim version that will only fit in the space on my Swift Rio 320..

So, a certain Marketplace search and fortunately, I found someone with 3 relatively new (2017 /18) pany HIT 245w panels that he took off a German Motorhome about 18 months ago. It was obviously ‘to be’ as the week I found them, I was travelling within 3 miles of his home in Manchester (i’m in Devon) so I popped in and bought one! Really nice chap, unfortunately, he had to get rid of the van and was selling bits off. Checked it with a multimeter and it was fine.
Supplier Part No: VBHN245SJ25
Weight: 14 kg
Rated Power: 245 W
MCS Reference: MCS PV0034/29
Length: 1,580 mm
Width: 798 mm
Depth: 35 mm
Vmpp:4 4.3 V
Impp: 5.54 A
Voc: 53 V
Temp. Coefficient (Mpp): -0.29 %
Clamp position on panel: Long side only
Connector Type: MC4 MATEABLE
Efficiency: 19.4 %

So the 245w is going to be attached with metal brackets onto the van roof with Sikaflex 522 and stainless steel screws.

The panel will have twin 6mm2 cables about 8m each going into an EPEver DuoRacer D3210N-DDS 30A MPPT Dual Regulator which will charge both leisure and starter batteries. I could have used the next sized down, but the supplier didn’t have one and I don’t mind the extra capacity! The MPPT controller will be about 0.5 m from the leisure batteries. I’ll have a 20amp in-line fuse which I can use as a cut out near the panel. I was going to go for a larger wire but was advised by the supplier that 6mm2 will be fine for my panel and length of cable.

Then 10mm2 from the controller to the battery with a 30amp inline fuse and a temperature sensor to the MPPT controller and located near the battery. The 2 leisure batteries to be connected together via short 50mm2 connectors.

I’ll also fit the 10mm2 cables from the battery area to where the new compressor fridge will be (allowing 8m lengths ) put a fuse in that line and also a switch so I can turn it off a night if it’s too noisy.

The compressor fridge will hopefully be the Vitifrigio C115 and the instructions advise connection direct to the L battery rather than the electrical control unit. I currently have a 3 way Dometic 8505aes which I think is about 98 litres so 115 will be a bit more and the freezer section is about 5 litres more as well. It should slot straight in with a bit of space to spare at the top.

Looking forward to ice that won’t dissolve the moment it’s added to a G&T! I have 2 fans fitted to suck out warm air from the current fridge vents (PC fans) for warmer climes but it’s just not up to my demands for really cold drinks after a hot day lounging around doing sod all…

Added to all that will be two new L36-EFB YUASA LEISURE BATTERY 12V each 100AHs.Hopefully it shouldn’t catch fire or melt! I’ve added fuses that should pop well before the associated wires do…

I did contact Sargent about adding the extra L battery asking if the existing wiring would cope and they told me “The PX300 charger and the EC460 power supply unit are designed for a maximum of 220 AH so 2x 100 AH batteries will cause no issues whatsoever. The wiring from your alternator should be fine, however, please contact Swift customer services…” I did use a calculator with length of wire, voltage drop etc etc and the cross section should be fine.

The set up probably won’t keep the fridge going for more than a few days off grid in uk winter months but I hope it’ll be fine spring to autumn UK and maybe all year round in Spain.

Can’t think of anything else I need to add…any gaping holes I need to be aware of?!

I’ll be installing the old 100w panel, mppt and battery at my father’s so he can water the garden with a pump from the water butts..every little helps!

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
Well done on finding a Panasonic, very good choice. They stoped making them as the triple layer was getting expensive, and others are cheaper. Same happened to Solar World. They put to much in it, and eventually the market favoured the cheaper option. LG will have the same fate.

OP
OP
Pusscat

Pusscat

Free Member
Jun 16, 2019
Devon UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Rio 320
Exp
Since 2015
yes! When I did the research, found the HIT panels to have a very good review, particularly for the more cloudy days so I found out they’d been discontinued was determined to find one! Also it means I can fit a panel into the only space I have which will give me max input With them being quite narrow.

The 2 new batteries have arrived and I’ve been find hidden routes for the cables. I just basically need to get the old panel off now.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back