Solar regulator thinks it is night time. (1 Viewer)

Sep 2, 2012
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
Any suggestions? Solar panel is working according to the regulator but having run the engine when I switch it off the regulator then shows the night sign, ie the new moon pic. It then stays like that for the rest of the day and only starts to operate again after a long period of darkness. In other words the next day.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Hi.. I dont know why it would indicate night mode but the fact it does resume normal operation eventually may suggest that your leisure batteries are full..
If you are concerned..disconnect and re boot making sure the battery connected first then the panels..
If you post the type and make it may help someone help you..
Andy

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
Does the 'night mode' definitely affect the solar charging? Some controllers have all kinds of complicated switching that only affects the 'Load' terminals - which are unused in motorhome applications, so can be ignored. As andy63 says, the make and model of the solar controller would help.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
cakey
Sep 2, 2012
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
autorouter I will post the make and model number of the regulator later on this morning

Thanks

OP
OP
cakey
Sep 2, 2012
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
The regulator is a EPEVER VS2024AU. It was fitted along with the solar panel 3 years ago and to date I have been pleased with both the panel and the regulator and especially with the 2 USB ports.
Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Ah, you've got the extra special 'moon' panels which only work at night ... :giggle:

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
The manual says if there's a fault, you can restart the controller or wait for one full day/night cycle.
Do you have a multimeter? It would help to know the voltages of the PV and Batt terminals, before running the engine, while the engine is running, and after the engine has stopped and the display is in night mode.

Am I right to assume there's nothing connected to the load terminals?

OP
OP
cakey
Sep 2, 2012
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
The manual says if there's a fault, you can restart the controller or wait for one full day/night cycle.
Do you have a multimeter? It would help to know the voltages of the PV and Batt terminals, before running the engine, while the engine is running, and after the engine has stopped and the display is in night mode.

Am I right to assume there's nothing connected to the load terminals?
Yes you are right there is nothing connected to the load terminals. I will log on to the link you have provided and see if I can make any sense of it.

Aug 11, 2022
Funster No
MH
vw transporter
I have the same thing also, constantly on "night mode" even though the battery is less than half full, and we are currently having a heat wave.

Oct 31, 2022
Funster No
MH
just looking
Hey there i have the same controller.Does anyone knows if the usb ports gives energy(through battery) in the night also,or just during sunshine?
Thank you

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back