Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Solar regulator protection, if the battery is removed from a solar setup without disconnecting the solar panel there is a good chance the regulator will blow. So having inadvertently lost a few regulators on a setup used to charge spare batteries I have pondered on the use of a relay to connect the solar power to the regulator. Power for said relay coming from the battery being charged. So remove connections from the battery and sold panal automatically turned off thus protecting the regulator. It seems too simple what am I missing and if that simple why is it not built into regulators already.

Last edited:

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
I've never had a failure from disconnecting either my own or people I fitted for disconnecting theirs. Reconnection sequence is more important. Some regulators are just cheap junk

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
I've never known a solar reg to die because of the battery being disconnected. There are some solar regs that do dual voltage though, the Victron ones we use for a start, that are dual voltage and MUST be connected to battery first to establish harging voltage require, if connected to solar first they default to 24V charging. Obviously regs of this type need to be disconnected from the solar feed first and reconnected to it last.

D.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Reactions: JJ
OP
OP
W

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
aha so my post regulator has defaulted to 24v after the battery croc clips came off then. Explains a lot.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back