Feb 26, 2013
Kent
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
1 year
morning all

I have a newly installed system a single 100W panel.

When looking at the controller it tells me I am getting 20.1V yet only 0.2A input from the panel and it is bright sunshine.

The battery is reading 13.8V on the controller which is the setting for a float charge from the controller.

I have left the MH for a couple of weeks in storage and only just went and picked it up today. So given the batteries read 13.8V on float it would appear the solar is keeping them charged, assuming the batteries would have lost some volts over two weeks of no use.

So is it normal to see such a high amount of volts and such a low amp reading coming from the panels?

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
The charge voltage depends on the amount of daylight/sun brightness. Whilst the charge current (amps) is regulated by the controller so that the battery is offered the max amount needed to keep the battery charged but no more, hence a fully charged battery will have the current reduced to prevent overcharging and gassing. all appears to be working as it should.:thumb:

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
morning all

I have a newly installed system a single 100W panel.

When looking at the controller it tells me I am getting 20.1V yet only 0.2A input from the panel and it is bright sunshine.

The battery is reading 13.8V on the controller which is the setting for a float charge from the controller.

I have left the MH for a couple of weeks in storage and only just went and picked it up today. So given the batteries read 13.8V on float it would appear the solar is keeping them charged, assuming the batteries would have lost some volts over two weeks of no use.

So is it normal to see such a high amount of volts and such a low amp reading coming from the panels?

Basically, yes, it is normal. As the charger has almost disconnected the panel, the average voltage will rise closer to its open circuit value.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007

Perfectly normal.

13.6 (ish) it the voltage to float them at. People see 12V battery but in fact it's just about flat when it reads 12V.

It's telling you that your system needs just 0.2A or 200mA to survive.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back