Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Quick question from someone who is clueless..

If a new van comes with a factory fitted solar panel is it likely to have an inverter fitted?

If not, am I right in thinking that the panel will just charge the leisure battery so I could use lights and tv but not say charge my phone?

Thanks.

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
no its not likely to have an inverter unless its advertised as such. For charging mobile phones etc get yourself a 12 volt charger, cheap as chips and a much more energy efficient way to charge portable items.

D.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I should have thought that it is unlikely that the van will have an inverter fitted. The panel will keep the leisure battery topped up so everything on the 12v circuit will remain usable for longer.

Depending on the charging circuitry installed by the manufacturer the panel may well send a float charge to the starter battery as well as charging the leisure battery.

To charge phones/laptops/tablets we use either car chargers which plug into a cigar lighter socket or (increasingly) USB leads. If the 12v sockets in the van are not the lighter type it's an easy job to replace the plug with one compatible with the sockets. I've done that on a couple of multi-socket adapters, one of which has lighter sockets (from Aldi) and the other of which has both lighter and USB sockets (from Lidl).

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Chris

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Thank you gentlemen:thumb:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
As has already been said, if your charging anything from a mobile phone to a laptop use 12volt direct.
Dont know what van you have been looking at but if its an RMB Silver Star, yes it comes from the factory with solar panels and a pure sine wave inverter fitted.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
As with the answers above, we have a solar panel and run everything off the 12v - our inverter is now permanently disconnected and the EHU cable is gathering dust. It helps to have LED light bulbs fitted.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back