solar powered cab battery chargers????? (1 Viewer)

Skeggysue

Free Member
Sep 26, 2007
Skegness, Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic XL
Exp
Since 2004
My brother has moved home and due to lack of parking space on his property he has had to put his motorhome into storage when not in use. He does not have a rooftop solar panel installed and the storage do not provide an electric hook up for keeping batteries topped up etc. Does anyone know of any solar powered gadget they can leave in the cab window that will successfully trickle charge his cab battery to prevent it from draining completely flat?
I've see some solar powered units for sale quite reasonably that you can leave in the car window to charge but whether they are powerful enough to do the job I haven't got a clue? So any advice would be most appreciated.
Thank you
Sue x

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
My brother has moved home and due to lack of parking space on his property he has had to put his motorhome into storage when not in use. He does not have a rooftop solar panel installed and the storage do not provide an electric hook up for keeping batteries topped up etc. Does anyone know of any solar powered gadget they can leave in the cab window that will successfully trickle charge his cab battery to prevent it from draining completely flat?
I've see some solar powered units for sale quite reasonably that you can leave in the car window to charge but whether they are powerful enough to do the job I haven't got a clue? So any advice would be most appreciated.
Thank you
Sue x
Why not put a proper one on the roof£150 job done

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Most of the ones you see for sale for keeping batteries topped up are a waste of time often only 2.5 watts, need absolute min of 10 watt even that won't do much behind a windscreen as output will be reduced as windscreens make excellent UV filters. Best to get a 20 watt panel and cheap regulator. Probably better to spend a few more quid and fit a roof panel would then be able to keep leisure & cab batteries charged and can forget about it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 23, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
knaus van ti 600mg
Exp
Getting There since 2013
I got one of those windscreen solar panels found it to be a waste of time. I did have the solar panel on the roof but it didn't change the cab battery I have now fix this by fitting a battery master which works with the roof panel and is working great :) The long term benefits would be getting the roof panel fitted.

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Another vote for a roof panel and battery master. dont know what van your brother has, but ours did not charge the vehicle battery from hook up, only the leisure one. Believe this is not uncommon in European vans. Battery master fitted now all ok, both batteries charge from solar and hook up now. result.

mike mcglynn

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jan 6, 2008
St. Helens MERSEYSIDE
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick XL
Exp
A long time now
Hi,I have a 13 watt type folding briefcase one complete with a set of adapters and battery clips if you want it same as the maplins ones you can have it for £ 20 :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JFD

Apr 9, 2015
Crawley Down, West Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
Pilote Aventura G730
Exp
since 2014!
On our previous motorhome - an ancient Pilote on a Talbot base, we used to suffer from dead battery when he was on the farm (local storage!). We added a small portable panel, directly connected to the vehicle battery, and left on the scuttle behind the windscreen, and never had the 'flat battery' problem again! It's only a trickle charge, but that's all you need to keep a vehicle battery happy.

We don't use it now, as we have two roof panels, and a Battery Master.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
I did use a 10w panel to maintain the battery of a smart car in a barn whilst in storage quite successfully. So for the minimum cost 15quid from Aldi currently it is worth a punt

I use one currently to keep the classic battery up whilst the car is under "restoration". So far it is keeping it at a consistent 12.8volts.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back