Solar power (1 Viewer)

Dec 4, 2008
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion. IH
Exp
50 years on and off
Spent a great deal of time reading all comments and many of the threads in respect of solar power.
Decided it was..after all these years ..for me.
As a lifer on EHU sites the thought of being able to park anywhere in my Ducato Campervan was very appealing.
I read all the expert opinion on the site..checked out suppliers and prices prices..
Then it hit me..the size of my Porta Potty..4 days..???
No shower for days..nah..Another dream bites the dust
Happy Easter 🐣

Mar 26, 2020
Uranus
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 185
Exp
Spent a great deal of time reading all comments and many of the threads in respect of solar power.
As a lifer on EHU sites the thought of being able to park anywhere in my Ducato Campervan was very appealing.
I read all the expert opinion on the site..checked out suppliers and prices prices..
Happy Easter 🐣
It's a personal needs and wants. In general, for me, I'd agree with you as we don't wild-camp and the van is plugged in whilst at home. However, on a couple of occasions we've got to a campsite where no EHU were available or they were down for some reason or other. Without a solar panel that would've been a show stopper, but with a panel it enabled us to stay for a couple of days with no loss of facilities.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Happy Easter 🐣
Carry a spare cassette/waste container for the loo & fit an additional water tank.

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
There are lots of places where you can pay £5 to dump your waste and collect fresh water and give it 2 years and Aires will have sprung up all over 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Happy Easter 🐣
Unless you are a particularly 'smelly' person needing to shower every day a good old flannel down works instead. You can easily extend your toilet emptying duration by getting a second cassette.

OP
OP
V
Dec 4, 2008
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion. IH
Exp
50 years on and off
Not particularly " smelly " and I tend to sit down wind mostly..but I like to shower at least every other day..
Your " advice " is taken..in respect of a second " potty"..but I think we will ignore all the Solar/ battery advice.. and continue to use EHU on the various sites we enjoy .

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
and continue to use EHU on the various sites we enjoy .
Clearly if all of your 'holidays' are spent on sites with EHU, then you have no need for solar panels.

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2019
Seek and Ye May Find
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
Last weekend I was on a New Forest site for two nights. Water points and CDP only. Solar kept the batteries going. Was able to empty the cassette, top off the tanks as much as needed. Not smelly at all with the on board shower, even after a nice cycle ride. I might well do similar this weekend. In a few weeks time I'll be on a New Forest site for 7 nights as part of the Funster setup. again no EHU, just water and CDP available. I don't expect to go anywhere, so solar will have to keep the battery going with a hope I'll have enough that I can recharge an e-bike battery at least once.

Staying on sites with EHU particularly New Forest area significantly restricts the choice and availability. It's not a cost thing since you'll take forever to recoup an extra £10-£15 per night for the EHU to non EHU sites, versus the cost of having solar and stuff. Ultimately solar for me has meant greater variety of where I go.

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Last weekend I was on a New Forest site for two nights. Water points and CDP only. Solar kept the batteries going. Was able to empty the cassette, top off the tanks as much as needed. Not smelly at all with the on board shower, even after a nice cycle ride. I might well do similar this weekend. In a few weeks time I'll be on a New Forest site for 7 nights as part of the Funster setup. again no EHU, just water and CDP available. I don't expect to go anywhere, so solar will have to keep the battery going with a hope I'll have enough that I can recharge an e-bike battery at least once.

Staying on sites with EHU particularly New Forest area significantly restricts the choice and availability. It's not a cost thing since you'll take forever to recoup an extra £10-£15 per night for the EHU to non EHU sites, versus the cost of having solar and stuff. Ultimately solar for me has meant greater variety of where I go.
We did 6 nights on a rally in the New Forest last week. Batteries were kept topped up for the whole time. Just water & CDP available.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
We did 6 nights on a rally in the New Forest last week. Batteries were kept topped up for the whole time. Just water & CDP available.
We survived 14 nights on a Stellaplatz in Germany last October :giggle:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Depends what you mean by 'porta potty'

A cassette toilet where you extract the cassette from an outside locker to empty it or one of those posh bucket things you keep in a cupboard?

Bobby-gg

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2020
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Ducato IH pvc
Exp
Since 2010
I've just installed a single 175w panel on my ih and spent last night, and staying again tonight, in basically a field and the battery usage from last night was fully replenished by 10:00 am this morning 👍

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
I'm sure we could have lasted longer but we were on a rally that finished on Sunday otherwise we would have stayed longer!
Ours wasn't through choice I was in hospital for a week and there were no facilities, wife had a 25 min round trip to empty the loo & ended up getting bottled water from the supermarket.
Batteries just made it 3 x 78ah Gels and 300 watts solar but there wasn't much sun.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back