Solar Power V Honda Generator (1 Viewer)

A

ab1451

Deleted User
:winky:
Can any one give me some idea of the pro's and con's of solar power over a small honda generator, noise levels etc. I was planning to have 1 x 80w solar panel fitted and buy a generator for wild camping, or I may just go for 2 x 80 solar pannels running into 2 x leisure batteries. Our motorhome is an Autotrail Apache se700 which we pick up on Monday 30th.

Any advise on this matter would be greatly appreciated by this newbie.

Alan and Jean(ab1451)

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Plan A works for me, best of both worlds, but would still go for two batterys:thumb: Honda unit is a s quiet as they come
Geo

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
2x 120 amp/hr batteries if you intend to wild
generator, produces noise, fumes and costs to run
Solar panel, no noise no fumes, dependant on sun or in some cases just light,
Which or which combination you choose depends on how you holiday, do you camp or tour, do you move every day or other day in which case the engine will charge the batteries, kept topped up by solar panel or stay put in which case you need to replace all power used. In which case large solar panels or generator. I only have 45w of solar power and find it enough, but then I keep in the move so really up to you and what power you actually use, until you have calculated that everything else is pure speculation.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
I have 6 KW genny on board but use a 2 KW Kipor. Would love a a medium size solar panel.

OP
OP
A

ab1451

Deleted User
Solar Panel v Honda Genrator

Hi Geo thank you for the feedback. Is one 80w solar panel going be enogh to look after two batteries? The batteries bitted are 85amp.

Alan and Jean (ab1451) ::bigsmile:

pudseykeith

Free Member
Nov 5, 2007
Leeds West Riding of York
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
6 Years
Hi Alan & Jean
We have solar panels and an inverter, 240 volt. We like solar panels. They --
1/ Running cost, nil
2/ Maintenance, Zero.
3/ Runs and charges all day long during daylight hours.
4/ Do's not annoy neibours. Totally silent.
5/ Will keep the battery's fully charged when the vehicle is not in use during the winter.
6/ Will enhance the life of the battery's.

For us, first choice is Solar. Having said that, a generator do's have a place in any motor home.
We hope this is of help.
Pudseykeith and Rosalie.

PS. Welcome to the Fun Fun Fun :thumb:

Last edited:
S

stagman

Deleted User
:winky:
Can any one give me some idea of the pro's and con's of solar power over a small honda generator, noise levels etc. I was planning to have 1 x 80w solar panel fitted and buy a generator for wild camping, or I may just go for 2 x 80 solar pannels running into 2 x leisure batteries. Our motorhome is an Autotrail Apache se700 which we pick up on Monday 30th.

Any advise on this matter would be greatly appreciated by this newbie.

Alan and Jean(ab1451)

I have 3x 110a batteries and one solar panel 70w. 2 weeks down in France with 3 to 4 night stays on sites never needed hook up.Personally wouldn't bother with gennie for a load of different reasons.Noisy,smelly ,heavy and carrying other fuels and if its petrol fire hazard.I have a gennie never use it since I had solar panel.:Smile:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Hi Geo thank you for the feedback. Is one 80w solar panel going be enogh to look after two batteries? The batteries bitted are 85amp.

Alan and Jean (ab1451) ::bigsmile:
As stated two solars would be great BUT if your mixing your camping with moving about, hookup and the odd wild camp 1 panel will surfice with the two batterys if your depending on 12 volt for more than 4/5 days then two solars are going to be better, as always I like to have the option of a genny, you just never know and if winter camping wild then its a must every now and then, at least you have the option, If budget is not a prob 2 x batteries 2x solar 1 x small honder or Kipor, a budget genny with a good performance, buy a kipor instead of Honda and the second solar will be in effect free:thumb: and if genny use is to be minimal, quality of genny is not so important, (I have a Kipor )
Here come the anti genny brigade and Honda supporters:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Geo

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I have two 120's on my roof. feeding 4 x 85ah batteries. the panels, generally speaking, keep things topped up nicely, and I can leave the MH for as long as i like and the batteries will be tip top.

But in use, when not hooked up, which is most of the time, I use the genny a fair bit, 5 of us and the batteries take a bit of a beating, but my 2kw HONDA, on for a couple of hours a day means that we can be hook up free for as long as we like. As long as we can get juice for the genny, which seems to run all day on all but a sniff of petrol .

If you live somewhere with plenty of sun then go the all panel route, if you live in Wales like me a genny will come in handy for those 50 weeks that you wait for summer to arrive, and then find that its a wet and cloudy one::bigsmile:

S

stagman

Deleted User
I have two 120's on my roof. feeding 4 x 85ah batteries. the panels, generally speaking, keep things topped up nicely, and I can leave the MH for as long as i like and the batteries will be tip top.

But in use, when not hooked up, which is most of the time, I use the genny a fair bit, 5 of us and the batteries take a bit of a beating, but my 2kw HONDA, on for a couple of hours a day means that we can be hook up free for as long as we like. As long as we can get juice for the genny, which seems to run all day on all but a sniff of petrol .

If you live somewhere with plenty of sun then go the all panel route, if you live in Wales like me a genny will come in handy for those 50 weeks that you wait for summer to arrive, and then find that its a wet and cloudy one::bigsmile:

I live in Wales and no problem with solar panels,they don,t have to have a full blast of sunshine to work,even today on a cloudy day still getting 14volts.

johnsandywhite

Free Member
Jul 29, 2007
Doncaster/Spain
Funster No
MH
'A' Class RV &
Exp
:Cool: Solar power VERY quiet. Generators CAN be noisy.
Solar power doesn't use any fuel when installed. Generators do.
The more Solar power you have? The more batteries you need to store the energy. It pays to have extra batteries anyway.

We have (on the Newmar - nothing on the Kontiki - YET) 2 x 125 Watt Panels running via a Solar Boost 2000E controller that takes the extra voltage produced by the panels and converts it to extra amps for charging. It also has an Equaliser setting. Charging 6 x 100ah AGM and 2 x 105 ah LA batteries. :winky:

P

pharvey1

Deleted User
Solar Power

:Smile:Great you have answered many of my questions regarding solar and I did not even start the thread.

Have Kipor which is great, but when in storage our van nees to be kept topped up so looks like we will fit two solar panels in the next few weeks.

Would be interested to know if anyone would suggest a specific type of panel, are some more effective than others ?

Pete

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
My veiw only,
No use for s/p's as they are v/expensive way to gen power :ROFLMAO: (tin hat ready)
Fit an extra battery,see how you go on ? :thumb: you may find you do not need s/p or genny :ROFLMAO:
buy the kipor :thumb: and a s/p and have the best of both for the price of the honda :ROFLMAO:
Don't go jumping in with expensive toys :)Eeek:must have but do not need / bragging rights)
terry

OP
OP
A

ab1451

Deleted User
Solar Powerv v Honda Generator

::bigsmile:
Thank you all very much for so much feedback. I now have an idea of what I may need. I will wild camp on occassions as I think this is the essence of motorhoming over caravaning. We are going on our maiden run out next Saturday 5 July and sadly it will be on a site, just to get used to all the bits and bobs and to see how she runs on a 200 mile round trip.

Thanks once again for all the info which has been extremely helpfull.

Alan and Jean (ab1451) Newbies

S

stagman

Deleted User
Thank you all very much for so much feedback. I now have an idea of what I may need. I will wild camp on occassions as I think this is the essence of motorhoming over caravaning. We are going on our maiden run out next Saturday 5 July and sadly it will be on a site, just to get used to all the bits and bobs and to see how she runs on a 200 mile round trip.

Have a nice time on yor maiden voyage.Just to make you aware of another factor,if you are only staying on site for a night or 2 and then travelling 50 to 100 miles between you may find you do not need any other add on's to charge your batteries,you'r van charging system may well be sufficient,unless you watch a lot of telly or read into the early hours.:thumb:

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003

Now you know Alan & Jean, there is no set answer to your question. It varies because of how we all use our motorhomes in different ways. :Doh:

You will enventually arrive at a solution that suits you, & it may not match any of the above, but now you have a selaction of options that will show you the start.

Enjoy you trips away if like many of us, you will love it. :thumb:

Digger Driver

Free Member
Oct 4, 2007
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I have a genny and two solar panels!
The solar panels work everyday!
I havn't started the genny for over a year!

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi DD its always a good idea to run a genny every now and then, otherwise sods law says when you want it, it won't start.

Olley

Last edited:

Digger Driver

Free Member
Oct 4, 2007
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Hi DD its always a good idea to run a genny every now and then, otherwise sods law says when you want it, it won't start.

Olley
Luckilly at the moment i'm on a job where we have 3 genny's!
I think the smallest is 9kva!
I'm hooked up on the one thats 20!
I suppose my last statement is a bit of a white lie when i think about it!
I havn't started mine but use everyone elses!:ROFLMAO:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Luckilly at the moment i'm on a job where we have 3 genny's!
I think the smallest is 9kva!
I'm hooked up on the one thats 20!
I suppose my last statement is a bit of a white lie when i think about it!
I havn't started mine but use everyone elses!:ROFLMAO:

That explains your Avatar maybe, a porky sausage:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back