Solar power - panel selection (1 Viewer)

Jan 27, 2019
Teesside
Funster No
MH
VAN CONVERSION
Exp
Since 2016
Hello to all,
I am trying to evaluate what panel I should buy to support 2-3 days away on a non EHU campsite. The load would be 65ltr Dometic / Waeco Compressor fridge, LED lights , 4G router / antenna and phone and IPAD charging. I can manage with this being my minimum. It would be through the late spring to mid autumn only.
The setup would be MPPT controller to single solar panel laid flat on the roof of the PVC based MH. Single 100 amp AGM leisure battery.

I have noted posts on this forum mentioning Panasonic / LG panels for which the smallest seems to be around 250W and at a weight that would work on my payload plan, are there any issues with 'going large' i.e. having more solar capacity than was needed. There seems to be several choices in the 150-200w range from MH / camper suppliers which are lighter being smaller but possibly not higher end makes. Are there any comments on makes that have proven to work well. I will be going for a rigid panel, not the flexi type.
Thanks for your time

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Depends what you call mid spring to mid autum, past September which is only the start of autum with only one battery you will probably need at the very least 400 Watts.
You best bet is to ditch the AGM battery they are rubbish for leisure use anyway and fit 2 or 3 gel batteries providing your charger can give the correct charge.
Then you could probably get away with 250 - 300 Watts of solar.

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
In Benidorm we took a compressor coolbox with us a couple of times and had plenty of power with 1 x 150w panel and 1 x 100ah battery, the battery was recharged by lunchtime.
Double it up if in this sodden country though... At least 🌧️☔😞

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

ctc

Oct 12, 2015
Crowle
Funster No
MH
Hymer b680
Exp
New
In Benidorm we took a compressor coolbox with us a couple of times and had plenty of power with 1 x 150w panel and 1 x 100ah battery, the battery was recharged by lunchtime.
Double it up if in this sodden country though... At least 🌧️☔😞
I hope you are not suggesting the weather here can be inclement? Don't you remember 1976?

Apr 6, 2019
Eye, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
FourWinds Windsport 6.8L V10
I thought the overall guidance as to fit as much solar as you can fit (& afford) and the same for the batteries. The more solar, the faster the recharge, the more battery AH the more potential stored power you have? Using 100watt panels from EcoWorthy myself. Possibly not the best but the brand has been around many years now.

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
The way you estimate your power needs is calculate the daily necessary and then the daily harvest capability. For what you listed, you will need a min 300w for UK and 75-100w for Spain. The solar production is lower the more north you go. The key is not to work in deficit, over production is the aim.
You can get panasonic 335w or LG as big as 370w in a single panel. Your wallet your choice. Or a decent inexpensive Trina, JA Solar, or Jinco of around 340w for half the price of LG. I highly rate panasonic. Being a HIT technology, you will have the advantage in poor weather over the normal panels. This is when you will need the energy most. When sunny anything works.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I hope you are not suggesting the weather here can be inclement? Don't you remember 1976?
Yep, the year I spent living up north, a normal summer to a southerner, I was so jealous driving back to the warm south every few weeks.

Jan 27, 2018
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Rapido & Bongone
If you go for a "domestic" version don't forget you need to match the voltage to the controller capability. i have a 330W panel and a Votronics mppt controller. My initial choice was greater than the 50v controller, but, within range of domestic grid controller/ inverters.

OP
OP
C
Jan 27, 2019
Teesside
Funster No
MH
VAN CONVERSION
Exp
Since 2016
Thanks to all for the comments, looks like fitting this will happen during this new lockdown period. Cheers

Sep 10, 2012
worcester
Funster No
MH
Sunliving van
Exp
mitzimad do you have examples of crap flexi panel brands from personal experience?
I had 1 on the old van and 3 on the new one and (hopefully not tempting fate) they are within spec and working fine even in this crap weather.
I have got a spare one and dont know whether to sell it on or keep it just in case.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back