Solar Power / Battery when not in use (2 Viewers)

Andi1455

Free Member
Jun 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
C class
Good Morning ! Complete newbies - Upgraded out tent to our Motorhome and we cant wait to get on the road.
I have a question - Our MH is fitted with a solar panel, we understand it charges the leisure battery etc etc My question is; When we are not using the MH or before you set off, the manual says to switch the battery off......with a SP surely you would always keep the battery on? Any advice would be great. Sorry - it maybe a completely stupid question to most.

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
You should never switch the battery supply to a solar controller with solar connected. You will damage the controller.

Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
Not clear why (and how) the manual says to switch off the battery before you set off. The solar panel should charge your leisure battery and may also charge your cab battery. If the SP doesn’t charge the cab battery, then unless you’re on hook up, your cab battery will go flat over a few weeks and this can damage your battery as well as meaning you can’t start the van. You may fit a Battery Master which takes surplus capacity from your leisure battery and trickle feeds the cab battery.
Unless you intend storing the van for a long time without use when you could remove the batteries and keep them charged, I’d say keep the SP charging the battery or batteries.

p.s. And no questions are stupid. Everything possible related to motorhomes has been asked and probably answered on this forum. Enjoy your new way of life! 👍

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 25, 2016
Taynuilt, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer 655 Starline
Exp
Village idiot
It may be referred to the 12 volt control panel. Switch that off. UK vans like that. As has been said do not disconnect the solar controller on and off. Leave it alone.

ManTheVan

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 11, 2020
South Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido C class
Exp
Yottie convert
Just leave the solar connected and turn off the main power control panel in the MH if you want. Some people leave the power on all the time. The solar controller will manage the battery for you as long as it has been set up correctly with the appropriate profile.

Welcome, BTW!

OP
OP
A

Andi1455

Free Member
Jun 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
C class
Thank you all and thank you for your replies. We believe the previous owner, who knows his stuff and the van is well looked after just left the power on all the time, he said to us, just leave it on but I wanted to make sure we were not doing anything incorrect by doing this.

The manual states: Preparing for the road; battery selection is in the off position.

I guess the manual does not take into account solar........

We will get there. :LOL:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Thank you all and thank you for your replies. We believe the previous owner, who knows his stuff and the van is well looked after just left the power on all the time, he said to us, just leave it on but I wanted to make sure we were not doing anything incorrect by doing this.

The manual states: Preparing for the road; battery selection is in the off position.

I guess the manual does not take into account solar........

We will get there. :LOL:
Even if the battery selection is in the off position the solar will still be connected to and charge the battery... Unless it's been wired in a very unusual way

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Everything left on in my van including the control panel, only exception is I switch off the water pump when the van is not in use.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back