Free Member
Nov 1, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 2000
Hi Folks, I am thinking of having solar panels and would appreciate advice.
I don't want to do it myself so if anyone has had panels fitted could you recommend a fitter I am in the Chester area.
Is one large panel, ie 200w better than a couple of smaller?
I shall be driving through Germany later in the year and have heard good reports of their sytstems.

Thanks for any advice.

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Dave Newell is not that far from you in Telford. Highly recommended by many Funsters and he gives a member's discount.
Dave Newell Leisure Vehicle Services

p.s. if your Hymer is from around mid-90's onwards and has a Schaudt Elektroblok charging system you could benefit from fitting their dedicated solar regulator. Dave understands this.

OP
OP
Tombo

Tombo

Free Member
Nov 1, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 2000
Thanks, They not too far away.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 15, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
C Class Laika Ecovip 7R
Exp
Another vote for Dave Newell, does great work, there is a good site 5 mins walk from his workshop and he gives you free tickets to nearby attractions. :xThumb:

Jul 29, 2011
Urmston, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Former owner.
Exp
June 2012
Dave Newell is not that far from you in Telford. Highly recommended by many Funsters and he gives a member's discount.
Dave Newell Leisure Vehicle Services

p.s. if your Hymer is from around mid-90's onwards and has a Schaudt Elektroblok charging system you could benefit from fitting their dedicated solar regulator. Dave understands this.

Dave fitted mine earlier this year, dual charger so it keeps engine batt topped as well.
Used to have trouble with emgine batt letting me down if it stood for a couple of weeks, not any more.
Lots to do and see around that area.

OP
OP
Tombo

Tombo

Free Member
Nov 1, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 2000
Dave fitted mine earlier this year, dual charger so it keeps engine batt topped as well.
Used to have trouble with emgine batt letting me down if it stood for a couple of weeks, not any more.
Lots to do and see around that area.
Thanks for the advice.
I know it is horses for courses can you tell what you had fitted and a rough guide to the price.

Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
I can't recomend a installer but I can recomend solar panels best thing we ever got not a great deal of use at this time of year but still just about keeping batterys topped up even now when van is parked up and not in use
I would get a minimum of 300 watt that should give you over 20 amp on a bright sunny day and a good quality controller
We never use hook up 9 months of year unless it's in with site price

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
If you have room for 300 watts of panels that's great, but it will take a lot of roof! I 'get by' with a 135W panel connected to an LR1218 regulator. That is a double battery reg and connects directly to the Elektroblok so keeps both leisure and starter batteries charged. From around April to end October it provides most of our 12V needs.
Mine was fitted a few years ago before the price of solar panels fell significantly. Also, it is a Kyocera panel and they are never cheap. I think I paid something over £500 for the 'supply and fit' package but have to admit that it was not Dave Newell who did that particular job for me.

OP
OP
Tombo

Tombo

Free Member
Nov 1, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 2000
If you have room for 300 watts of panels that's great, but it will take a lot of roof! I 'get by' with a 135W panel connected to an LR1218 regulator. That is a double battery reg and connects directly to the Elektroblok so keeps both leisure and starter batteries charged. From around April to end October it provides most of our 12V needs.
Mine was fitted a few years ago before the price of solar panels fell significantly. Also, it is a Kyocera panel and they are never cheap. I think I paid something over £500 for the 'supply and fit' package but have to admit that it was not Dave Newell who did that particular job for me.
Thanks, Just as as a matter of interest is it of any benefit to have a second leisure battery or is just keeping the single one topped up sufficient?

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
I have 2 batteries (currently 2 x 110 Ah Elecsol but they will be due for replacement soon - I am planning to fit 2 x 90 Ah Varta). An additional battery is usually recommended first step in extending your 12V capacity, before fitting any ancillary charging equipment. Make sure both batteries are the same age, type/brand and Ah rating, otherwise the older one will limit the ability of the new one to operate effectively.

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
I also have the dedicated regulator. Worth doing properly.
Jeanluc, any reason your new batteries are lower amp?
Also, it shows the input on the hymer display panel.

gibbon

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
Shatterford
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2005
Dave Newell supplied & fitted our 130w panel, Ctek dc to dc charger which also acts as a mppt controller.
Not cheap but there was a lot of cable from one end of the van to the other(leisure battery is at the back) & I didn't want to take any chances.
Been using the van a lot this year, a lot of time off grid & the lights haven't gone out yet. Probably shouldn't have said that:xThumb:

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
Dave fit mine at the Lincoln show in September. 100w and fully fitted for just over £500

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Jeanluc, any reason your new batteries are lower amp?
Elecsol are no longer available and there was a lot of doubt cast on their claimed AH rating anyway. I have decided to go for a known brand and after quite a bit of research, I have decided on Varta. They make a lead-acid 'dual purpose' battery that fits the available space and it's a 90 AH model - probably the same capacity as the present Elecsols anyway in practical use. Because the batteries are in a tray sunk into the floor below the settee, I am limited to around 200mm height (allowing little tolerance). The original Exide gels (80 Ah) that Hymer fitted to many of their motorhomes in the 2000's were 353mm L x 175mm W x 190mm H. The same size as the Varta LFD90. I do not want AGM batteries as the Schaudt EBL99 does not have a suitable charging program (neither do most of the charging units that are fitted to any motorhome) and I want a sealed model, not open cells since the installation is internal (but they will be vented to the outside).
http://www.varta-automotive.com/en-gb/products/leisure/professional-dual-purpose/930-090-080

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back