Free Member
May 20, 2008
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
10 yrs
Are free standing solar panels worth it as we like staying on Aires etc when travelling broad??? if so any recommendations etc::bigsmile:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Yes they work better/more efficiant than the fixed sort as you can face them directly to the sun all day
No particular make, they all work 80 watt min to get any real benefit. 40 watt will keep batteries topped up with carfeull useage
The biggest you can/want to spend on the better
But there no good without somewhere to store all the power there making, what batteries do you have at present
geo

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I agree with Geo,solars do work better when pointed directly to the sun.
The downside is that you have to move them every couple of hours to gain advantage of this, also the security aspect of having a few hundred pounds worth of solar panel sitting on the ground waiting for some scroat to walk off with them.
I know you can chain them to the van but have seen a very heavy chain bolt cropped and an expensive genny take flight in the night as RR will testify.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

blokarter

Free Member
Feb 21, 2011
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
since 2008
No doubt, moving panels aroud to follow the sun is getting the most out of them but it isn't everyones idea of fun if they are on holiday.

I am using a 120w roof mounted panel & two Elecsol 110amh batteries.

We have recently tried to give them a hard time by using TV, lights, dvd player, mp3 base station, FTA box as we would on hook up.

The result was 5 days before we noticed the first thing, a slight difference to the toilet flush power. Out State of charge had dropped to 11.6 volt.

This was in a reasonable sunny period in Ireland.

I hope this might help

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
We have a 50W freestanding panel and 110aH battery.

We were away 12 days using just the panel in April and 17 days using the panel apart from 5 days on EHU during May/June and had no problems at all.

We were charging netbook, e-readers etc from the panel as well as keeping the leisure battery topped up. Between the two trips I fitted a CAK Tanks Battery Charge Manager so the panel kept the starter battery topped up on the second trip as well.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back