Free Member
Apr 24, 2008
NORFOLK
Funster No
MH
Coach Built low
Exp
SINCE 2008
We go to a lot of Country Music Festivals ( without electric hookup) Depending on how much energy we use we find the battery is pretty low at the end of four nights. So thinking of investing in a roof mounted solar panels. Basically whilst at the festival we are only using electric for the pump, lighting as the fridge heating and water heater are dual fuel. However occasionally we would like to catch the news on telly, or the wife wants to watch it when she gets bored with the Bands.

I am told a 75Watt panel would be best but any advice on the subject will be welcome.

MR2

Free Member
Jul 10, 2009
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
5+years
Hi
We have a 130w roof mounted panel, Steca PR1010 controller formerly feeding 2 x 75Ah batteries. In France last year using Aires with no hook-up the batteries lasted about a week without a boost. We have an inverter to power a 240v TV with a Camos dish. Everything else is as you have.

The batteries have been replaced with 2 x 96Ah and this year we charging from the panel will be adequate

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
a second battery to match and the biggest panel you can afford will solve it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
As said, we have a large(ish) van with power hungry kids. We have no problem with ours and many who travel with us get pissed off with me because I rarely need to charge.

My set up that works for us is - 2 batteries 110amp one 85W solar panel. I have a 1500w inverter that is used now and then. We can go a long weekend with out bother.

Power is never normally an issue for us. I do have a Honda Genny but only use it when we are away skiing and or in the winter. Generally, in the summer and longer days no need.

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
No matter which solar panel you choose, you can maximize its output by arranging for it to face the sun, especially in the UK where even in the summer the sun is not very high in the sky.

As a rough guide.

If the panel is kept facing the sun ALL day you will get 100% of what is available.

If the panel is lifted up so that at noon the panel is facing the sun then you will get 2/3 of what is available.

If the panel is flat then you only get 1/3 of what is available.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
With 1 110Ah battery and 2x80w solar panels , last yr in France ,staying on Aires and France Passion,watching TV during daylight hours and then watching DVDs after dark-we never went below 60% charge and were always fully charged by about 0900 next day.
Our Kathrein Sattelite TV system is quite hungry ,so I have added a second 110Ah batt.for this year (actually I bought 2 new Elecsols)

Mike.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back