Solar panels (1 Viewer)

Apr 23, 2015
berkshire
Funster No
MH
autocruise gleneagle
Exp
since 2005
We recently had a solar applied to the roof by Vanbitz. Today we have the motorhome valet man here to give it all a good once over. He was surprised that the solar panel is actually "screwed to the roof". He said this was not usual, creating holes in the roof the moho!?

Anyone any views.... we will be speaking to Eddie re this as well, so not telling tales.... they did a great job for us. Just wondering....

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
As a business Eddie can not afford for anything to come adrift from the roof no matter how many years down the line and no matter what cleaners have been used on the roof, fixing with screws as well as adhesive is a proper belt and braces job and the holes will be well sealed. I fixed ours without screws but then started to worry so I moulded some extra brackets and bonded them over the top of the originals as another "belt and braces" needless to say 4 years down the line everything is still there.

There are lots of things fixed with screws at the factory so it's not that unusual really.

Martin

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
A
Apr 23, 2015
berkshire
Funster No
MH
autocruise gleneagle
Exp
since 2005
This isn't a complaint at all,, simply enquiring after hearing that from the valeted....

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
One has to question how many MH roofs the valet chap has been up on if he thinks screw fixings are 'not usual'.

Yes, there are some perfectly good contact adhesives about, but roof surfaces can delaminate (our old one did) so well-sealed screwholes are not an issue.

My solar panel was factory-fitted and it's screwed down, as is the roof rack, and the sat receiver that was put on later - I'm glad there's screws in all of them.

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
He said this was not usual, creating holes in the roof the moho!?

Anyone any views.... we will be speaking to Eddie re this as well, so not telling tales.... they did a great job for us. Just wondering....
Do you think he meant the additional 8 tiny holes for screws as a posed to the holes that the cable is going through, the skylights are fitted over, the roof vents cover and for the tv aerial etc.:rolleyes:

Reactions: CWH

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
We recently had a solar applied to the roof by Vanbitz. Today we have the motorhome valet man here to give it all a good once over. He was surprised that the solar panel is actually "screwed to the roof". He said this was not usual, creating holes in the roof the moho!?

Now if he'd have said there are no screws holding your panels to the roof, you might have cause for concern, what adhesives and the correct temperatures was the surface prepared properly, will it age and weaken etc etc. There are plenty who don't use screws but In my experience, screws are not only added security they help the adhesives do a better job too.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
It is worth knowing that a hole that only pierces the outer skin of the roof will not allow water in to do damage whether it is sealed or not. Most if not all MH roofs are a sandwich of outer skin, plastic foam, inner skin. The foam used is 'closed cell' which simply means it cannot absorb water - or let any into the roof. It is nonetheless good practice to seal screw holes but failed sealant will not cause problems later.

FJmike

Free Member
Jul 17, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over ten years
B
One has to question how many MH roofs the valet chap has been up on if he thinks screw fixings are 'not usual'.
I have looked at about 300 roofs in the last year so know that it is unusual for the panel mounts to be screwed down, I asked aztecannie who had fitted the roof as this and other reasons thought it a poor instalation and was suprised to learn it had been installed at Cornish farm as have previously been impressed with their workmanship.

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
For the record I glue AND screw panels onto roofs using Sikaflex adhesive and stainless steel screws. As long as appropriate surface prep is carried out and adequate sealant applied to holes it really isn't a problem.

D.

Nov 7, 2015
Newport, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Broadway
Exp
since 2015 previously caravaning 25 years
Our solar panel was a factory fit by Autosleeper using stainless screws, stainless brackets and adequate sealant below the brackets and covering the screws, still looks 100% after 4 years.

KeithChesterfield

Free Member
May 20, 2015
Stand Road Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2010
I have an 80w Solar panel and haven't a clue whether it is screwed or glued to the roof but if it was screwed and I decided to take it off and put a bigger wattage panel up there wouldn't there be a lot of little holes in the roof that would potentially let water in?

I can see where the valet bloke is coming from when he questions drilling holes in a roof - he may not be an expert and I'm not either but any drilling of metal can have repercussions - can't it?

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I have an 80w Solar panel and haven't a clue whether it is screwed or glued to the roof but if it was screwed and I decided to take it off and put a bigger wattage panel up there wouldn't there be a lot of little holes in the roof that would potentially let water in?

I can see where the valet bloke is coming from when he questions drilling holes in a roof - he may not be an expert and I'm not either but any drilling of metal can have repercussions - can't it?
You have to balance that against the possibility of the panel coming loose or the roof skin coming loose as I believe some are what they call "floating roofs" and have a loose/floating top panel. And anybody who removed a panel and left screw holes without sealing them would be a bit of a numpty.

Martin

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
Since 2008 I've fitted 6 solar panels to my van and previous vans, I didn't screw any of them down just prepped the roof with methylated spirits and stuck them down with Sikafex.
John.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back