Solar panels (1 Viewer)

Jul 10, 2014
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
Elddis Encore 255
Exp
3 years
My solar panel charges both leisure and vehicle batteries through a regulator. It sometimes shows both batteries are fully charged. What then happens to the charge from the panel when they are full please?

treetops1

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
yorkshire/ lincolnshire.
Funster No
MH
Sold last van-
Exp
a long time,since 1996
Just goes to waste .You could put a little fan on it if you feel the need.lol

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
My solar panel charges both leisure and vehicle batteries through a regulator. It sometimes shows both batteries are fully charged. What then happens to the charge from the panel when they are full please?
its just the same as any other charging source, i.e. battery charger , alternator etc , your solar regulator will reduce the voltage to a float level depending on your battery type if that can be set and the current flow will be zero or milliamps..
if the batteries are loaded and their voltage starts to drop then the regulator will resume charging..
hope that helps..
andy

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
My solar charge controller had a spare set of switched terminals on it so I wired a fridge vent fan up to them. That way I could use the midday sun to help cool the fridge as well as charge the batteries.

In hindsight I wish my charge controller wasn't restricted to 13.6v and could have offered 14.4v instead but it was cheap and I didn't know much about bulk vs. float charging when I bought it.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back