Solar Panels over Batteries !! & Control Gear (1 Viewer)

AllyMoHo

Free Member
Sep 2, 2019
Funster No
MH
A Class Pilote
Exp
I’m a newbie
Hi all, my Pilote G690 has two solar panels on top but also has another set of mounts for a 3rd panel.
I have 2 leisure batteries but wonder if there is any mileage on having a 3rd panel and dropping to 1 leisure batt to save weight. That said the MoHo has an ELB271 control unit, a solar Laderegler LR1218, and the control unit above the door is LT 69. (I can’t see a “Brand name on the LT69). All a bit foreign to me t the mo.
In all the “ booklets and gumf” that came with the MoHo I can’t see any to do it the above items.
so, a few questions if I may.....
Suggestions for getting hold of user manuals... not coming up with much on tinterwab! Schaudt website is only in German!!
Opinions on more panels over batteries would be interesting and whether the current control gear would cope.
I am also not sure on the panel ratings, the LT 69 only shows Engine. and Leisure battery voltages. I can’t see or haven’t found any displays for the solar panels, nor can I see any literature that sheds any light on panels but don’t fancy loosening one to see if it has a label underneath. Can do but don’t fancy!!
So if you have a few mins to digest and comment I’d be very grateful.
Cheers, “chocks away” for the freedom season!!

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
If you fit more panels you need more batteries you have to have somewhere to store the energy. 3 panels will be fine with 2 batteries but it would be a bit of a waste going down to one battery.
A lot of the manuals on the Schaudlt site can be downloaded in English or if you email them they will send you the English version.
LR1218 is a bit dated you would get around 25% more out of your existing panels by changing to an MPPT regulator like one from the Votronic MPP range., they are compatible with EBL's.

Last edited:
OP
OP
AllyMoHo

AllyMoHo

Free Member
Sep 2, 2019
Funster No
MH
A Class Pilote
Exp
I’m a newbie
Thanks for the feedback Lenny.👍

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 11, 2019
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Converting a Van
Exp
I'm a Total Newbie!
No point having loads of panels capable of generating loads of power and having nowhere to store it.

I have 340 watts of solar, a 30amp B2B and 220 amphours of battery.

If I was to adds anything it would be another battery because my batteries are always full.

At the moment I'm only pulling 0.4 amps from my solar because I have 3 LEDs running and the battery is full and reading 13.9V. No point having more panels.

But I could use the panels to fill more battery. But I don't think I have need of more power. Things might change when I go film time though?

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
See how you get on with your set-up first as you may not need to do anything. No point adding another panel and removing a battery as any extra energy generated can't be stored so just a waste of buying another panel.

The LR1218 is a standard controller, what you need is a MPPT ideally as that will put more energy from the panels into the batteries thus improve your re-charging time, there is an LRM1218 which is an MPPT version if you want a straight swap.

You mention saving weight, do you actually have a weight issue or just assume it's best to reduce it?

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
You can not have to much solar. A 100ah battery in ideal world needs a minimum 280w solar.
A classic mistake most ppl do is have to much battery that can’t be charged at a decent rate. You need 20 charging amps for every 100ah of storage to keep the battery healthy. That 20a x 14,4v absorb= 288w of solar. Round it up to 300w for flat panels. And that’s without any additional loads. Add loads, then the solar needs to grow.

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
the difference in the batt weight vs panel weight would be what 5kg? dep on ah of battery

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
the difference in the batt weight vs panel weight would be what 5kg? dep on ah of battery
A 100ah battery is 27-30 kg, a 340w panel 1x1.6m is 17-18kg depending on the frame. A smaller panel 36cell weighs even less, 7-8kg.

Margaritaman

Free Member
Oct 27, 2013
East Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile C Class
Exp
since 2008
Post edited because link to LT69 manual didn’t work

OP
OP
AllyMoHo

AllyMoHo

Free Member
Sep 2, 2019
Funster No
MH
A Class Pilote
Exp
I’m a newbie
See how you get on with your set-up first as you may not need to do anything. No point adding another panel and removing a battery as any extra energy generated can't be stored so just a waste of buying another panel.

The LR1218 is a standard controller, what you need is a MPPT ideally as that will put more energy from the panels into the batteries thus improve your re-charging time, there is an LRM1218 which is an MPPT version if you want a straight swap.

You mention saving weight, do you actually have a weight issue or just assume it's best to reduce it?
Thanks for the feedback. On the weight saving... our Pilote was up-plated by its previous owner who used to tow a car on an A frame. Some kind of brake assist unit fitted as well. Well I think that was why it was up-plated!! I’m not well enough informed on the replating at present. Having been away last summer of our longest trip 6/7 weeks ..taking the kitchen sink!! I’m trying to decide how little we can start taking with us but still be well equipped.
Working on an “essentials” list plus “luxury items”.. whatever they are! Sifting through the pros and cons of leaving the plating as is or down plating. Operation spring balance and spreadsheet (or pen and paper).

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Thanks for the feedback. On the weight saving... our Pilote was up-plated by its previous owner who used to tow a car on an A frame. Some kind of brake assist unit fitted as well. Well I think that was why it was up-plated!! I’m not well enough informed on the replating at present. Having been away last summer of our longest trip 6/7 weeks ..taking the kitchen sink!! I’m trying to decide how little we can start taking with us but still be well equipped.
Working on an “essentials” list plus “luxury items”.. whatever they are! Sifting through the pros and cons of leaving the plating as is or down plating. Operation spring balance and spreadsheet (or pen and paper).
The biggest financial negative of down-plating is that you will pay another £115 a year in road tax (yes I know it's stupid but not complaining!), I have a packing list and check list which we use, obviously suited to our needs, but I'm happy to send you a copies to adapt for yourself if you want.

Sep 9, 2019
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 632
Exp
Since Sept 2019
Minxy Girl can you share your packing list please? Thanks!

Russ

OP
OP
AllyMoHo

AllyMoHo

Free Member
Sep 2, 2019
Funster No
MH
A Class Pilote
Exp
I’m a newbie
The biggest financial negative of down-plating is that you will pay another £115 a year in road tax (yes I know it's stupid but not complaining!), I have a packing list and check list which we use, obviously suited to our needs, but I'm happy to send you a copies to adapt for yourself if you want.
Yes please, currently stuck at
Wine
Beer
Cheese😂😂

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
Suggestions for getting hold of user manuals... not coming up with much on tinterwab! Schaudt website is only in German!!
It's in German but not too difficult to get at the manuals. Go to support, select the manuals you want, click download, enter your email, they send you the download links

Bitte wahlen = please select
mit = with, ohne = without, Ladefunction = charging function, ie built-in charger.
Anzeigetafel = display panel
Click on Artikel anzeigen, and a list appears. The ones with the union jack are in English. Select all you want, and click download
Then as above, enter your email address and they send you the download links.

The LT69 is a Schaudt panel, to go with the EBL.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back