Solar panels on uneven roof (1 Viewer)

Ian Paul

Free Member
Apr 24, 2018
Funster No
having probems fitting solr panel on my roof cant see a way to overcome uneven roof, done a video to explain..

Sep 8, 2010
Kent the white cliffs end
Funster No
MH
LeVoyageur Lvx 8
Exp
Not long enough
Had similar problem on my old van I made some adjustable angular brackets to move move up and down and then once all four feet sitting on-roof tighten and glue to roof

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
Seeing how flexible the roof is in your video couldn’t you mark the roof where the brackets fit and sikaflex the brackets to the roof and wait until they are glued solidly to the roof then fit solar panel to the brackets.

John.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
If the roof is already ply lined I would sugest marking the postion of the brackets on the roof, then drill a hole in the centre of where the bracket will fit, then squirt expanding foam to fill the gap between the metal roof and the ply lining. This will fill he gap between the ply and the roof and make the roof in those areas much more solid
Then apply loads of Sikaflex to cover the hole and apply the bracket. The panel does not have to be exactly level and the Sikaflex should take up some uneveness.
Personally I woudlnt use any fixing screws. After 24 hours the Sikaflex is strong enough to hold the panels on its own.

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
I know you said flexible panels are more expensive, but it's looking like the replacement Biard flexy panel they sent to replace my first one, which failed within two years is now also failing, again within two years. Persevere with your rigid panel.

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
As @jezport says make metal angle brackets with slotted upright
then drill holes in roof apply sika , then pop rivet base bracket to roof with sealed rivets (like they use on landrovers) sika over top of rivets . Then ensure panel is clear of roof and secure fixings ( use bolts with nylocs) adj sliders to suit .
simples.jpg

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
A ridged panel is the right choice given the high failure rate of flexible ones also a lot of them are down to 50% of their output in 5 years compared to a ridged of 20% in 20 years.
I assume the roof is steel, with the amount of flexing I would make some long aluminum brackets to spread the load and reduce flexing. 2mm angle alloy should do, section size dependant on fixing area, and can either have the ears outwards or under the panel depending on fixing area.

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
I would do pretty much as @Robert Clark has said and make the roof panel stable as when your driving along at speed the solar may catch the wind and start flapping/flexing the roof up and down.....o_O

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back