Free Member
Aug 23, 2013
Eton
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
10'years
Please can some one advise ,if you have a solar panel and two leisure batteries which battery should you connect pannel too the one that's was already fitted with van or the one you had added many thanks theresa

Nov 6, 2013
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B574DL
Exp
Since 2011 (tugger for 20 before that)
As they are probably wired in Parallel I don't think it matters.
Others with more knowledge will be along shortly to confirm :thumb:eek:r not:Doh:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
Useful video may help?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfvLcTxgvzo"]Charging Two 12V Batteries in Parallel | NOCO Genius® - YouTube[/ame]

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Useful video may help?

Not bad apart from the graphics with the squeakie voice person being incorrect at 1min in. In both cases the two batteries remained connected together so the batteries could not be charged separately, not that you would if using a pair.

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
So:
Would a 95ah and a 110ah connected in parallel be seen by a charger / solar etc. as a single 205ah battery, or will it charge to the 95ah level?

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
So:
Would a 95ah and a 110ah connected in parallel be seen by a charger / solar etc. as a single 205ah battery, or will it charge to the 95ah level?

If they are the same construction, like both wet, I think so.

If you were to make a 205Ah battery all you would do is put the same area of lead as those two in a single container.

You won't do damage wiring them together, fused. Charge them up and see what the result it.

So, charge up the 110Ah, load it up and see how long it runs. Charge the 110Ah and 90Ah separately, wire them together, charge again together ( obviously this will be a short burst ) then apply the same load. If you get nearly double you know it's worked.

Charge again together ( long time now ) and repeat the load test to be sure.

Naturally keep you eye on them while testing, just in case.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
If they are the same construction, like both wet, I think so.

If you were to make a 205Ah battery all you would do is put the same area of lead as those two in a single container.

You won't do damage wiring them together, fused. Charge them up and see what the result it.

So, charge up the 110Ah, load it up and see how long it runs. Charge the 110Ah and 90Ah separately, wire them together, charge again together ( obviously this will be a short burst ) then apply the same load. If you get nearly double you know it's worked.

Charge again together ( long time now ) and repeat the load test to be sure.

Naturally keep you eye on them while testing, just in case.

The more simple answer is that they will definitely be seen as the sum of the two Ah capacities. The batteries need to of the same construction because the charger will need to be the correct type (unless it can be switched) for either lead acid or gel. A fuse in the +ve link wire between the batteries is often advised in case one battery fails catastrophically and effectively short-circuits its partner (not a common occurrence :Smile:). If fitted the fuse should be slightly higher rated than the main supply fuse to the MH electrics.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
The more simple answer is that they will definitely be seen as the sum of the two Ah capacities. The batteries need to of the same construction because the charger will need to be the correct type (unless it can be switched) for either lead acid or gel. A fuse in the +ve link wire between the batteries is often advised in case one battery fails catastrophically and effectively short-circuits its partner (not a common occurrence :Smile:). If fitted the fuse should be slightly higher rated than the main supply fuse to the MH electrics.

in addition, if there is the slightest possibily of the link wire being damaged then fit a fuse at BOTH ends of the live/pos wire.
If one fuse is fitted and the link wire becomes earthed the fuse will blow BUT the other battery without a fuse is still shorted to earth....result, a fire or an exploding battery.

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
i have now got 2 batteries both 110ah i have fitted the solar panel to 1 taking the live and the other taking the neutral ?

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
thats ok i dont need it i have all mine fitted now and its working a treat thanks to peter (Peter and Elaine )
for the control box and thankless to techno for the relay info and anyone else who's knowledge i used

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
all lead acid batteries are made up of 2v cells so however many you link up the charger will see that ampage

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back