Free Member
May 23, 2020
Funster No
MH
Hymer 544
Exp
since 2009
1597759094341.png

Hi, we are wanting to put a rigid frame solar panel on our Hymer 544, would anyone know what the square panel with the circular plastic insert would have
been used for as we would have to cover it with the said solar panel. It has 4 raised threaded posts which something has been attached to. Also any recommendations for 100w panel and converter would be helpful,
many thanks, Dave and Gill Crichton, Northumberland.

Feb 17, 2017
Herefordshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
A Bit
did previous owner have a Satellite dish maybe (just guessing in fairness)

Don't forget if you think you will need a 100 Watt panel today, once fixed you will realise a 200 Watt one would have been better

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
View attachment 416751

Hi, we are wanting to put a rigid frame solar panel on our Hymer 544, would anyone know what the square panel with the circular plastic insert would have
been used for as we would have to cover it with the said solar panel. It has 4 raised threaded posts which something has been attached to. Also any recommendations for 100w panel and converter would be helpful,
many thanks, Dave and Gill Crichton, Northumberland.
Looks like a base for a Satellite TV dish

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
As Peter said, there was a sat dish there ... should be ok to cover just make sure the plate is stuck down firm if you fixing the panel to itšŸ‘šŸ½

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2019
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I'd go with Satellite system fixings.

If you've got the space, fit a residential rigid panel as they are generally better at charging/powering a 12v system and you'll get much more for your money. Our 340w panel was Ā£143 (and may I add from a reputable manufacturer). We have got a Victron SmartSolar 75/15 MPPT charge controller which has been excellent so far.

Don't forget the bigger the panel, the better performance on gloomier days and that you'll need full sun to get near the quoted performance of the panel.

Our current 15a Charge controller (however this limits our peak from the panel ~200w but was cheaper):
<Broken link removed>

Our planned 30a Charge controller (capable of ~400w a bit more pricey)
<Broken link removed>

Our Panel:

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I'd go with Satellite system fixings.

If you've got the space, fit a residential rigid panel as they are generally better at charging/powering a 12v system and you'll get much more for your money. Our 340w panel was Ā£143 (and may I add from a reputable manufacturer). We have got a Victron SmartSolar 75/15 MPPT charge controller which has been excellent so far.

Don't forget the bigger the panel, the better performance on gloomier days and that you'll need full sun to get near the quoted performance of the panel.

Our current 15a Charge controller (however this limits our peak from the panel ~200w but was cheaper):
<Broken link removed>

Our planned 30a Charge controller (capable of ~400w a bit more pricey)
<Broken link removed>

Our Panel:
Agree with the above. I have 246w domestic panel (Ā£110) and the same controller.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back