Free Member
Sep 19, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
1 year
Hi all, not long bought a 1989 Hymer B534 It came with a solar panel fitted to the roof (no paperwork or manuals) so the only detail i can give you is its measurements (if that helps) 42 1/2" (1080) long 26" (660) wide 1 1/4" (35) thick. Ive followed the wires and it is connected straight to the lesiure battery. I have just replaced this battery as the one it came with was dry as a bone and Knacked. My question is (1) should it be wired to a regulator then to the battery and (2) could the fact the panel is wired direct to battery have caused the old battery to dry out or is it just that previous owner wasnt hot on maintenance. Have looked through loads of threads but as of yet not found an answer.:Sad:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
sounds like around 120w to 150w panel and it most definately must be run through a controller....thats the reason you have just replaced the bettery.

full ampage/voltage going into the battery even when fully charged.
could be as high as 12amps on a good day.

until you get a controller, disconnect the panel but ensure the loose end is well taped up or it could cause a short and start a fire.

that size panel will need around a 15amp controller.

by the way....welcome to the fun.

Last edited:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
could put a switch in line on power in .i use one of the big red plastic key switches . good if wanting to change batteries as well.if you count the squares ity would give us a better idea for wattage

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
could put a switch in line on power in .i use one of the big red plastic key switches . good if wanting to change batteries as well.if you count the squares ity would give us a better idea for wattage

and then forget to turn it off and its charging for X weeks at home.....another new battery needed.:Doh:
£20 for a cheap controller......£80 for a new battery every few months....i know which id go for .:thumb:

how many watts per panel crystal then alan. ?
plus the need to know which type of crystal used.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
think you will find its about 2 watts per square. dont think the type of crystasl makes any differance just one works in slightly less sun a little more efficent.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
think you will find its about 2 watts per square. dont think the type of crystasl makes any differance just one works in slightly less sun a little more efficent.

cheers alan....i'll have a count tommorow and see how near it is.
roof needs a wash anyway.:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
MIN663

MIN663

Free Member
Sep 19, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
1 year
Thanks

Thank you both for your help:Smile: Can you recommend a good place to pick up a controller any makes better than others.

C.L.S

Trader - Service & Repairs
Jul 22, 2007
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Not long enough
Steca are a good make , I,ve had no problems with them to date ::bigsmile:

Link : Link Removed

Also make sure you fit an inline fuse between the battery and controller

Mark