Jan 29, 2020
Evesham, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer 694SL
Exp
3 years
Hi
I have 2 x low profile panels on the roof of my Hymer. I believe they were retrofitted by previous owner. There is no information on the solar panel detailing there out put? I’m guessing they are about100watt each, but I’m not technical and that is a guess. I will try and get up there and measure the overall size when it stops raining, maybe that will help.
They are wired direct to the schauldt solar controller and not through the dt202 control panel.
I am contemplating fitting a victron Bluetooth solar controller, so that I can see if:

a) the panels are actually working and
b) what output I am getting from the panels.

any help or advice appreciated. As mentioned, I’m not very technical but should be able to follow instructions. I will post pics of panels when I get them.

also how do you measure the out put of the panels? Do you put a meter across the wires from the panel on a bright sunny day.
thanks again.

SandraL

Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer b694sl
Exp
Since 2012 + Caravanner for 20+ years
The schaudt solar controller, lr1218? has 2 signal wires that go to the electroblock fuse box.
These signals are then picked up by the dt panel.
The dt panel can display solar output as well as overall battery charge amps, or discharge.
The dt panel has a engineers menu to allow you to turn the solar panel function on. The hymer code is probably 8251.
Method has been posted before, will try and find a link.

Edit, try this for the secret menu

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
OP
OP
Jugster
Jan 29, 2020
Evesham, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer 694SL
Exp
3 years
Hi
Managed to get these pics before the rain! Any ideas?
Thanks all

Attachments

• 819A88CE-1AFA-42C9-AADD-C0CE30D0373F.jpeg
    819A88CE-1AFA-42C9-AADD-C0CE30D0373F.jpeg
    517.9 KB · Views: 52
  • E5D8E9D1-5FEC-4800-BB1F-F2BBD283EC3B.jpeg
    E5D8E9D1-5FEC-4800-BB1F-F2BBD283EC3B.jpeg
    449.4 KB · Views: 52
  • CBA42FD5-0A60-481B-BE63-C10A50A200A2.jpeg
    CBA42FD5-0A60-481B-BE63-C10A50A200A2.jpeg
    289.9 KB · Views: 52
Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
They are wired direct to the schauldt solar controller
I'm assuming the panels are wired direct to the Schaudt solar controller - that's on the input side. Where does the output of the solar controller go to? Does it go direct to the batteries, or is it wired through the Electroblock (EBL)? If it's the EBL, what model number is the EBL, and is the output wired to the 3-way connector on the EBL?

OP
OP
Jugster
Jan 29, 2020
Evesham, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer 694SL
Exp
3 years
It appears to be to be wired to the electro block. After further investigation today it appears that the solar controller data cables are not fitted between electro lock and solar controller. Hence no info on DT202 control panel. Will source a cable and see what happens.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
If it's wired to the EBL, then the solar amps will show up in the battery amps value. It won't be a separate amps value, but for example if there's very little load on the battery, and EHU is disconnected, the solar amps should show up as a positive value, going into the battery. With two 100W panels you should be getting 10A at least into the batteries, if the batteries need recharging.

If the batteries are full, the solar controller will dial back the power so that the batteries are not overcharged, so you may get a very low amps value with full batteries.

If the solar controller is also wired to the starter battery, the amps to the starter battery won't show up on the panel. However if you look at the starter battery voltage, if it's over 13.0V then it's being charged by something. If the EHU is disconnected, then it must be the solar charging it.

You can get a reasonable approximation to the solar power going to the leisure battery. If the leisure battery is at 13.6V and the battery amps is 10A, multiply them to get the power: 13.6 x 10 = 136 watts. You'll be lucky to get 150W out of two 100W panels, if they are flat on the roof in the UK.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
also how do you measure the out put of the panels? Do you put a meter across the wires from the panel on a bright sunny day.
thanks again.
While looking through the Apuljack Engineering website for an unrelated problem, I chanced upon this little gadget that may be of interest.There's an adapter that attaches to the Schaudt solar controller (either type) and a data cable to a display panel. Specifically made to be easy to install.

OP
OP
Jugster
Jan 29, 2020
Evesham, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer 694SL
Exp
3 years
Hi
Thanks everyone for your assistance. It appears that the panels are working as its sunny today and the batteries are indicating higher than yesterday when it was raining . There is no EHU connected ate the moment. I now need to source a data cable to connect between the LR1218 and the electro bloc so that I can get a readout on the DT202 display. I have established that all other cables are in place. ie the data cable from the DT panel to the electro bloc, its just the signal cable from the EB to the LR1218 thats missing.

Any one any ideas where I might get one of these? I understand its supplied in the kit with the LR1218 but why its missing I know not. Can't understand why the previous owner of the van did not know or want this in? I believe its possible to make up a cable, but would prefer to purchase the correct one with the correct plug attached. Thanks everyone.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
I don't think that knowing what power your solar panels are is not going to help you a lot.
I didn't study the pictures, but the number of cells/squares in each might help to guess.

What is more important is that, on an average day, you harvest the same amount of power as your average demand/use.

Westbarn1

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 25, 2019
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Hymer BMC-T 600
Exp
Hi
Thanks everyone for your assistance. It appears that the panels are working as its sunny today and the batteries are indicating higher than yesterday when it was raining . There is no EHU connected ate the moment. I now need to source a data cable to connect between the LR1218 and the electro bloc so that I can get a readout on the DT202 display. I have established that all other cables are in place. ie the data cable from the DT panel to the electro bloc, its just the signal cable from the EB to the LR1218 thats missing.

Any one any ideas where I might get one of these? I understand its supplied in the kit with the LR1218 but why its missing I know not. Can't understand why the previous owner of the van did not know or want this in? I believe its possible to make up a cable, but would prefer to purchase the correct one with the correct plug attached. Thanks everyone.
I think I have one of those cables at home, from an install on my last MoHo, if you can wait, am in France at the mo and not booked through tunnel until 23rd Oct

OP
OP
Jugster
Jan 29, 2020
Evesham, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer 694SL
Exp
3 years
Hi
That would be fantastic, I can wait as I’m hospital this weekend and van now sorned until February when we too hope to get over to France!😁
What price are you looking for? And is it the signal cable that comes as part of the LR 1218 install kit?
Thanks for your kindness, enjoy France 🇫🇷, you lucky people.
Kind regards
Peter

Westbarn1

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 25, 2019
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Hymer BMC-T 600
Exp
Peter, will check when I get back what I have exactly, if you don’t hear from me by end Oct then please contact me to remind me, if I have what you need you can just cover the postage, the rest gratis👍

OP
OP
Jugster
Jan 29, 2020
Evesham, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer 694SL
Exp
3 years
That’s fantastic, i’ll look forward to hearing from you or I’ll contact you as mentioned. Enjoy your hols
Best wishes
Peter🍺🍷👍

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back