Free Member
May 29, 2014
Worcester
Funster No
MH
A/S Warwick
Exp
since 2013
When I connect my Solar Panel Regulator to my battery do I connect to battery first (positive or negative) or do I connect to. Solar panel first then battery.
Rich

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Battery first is normal to allow controller to check voltage.. make sure battery is charged...
Normal to have the wires connected to the battery and then insert the fuse when you have that done.
Andy

Oct 29, 2012
essex
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9090df
Exp
20 years (unless you count my dads VW which makes it 52 years with a few gaps!!)
I did 1. cover solar panel. 2. connect solar panel. 3. connect battery. 4 uncover solar panel but best wait for someone with more knowledge than me.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 29, 2012
essex
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9090df
Exp
20 years (unless you count my dads VW which makes it 52 years with a few gaps!!)
there you go!

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Battery first.
Thats what i learned after much reading up. Something to do with the regulator obtaining the battery voltage before it starts it's charge..

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Always connect the regulator to the batteries before connecting the panel to the regulator. If you do it the other way round there is a chance the regulator may be damaged. Similarly, if you need to take the batteries out of circuit for any reason in future, disconnect the panel from the regulator first, or cover it to block out the sun.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Similarly, if you need to take the batteries out of circuit for any reason in future, disconnect the panel from the regulator first, or cover it to block out the sun.
That's interesting. . I often pop the fuse out between controler and regulator without isolating the connected panel to check the current... I never gave damage to panels any thought..
As the blurb seems to indicate the controler has plenty protection built in..
Andy

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
That's interesting. . I often pop the fuse out between controler and regulator without isolating the connected panel to check the current... I never gave damage to panels any thought..
As the blurb seems to indicate the controler has plenty protection built in..
Andy
Not sure I follow you Andy. In my mind, controller and regulator are different terms for the same component.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Not sure I follow you Andy. In my mind, controller and regulator are different terms for the same component.
Sorry Philip yea should have said controller or regulator....
Ie i often remove fuse between the solar controler and batteries thus disconnecting the batteries without isolating the panel.. but had no idea I ran the risk of damaging the panel..
Hope that's clearer.
Andy.

daved2524

Free Member
Jan 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
5th wheel and a Nissan
Exp
Since April 2016
Always connect the regulator to the batteries before connecting the panel to the regulator. If you do it the other way round there is a chance the regulator may be damaged. Similarly, if you need to take the batteries out of circuit for any reason in future, disconnect the panel from the regulator first, or cover it to block out the sun.

Very interesting in my set up the fuse is on the lead from the controller to the batteries. Are you saying the fuse needs to be in the lead from the panel to the controller?

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
Very interesting in my set up the fuse is on the lead from the controller to the batteries. Are you saying the fuse needs to be in the lead from the panel to the controller?
I have a fuse at both places , mostly for isolation purposes.

Mar 21, 2017
Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp

It's correct that the battery should be connected first, but when disconnecting apparently it makes no difference. I asked a question regarding removing a controller to battery fuse here:

http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/controller-to-battery-fuse.151196/

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
It's correct that the battery should be connected first, but when disconnecting apparently it makes no difference. I asked a question regarding removing a controller to battery fuse here:

http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/controller-to-battery-fuse.151196/

I note what was said in the thread that you linked to, but I cannot see how it makes electrical sense. If there is a risk to the regulator from having an incoming current from the panel with no battery connected into which to dump the charge, the logic must apply whether connecting or disconnecting.
I refer to the clipping from the installation instructions for my regulator (LR1218) below.

upload_2017-5-3_18-18-25.png

Mar 21, 2017
Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Yep that was my logic regarding disconnecting, and why I questioned the fitting of a fuse on the battery side if disconnecting the battery (blown fuse) first can cause damage.

I have never seen any mention of what damage and why it is caused.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back