solar panel output query

Discussion in 'Solar Power' started by Neil S, Jul 8, 2018.

1. Neil S

Neil S Funster

Ratings:
    +292
    as above # 17 hopefully that will be ok

2. Neil S

Neil S Funster

Ratings:
    +292
    update on my battery / solar issue - have now fitted a new Victron Energy Blue Solar PWM Light 12/24V 30 amp Solar charge Controller and the battery's are now charging as high as 14.0 volts in bright overhead sunlight which seems a bit high , will that boil the battery's and cause them to gas

• Nice One! Nice One! x 1
  3. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

Ratings:
    +24,645
    No, should rise to 14.2 - 14.4 volts when reaching full charge and then hold at that voltage for an hour or so (time depends on settings) at a reduced current and then drop to a 13.8v float charge.

• Like it Like it x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. Neil S

Neil S Funster

Ratings:
    +292
    thanks Lenny just been and checked the the voltage is now indicating 13.7 float charge which would appear to be as you say .
    I also tested the battery's individually as you suggested and they appear to be ok at the moment , however I'll look to replace them in the not to distant future

• Like it Like it x 1
  5. Neil S

Neil S Funster

Ratings:
    +292
    Further to my original query I have fitted a Victron 30 amp charge controller and currently have a 120 watt solar , I want to fit a an additional panel .
    what would be the maximum wattage a 30 amp controller can safely handle

6. funflair

funflair Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +15,354
    Charging 12v it would be 440w according to Victron data.

Martin

7. Neil S

Neil S Funster

Ratings:
    +292
    Thanks , don't think I'll need as much as 440 watts but another 120 watt PV Logik panel married up to the existing 120 should allow me to be of grid a bit more and shorten recharge time

• Like it Like it x 1
  8. Allanm

Allanm Funster

Ratings:
    +7,407
    We have 2x LDF90 batteries, 120 watts of solar and a Victron MPPT controller. We hardly ever use EHU and the batteries stay pretty well topped up all the time. Even after 3-4 hours of tv, lights, water pump and heating when we need it, I’ve never seem the batteries go below 12.6v.
    Of course, if you are stayng in one place for a couple of weeks, you would need more solar, or a generator.........:wink:

• Useful Useful x 1
  9. Neil S

Neil S Funster

Ratings:
    +292
    I'm hoping that by increasing my solar capacity from 120 to 240 watt that should allow me to stay without EHU for up to 2/3 weeks without moving with the very occasional inverter use for a low wattage hair dryer during the summer months

10. funflair

funflair Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +15,354
    Always sunshine willing of course but yes with the right weather and sympathetic use 240w should see you sat in a field indefinitely. We have 320w and can stay in a field as long as we wish, we use the inverter quite a lot for microwave and coffee machine and of course the usual hairdryer

Martin

• Like it Like it x 1
  11. Sheddy

Sheddy Funster

Ratings:
    +15,639
    We have a system set up for long term off grid. 300w with 260Ah running a Psw 1500w inverter and 175w with 240Ah for the 12v side. Last winter we were on our pitch in Spain for 6 months hooked up, but used only a tiny amount of power (they charge for it on a meter) and that was probably my over caution regarding battery protection. This year we will see if we can use no hookup.
    Cheers
    Ed

• Like it Like it x 2