Solar Panel Options on Adria Twin (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
P

Phil89a

Free Member
Apr 22, 2021
Middlewich, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 600 SPB
Exp
You'll definitely need a second battery with a compressor fridge, however I'm surprised at Ash's comment regarding running the engine to top them up as this is usually frowned upon.

I think once you 'taste' being off grid you'll want to do it more and/or for longer periods so solar will become a necessity but not at present and can easily be added later.

As for the second battery, your dealer may be able to do this for you but if so make sure they are matching it with the existing one (don't just specify that they match each other). We had two dealers who removed the original and replaced it with others despite us stating we just wanted to add another matching the original, the first time we spotted it when we went to collect and they had to remove them and put in ones of the same quality as the original, the second dealer put in 2 new quality ones but unfortunately the charger wasn't set-up to work with them so they had to pay for 2 new ones and for them to be fitted locally.

Nearly forgot, engine size, 140 will be more than sufficient I'm sure.
Do you know why it is "frowned upon"? Would have thought it is no different than popping down the shops in the van.

Ash did recommend getting the second battery as factory fit to be sure they are matched and to ensure the charging system is correct. So I will go that way to be safe.

I am still thinking of adding a Solar Panel and going "factory fit" (as it just feels right to have one :giggle: ) and I am sure it helps resale when moving on. So for now the 120w is still on the list (just need to confirm the weight).

Thanks

Phil

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Do you know why it is "frowned upon"? Would have thought it is no different than popping down the shops in the van.
Part of the issue is that it doesn't get the fluids running round as they would if you drive it so you risk the engine not being lubricated fully which could cause damage, there are quite a few thread on the forum about it and others may be able to offer more info.

Edit one thread here: https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/idling-tickover-on-driveway-during-winter.230458/

Ash did recommend getting the second battery as factory fit to be sure they are matched and to ensure the charging system is correct. So I will go that way to be safe.
How much are they charging for that option and what would the battery be (size/type)?

I am still thinking of adding a Solar Panel and going "factory fit" (as it just feels right to have one :giggle: ) and I am sure it helps resale when moving on. So for now the 120w is still on the list (just need to confirm the weight).
Again, what's the cost, there's usually quite a premium for doing it this way. As for resale, it won't add any financial benefit to you I'm afraid as most dealers don't take notice of this sort of extra when giving PX prices.

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Without solar the batteries will cycle deeper and come to the end of their life a bit sooner.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Extra battery is £250 and all they say is 100ah AGM

Solar Panel is 120w at £490
Battery shouldn't cost as much as that and neither should the solar panel, have a shuftie on Tayna for batteries and Ebay etc for solar panels plus an MPPT regulator (the Sun one is good), this will give you an idea of their mark-up for fitting them.

Lemut

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 18, 2020
Redditch, UK
Funster No
MH
Class C
Hi All,
Recommendation? Try tomsvanbuildconsultancy.co.uk
you get up to one hour 1-to-1 consultation where he will discuss all essential and optional items you wish to include in your van/boat/home. (Fans, lights, USB’s, Fridges, etc…). When I asked him for help, for what I consider a very reasonable fee he made sure I had all the information I needed for my build including a full 'circuit diagram', parts list (down to heat shrink!) full tech specs (outputs, fuses, cable sizes etc) screenshots, links and even anticipated what teething issues I might come across and what aftercare info I needed. First rate service and thoroughly recommend.

Clive Mott

Funster
Nov 12, 2012
New Milton
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since 1972
If you have a compressor fridge then you need as much solar wattage as you have space to fit. Ask the dealer the questions. Ask if the wiring is pre installed as most are. Insist on a Mppt regulator. Semi flexible panels are as good in UK as rigid glass panels. Do not get panels fitted at a show as these are invariably done the quick way and just wired to your leisure battery. Whatever you chose make sure it uses factory fit wiring. Also as you are spending big then go for two LiFeP04 batteries for leisure duty. These will nearly double your effective capacity and give you more payload.

Jun 16, 2015
west yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Full time
You could go for a free standing solar panel , if you are off grid for a couple of days just clip it on and point it at the sun job done

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
£490 for a dealer fit 120w solar panel assuming it’s not really only 3kg is a reasonable price. Just look at the extras lists for most PVCs and it’s around £500 for 100w .

We’re like you, useless at DIY. Managed to negotiate a 120w one instead of a 100w one on our latest IH although I’ve never climbed up to check, wouldn’t know how! I know IH are expensive motorhomes but we compared extras to other PVC prices and we were leaving for Spain a week after collection so no time for Vanbitz!

Dave_E

Free Member
Sep 21, 2019
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
I'm a newbie
We took our Twin to Vanbitz as well as alarm and non starter we had a victron battery monitor fitted so with that and the non starter I can monitor the state of hab.and vehicle batteries.You have a b2b charger so if things get low go for a 30 min.drive I think that is preferable to just running the engine.The quote for the solar panel seems reasonable.I personally would want a panel

SD j

Free Member
May 9, 2020
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin supreme
Exp
Since 2000
Extra battery is £250 and all they say is 100ah AGM

Solar Panel is 120w at £490

A9F28AB1-CA5A-4FD8-B5C6-8FE470EBA8A1.jpeg

Sep 19, 2013
Cabbunk Central
Funster No
MH
Carado T459
Exp
Not long enough!
Adria Twin 640SLB 20/21. Added 120w solar with the clever, plug and play Schaudt LR1218 regulator as it intelligently charges vehicle as well. Added second wet battery under seat next to original as ours has compressor fridge. Now 200Ah batteries. Simple if you are confident. Get someone to do it if you are not.
Cost 120 panel plus kit, 70 regulator, 90 battery = £280. Great value and it seems to handle the compressor fridge really well for days on end without hookup. Volts on meter fall to 12.7 v after a night but quickly recover to 13.5 (max reading on meter above door).

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Adria Twin 640SLB 20/21. Added 120w solar with the clever, plug and play Schaudt LR1218 regulator as it intelligently charges vehicle as well. Added second wet battery under seat next to original as ours has compressor fridge. Now 200Ah batteries. Simple if you are confident. Get someone to do it if you are not.
Cost 120 panel plus kit, 70 regulator, 90 battery = £280. Great value and it seems to handle the compressor fridge really well for days on end without hookup. Volts on meter fall to 12.7 v after a night but quickly recover to 13.5 (max reading on meter above door).
As you say easy with the Schaudt regulator although the LRM1218 (MPPT) version is a better option although obviously more expensive.

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Adria Twin 640SLB 20/21. Added 120w solar with the clever, plug and play Schaudt LR1218 regulator as it intelligently charges vehicle as well. Added second wet battery......

An LR1218 is not really designed for wet batteries as I found out when it fried my 2 x 100Ah wets within only a few months of buying our previous van.

The LRM1218 is much more appropriate but avoid the LR1218 if you can.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
An LR1218 is not really designed for wet batteries as I found out when it fried my 2 x 100Ah wets within only a few months of buying our previous van.

The LRM1218 is much more appropriate but avoid the LR1218 if you can.
Interesting, we had an LR1218 previous and never had any issues whatsoever with the batteries during the time we owned the vehicle for about 3 years.

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Interesting, we had an LR1218 previous and never had any issues whatsoever with the batteries during the time we owned the vehicle for about 3 years.

I would avoid it Mel in respect of using it with typical wet batteries. The dealers only fit them because they are a.) Much cheaper than the LRM1218 MPPT and, b.) They don't have a clue about electrical stuff.

P Jones

Free Member
Apr 15, 2017
Retford
Funster No
MH
ci carioca 694
Exp
What I have been told is the van is prewired for Solar and the factory fit option is 120 w (with a 3kg weight) - Cost £490. Dealer fit is heavier at 9 kg, but I don't know the wattage (and it costs more than factory fit).

Oh, BERNI109 - no I am not up to any DIY :LOL:
had my solo panel fitted by falcon near dutton by frodsham and a good job to, so its up to you, chin chin old boy, stay safe. ok.pj.

OP
OP
P

Phil89a

Free Member
Apr 22, 2021
Middlewich, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 600 SPB
Exp
£490 for a dealer fit 120w solar panel assuming it’s not really only 3kg is a reasonable price. Just look at the extras lists for most PVCs and it’s around £500 for 100w .

I asked Adria what they would be fitting to a Twin Supreme 600 and the weight and they tell me...

“NDS Solenergy PSM 120WP Monocrystalline

The optional 120W solar panel for the Twin Supreme 600 SPB weighs 11.5kg.

I believe that the Electrobloc of this model is a Schaudt EBL 211 and the control panel is a Schaudt LT 52 but I sadly we don’t have PDF copies of the instruction manuals”

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Cost of panel, MPPT controller, glue/kit etc €258 in Belgium.

<Broken link removed>

Motorhomer14

Free Member
May 6, 2021
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria twin supreme
Exp
I have a 2021 model 640 SGX which came with dealer solar 120 watts and controller. As other have said this is a NDS panel and controller. The controller can take a max 150 watts per channel and it has two channels so 300 watts. This will charge leisure and starter battery through the EBL-211. NDS panels are well made but are heavier than some other manufacturers.

Also as others have stated the compressor fridge can pull between 3/4 amps when running, over 24 hours this can run for about 8 hours so you will use approx. 24 Ah of battery, you can see with out good solar you can easily run down the dealers installed 110 Ah AGM battery, we lasted two days with the solar before we was starting to see battery issues.

I have upgraded the system with 300 watts Renogy solar and a Victron controller. We also now have Victron B2B and lithium on the way, will be ok to wild camp for as long as we want with this setup.

Vlog of the solar fitment

Jun 20, 2023
Funster No
MH
planning one…
A second battery is a must with a compressor fridge if you dont want to be stuck on EHU all the time.
It is a compressor fridge so a b2b charger is a option worth considering.Various companies fit including Vanbitz if you decide it's for you.It comes from Adria as a cost option but if your having the auto gear box it comes already fitted
Just checking the b2b charger comment here. About to own 2019 TWIN 640 SL, with the 6 speed auto box. Contemplating Li battery upgrade. Am I correct in assuming that this van would have B2B controller suitable for Li charging rate?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back