Solar panel installation rewire (1 Viewer)

Dec 16, 2017
Funster No
I plan to tidy up the dealer installed wiring on my solar panel installation:rolleyes: and at the same time replace the charge controller.
My question is. "Is it ok to have the solar panels disconnected from the charge controller while I carry out the work, with the panel exposed to sunlight without causing any damage"?
any advice on the correct procedure for disconnection and reconnection greatly appreciated.
Is it also good practice to install a fuse/switch between the panel and the controller?

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
No, cover the panel with carpet or cardboard so there will be no output whilst you are working.

I have never installed a fuse or switch between panel and controller.
Hope that helps.

John

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
Is it also good practice to install a fuse/switch between the panel and the controller?
Some controllers are fussy about the sequence of connecting up. They need the battery connected first, then the panels, because they automatically recognise a 12V or 24V setup. So whenever you disconnect the batteries you need to disconnect the panels.

A switch is all that is needed, but some people are happier with a fuse that can be pulled out easily. In fact a fuse is often cheaper and easier to wire than a switch. There's no way a solar panel can blow a fuse that can take the normal output of a panel, so a fuse isn't actually needed.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
For the life of me I can't see the reasoning behind covering the panel other than to prevent accidental short circuit of the panels Pos and Neg wires.
If nothing is consuming power then no power is produced.....it just has the potential to be produced.
If an electrician is working on a building he will turn off the supply before disconnecting wiring, he won't get the electric company to turn off their Generator.

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
you will have voltage on the panel wires if its in sunlight do one at a time and tape them to be safe its alway battery first way to remember is BB Battery Before Ive never fused between battery and panel but it will make disconnecting easier in future

Aug 5, 2018
Funster No
MH
a
Other than taping up the cable ends to ensure they don't touch anything they shouldn't, then it's not worth a second thought.
Covering the solar panels, while strictly safer, is no where near necessary unless you have a large bank of them creating quite a lot of juice.
and no you won't damage anything by "short circuiting" them either. (twisting the wires together)
Disconnecting the charge controller while the solar is still connected to it however "MAY" be a bad move, so do make sure you disconnect solar from the controller before you disconnect the controller from the battery..

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
For the life of me I can't see the reasoning behind covering the panel other than to prevent accidental short circuit of the panels Pos and Neg wires.
If nothing is consuming power then no power is produced.....it just has the potential to be produced.
If an electrician is working on a building he will turn off the supply before disconnecting wiring, he won't get the electric company to turn off their Generator.
By covering the panel you turn off the power the same way as if you had used a switch. The alternative is a possible short circuit of the panel.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Really? You learn something new every day.
It isn't like a lead acid battery which has a very low internal resistance. One tested spec of a panel is the short-circuit current. Leaving a panel short-circuit when it's producing a good output would eventually cause it to warm up but you'd be bored waiting for it to get hot enough to hurt itself. :)

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Be very, very cautious, when mucking around with solar panels & 12 volt lead acid batteries, the correct sequence of disconnection is as detailed below.
Les

Paul an Jane MK

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 20, 2016
Milton Keynes
Funster No
MH
Elddis Encore 255
Exp
enjoyed the freedom over the last couple of years but still Wish we could have got away more often
The supplier advised me to connect loads e.g leisure and engine battery before solar panel and as a solar panel generates a good amount of current to ensure it was covered so no electricity being generated when I connected to panel.

Having spent more than enough time up a ladder and on the roof fitting the panel I did all the wiring and installation and then left the final connection of the the two solar wires in to the control panel until nighttime.

I popped out about 10pm and within a few mins job done.

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
Solar panels on a house roof are often connected in series, and it's normal to have half a dozen or more 36V panels in series in what is called a 'string'. The voltage on this string is at least 6 x 36V, which is potentially lethal, especially to someone on a roof or a ladder.

Motorhome panels are usually in parallel, so voltages are 36V or lower. These voltages are not dangerous. As others have said, the short-circuit power is also not a problem.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
You should disconnect the the solar panels from the controller before you do anything else, that is what some of the controller manufacturers recommend, this is to prevent the current from the panel going into the controller with nowhere to go which could damage it.

This is one reason of the reasons I fitted fuses in the cables between each of the solar panels (connected in parallel) and the controller in my previous camper, it made a quick and easy way to stop the charge if I needed to and also gave me a way to check the output of each panel using a multi-meter in the fuse holder slots.

Mar 30, 2019
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Trigano Tribute
Exp
Since 2017
Volts thrill amps kill.
The reason it’s recommended to cover the panels before dis/connecting is you can get a spark that could ignite any flammable gases that could be present.
If it’s easier wait till dark and tape or put a chock block on the wires from the panel to avoid problems.
I didn’t bother with fuses or switches between the panel and the controller.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back