Free Member
Oct 27, 2013
Stoke on Trent
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I am a newbie
Wiring up second battery to solar panel (or maybe not required to be done) I don't know..

Help would be much appreciated.

I have not got a readable wiring diagram for my 2007 Lunar Premium H622. Base vehicle is a Renault Master. Is there a website that has wiring diagrams displayed for reference?

I have installed a 100watt solar panel, wiring and controller. This is currently connected directly to the leisure battery and works well. I wish to also charge the vehicle battery from the solar panel, especially during the standing time over winter. Is the vehicle battery able to receive charge from the solar panel without any further modifications? Is it receiving a charge now, I assume the vehicle battery is connected to the same circuitry as the leisure battery so presumably it receives a charge from the solar panel at the same time.

The Controller is a Photonic Universe. Within the Instruction manual it says;

"This dual battery solar charge controller is designed to charge and protect two independent 12v or 24v batteries or battery banks (e.g. engine and leisure battery) using energy from solar panel(s). Both batteries should have the the same voltage, but can have different capacity.
Note: Independent charging assumes that batteries should be electrically isolated from each other. i.e. they should not be connected to the same system. Several batteries connected in the same battery bank should be treated as 1 battery when" using this controller.

Taking in to account the quoted section above are my leisure battery and vehicle battery treated as one battery.

I hope someone can clarify this for me.

Regards
JohnT

BwB

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 3, 2011
Suffolk UK
Funster No
MH
Resting b'twix vans
Exp
Since 1990
Treat at two separate batteries. Many of the dual battery solar controllers won't charge the second battery until the first is full. Hook the starter battery up to the second battery connection and the solar will attempt to keep it charged.

OP
OP
electrajohnt

electrajohnt

Free Member
Oct 27, 2013
Stoke on Trent
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I am a newbie
Treat at two separate batteries. Many of the dual battery solar controllers won't charge the second battery until the first is full. Hook the starter battery up to the second battery connection and the solar will attempt to keep it charged.

Thank's for coming to my assistance. The leisure battery is fully charged, the light on the controller is flashing, which apparently means fully charged, so does this mean the vehicle battery is fully charged also.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
If the engine battery is physically connected to the leisure battery then yes, it is charged.

If no extra wiring between the two then no, it isnt charging off solar.

Easiest and cheapest way to connect is a wire between pos on engine battery and pos on leisure battery,
and the same on the neg terminals if it isnt a common 'chassis' earth, with a 10amp fuse in circuit.
You will need to remove the fuse before attempting to start the engine or the fuse will blow.

BwB

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 3, 2011
Suffolk UK
Funster No
MH
Resting b'twix vans
Exp
Since 1990
If the starter battery is connected to the second battery output of the solar controller it will probably receive just a trickle charge. The led light is unlikely to indicate the status of battery 2.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back