Free Member
Nov 17, 2009
Braintree. Essex
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
3 years
I've been getting MH ready for first outing of the year had it on hookup filled up water etc and I noticed that the water level gauge was not working at the same time I noticed that the voltage to the 2 100ah leisure batteries was reading about 15v.

I disconnected the mains lead and the voltage remained at 15v with the 80w solar panel and 30amp controller is this correct or am I cooking the batteries.

If it is not correct can anyone offer advice/ solution the panel and controller was added last year. In the interim I have disconnected the batteries from the controller until I know more.

Thanks

Terry :helpsos:

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
Have got an independent way of check the voltage, just in case whatever you are using to read the voltage is incorrect and yes if the voltage is true you are cooking them, at the very least you should check the battery levels if you have that kind of battery.

Doug...

OP
OP
tan

tan

Free Member
Nov 17, 2009
Braintree. Essex
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
3 years
I have checked at bettery with separate meter 14.6volts. and at output from controller 20v.

terry

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
I have checked at bettery with separate meter 14.6volts. and at output from controller 20v.

terry

Then I would suggest that your controller is faulty, can you disconnect the solar supply to the controller to stop the charging?

Doug...

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I'm no expert but I don't the meter on our Autoquest is the most accurate ever made. I've seen it as high as 14 with the stand alone 50W solar panel attached at times.

In case it helps I just had a look in our van and the battery reading (charged a couple of days ago) was 12.5. When I switched on the EHU it showed 13.5 and after I switched off the EHU it showed 12.8.

As far as the water level reading goes I am more of an expert. Without fear of contradiction I can say that inaccurate water level reading is a feature of Explorer vans and not something to be concerned about :Smile:

chuck

Free Member
Mar 16, 2011
south
Funster No
MH
truck conversion
Exp
20 years
I've been getting MH ready for first outing of the year had it on hookup filled up water etc and I noticed that the water level gauge was not working at the same time I noticed that the voltage to the 2 100ah leisure batteries was reading about 15v.

I disconnected the mains lead and the voltage remained at 15v with the 80w solar panel and 30amp controller is this correct or am I cooking the batteries.

If it is not correct can anyone offer advice/ solution the panel and controller was added last year. In the interim I have disconnected the batteries from the controller until I know more.

Thanks

Terry :helpsos:
Hi the solor panel should be charging around 14 15 volts the voltage reading will be lower when the solar power is disconected . and be the true voltage of the battarys any thing up to 13 and a bit volts will be ok ' a heathy battary is 12.6 volts so if your battarys are reading 15 volts with the solar panel disconected that is to high, inbetween the solar panel and the battarys there will be a voltage regulater and a blockin diode just follow the wireing there usualey in the same box on this box there is a screw so you can adjust the amount of voltage going into the batterys .the blockin diode stops the batterys discharging back through the solar panel when its dark. stick a voltage meter on the battarys when adjusting it on a nice sunny day if this dont work the regulater may be faulty.my solar pannel knocks out around 21 volts on a hot sunny day the reg knocks this down to 14 15 volts 14.5 volts while charging is ideal if you want to be spot on .:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I'd be inclined to agree with Doug....

your panel should show around 17v, maybe more in strong sunlight....between panel and controller

regulated to around 14v between controller and battery.

certainly sounds as though your controller isnt regulating voltage and will cook the battery.

looks like a new controller is needed.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back