Free Member
Nov 17, 2009
Braintree. Essex
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
3 years
I've finally bought my panel etc and now need to fix it so one last (Ihope) question on this matter before I fix it which adhesive/sealant should I use. Sekaflex ??? (512, 221, 521). Iam confused and where is best price.

Thanks

Terry

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
Consider fitting a roof rack and attach the panel to the roof rack, it makes it easier to make changes at a later date, also consider have some way of tilting the panel up so that you can be at a better angle to catch the sunlight. very important in UK latitudes.

If you have a aluminium skin on your roof think about what is going to happen if the panel is just stuck to the roof, as the aluminum skin will not be bonded to the roof but held in place by the fittings and the sealed edges.

Doug...

Upvote 0
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
We have our solar fixed to the roof of the MH with Sikaflex. I'm not sure which one , but Ralph did ask the company , which was the best one for the job.
We have never had any problems with it not tipping towards the sun , and it provides enough power for our family. Keeping everything fully charged between trips too.
We also had the same panel fixed to our last caravan , never had any problems with that either. The roof on that certainly wasn't as strong as the MH . We can walk on that . Ralph fixed brackets to the panel then glued the brackets to the roof. Hopefully it wont tear off !!
You have to be careful of the cheap stuff you see on ebay. So we were told. It has a sell by date seemingly.
Once its opened Sikaflex has to be used too, or it goes off, sets.
I'm sure someone will be on later to tell you which one to use.
If not I'll ask Ralph when he gets home for you.
Bev

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
221 is the most suitable all three have simular properties and can be used if thats what you have
221 is better for use between different materials and surfaces
uses include bonding and vehicle construction
Geo

Upvote 0
Oct 23, 2009
Anglesey North Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2010
I used 221 to put mine on ,just clean and rough the surface first and wait for a warm dry day

Upvote 0

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
Im on with 512 , still up there, took me over 56 hours to fit though. :winky: And even then I called in CLS to get some help,,, but dont worry just dont try and fix it whilst Marshalling a Rally of 60 vans and having to get off your roof to park each one and then get back up the roof to get it done.
As for re-using it? its no problems if you use brackets as oppose to the posh housing parts. the brackets screw in, fix to your roof and then when its time to sell, you simpky unscrew the brackets.

Works wonders,

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp
My panel was screw fixed and sealed on to the roof not sure i would trust just useing a bonding glue to keep it on top @ 70MPH on the M1
with a wind comming at me ::bigsmile:

Ian & Carole

Upvote 0

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
My panel was screw fixed and sealed on to the roof not sure i would trust just useing a bonding glue to keep it on top @ 70MPH on the M1
with a wind comming at me ::bigsmile:

Ian & Carole

Trust me, I though the same and I have my CAMOS fies the same way (on the feet of course) and now the panel. I cant believe it neither but its the way to do it apparantly.:thumb:

Upvote 0

Benni-Boy

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Halifax
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
30 years
Hi. I was always led to believe that a solar panel should have air circulating all round it and so should be fastened to the roof with a bracket at each end holding it away from the roof. I have a factory fitted one on my Benimar and it has about an inch or so of clearance underneath. I understand they can get quite hot.
Good way to go though. No more low or flat batteries.

Upvote 0

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Having lost one panel last year to rot on the connections I would def urge you to fit it with an air gap as Benni-Boy suggests..

Ok, so I resurrected it, but not everyone has the gear to repair solar panels :Smile:

Upvote 0

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
If you are going to screw into the roof you need to get a plan of the roof battens so that you can screw in to wood and not just the foam.

If you have the Swift type of roof, IE the kind that has a non bonded aluminum skin and you don't screw the panel/bracket down but just bond it, the the solar panel can move up and down coursing a "Pant" and you could end up with a cracked aluminium skin.

I'm not saying it's is going to happen but it could and I have seen it myself, I have seen a motor home overtake me at high speed and I could see the panel moving, even at a distance.

Doug...

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back