Solar Panel fitting- The effects of polish (1 Viewer)

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Greetings,

I am seeking yet more advice from the community.

We are about to have a solar panel fitted to the roof of "The Beast".
Yesterday I did my best impersonation of Lionel Richie, dancing on the ceiling to give the roof a wash. I had noticed that, although not particularly dirty, the roof had a gritty feel with thousands of what I could only describe as fly droppings on it.

Anyway, I spent a good time up there giving it the once over and now comes my question.
I have half a mind (no comments please) to treat the surface of the roof to a dose of "Greased lightening" or something similar but, I am aware that this product, widely advertised on TV, has Carnuba wax in it and, if the TV is to be believed, will cover the surface in an invisible layer of wax that will prevent 'things' sticking to it. (On the advert, they spray paint and and attack it with bitumen which comes off with a wipe).

What would be the effect of a Greased Lighteninged roof when the installer uses Sikaflex. Would it adhere or am I best leaving well alone until the solar panel has been installed and then doing the roof.

As always, all comments and suggestions gratefully received.

Tmesis

Free Member
Mar 28, 2013
Surrey
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
4 years
If the question is "will wax stop sikaflex sticking" then the answer is no, as the fitter will clean the surface first and then key it before applying the gunk.

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
I use Mer polish whenever we return from a long run out after a good wash down. I use the Mer all over the MH and to date have not ever seen the "black streak" marks after 3 years.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi you should do the roof --the solar installer should clean and probably ruff up the bits he is sticking to (y)
terry

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back