Deceased RIP
May 8, 2011
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Started in1974 with a converted London ambulance
I know this subject has been done to death but I need the team's advice on this one !!
Have just fitted 2 x 85w solar panels on the roof of my van,the cables (4mm x 5m) are
about 18" short of the battery.I've found :winky:a short length of 6mm cable to make this
up,questions,,can I joint the cables using a 30 amp terminal block ? Do I need a fuse
between the regulator and battery ? if so what type and amp in the 6mm cable.
I have a 20 amp LCD regulator which I was going to fit in the cargo bay near the battery
but when the bay is loaded I won't be able to see it so have decided to put it in the
wardrobe 2.5m from the battery,will this be ok ?I have 2 x 85amp Leisure batteries and
intend to connect panels to one only,is this ok ?
Sorry this is a bit long winded but I want to get it right before I connect up. :Doh:

Cheers Bob

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
hi 6mm cable will be fine to make up the length.
30 amp terminal block will also be ok.
a fuse is always a good thing between battery and anything connected to it as long as its as close to the battery as possible to protect the cabling.
you can connect to 1 battery although balancing is better ie + on 1 battery - on second battery .
the cable between the regulator and the batteries is the one where if its too thin you will get power loss so the shorter / thicker the better.

JRE

Free Member
Jan 27, 2013
West Wales
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Since 2009
You didn'y say whether you had instaled a regulator in the circuit before the batteries to control the charging. A necessary addition to protect the batteries.
Also if your vehicle is also 2009 the constructor may have provided a facility to connect direct to their PSU. In this way you can charge both the leisure and the cab batteries, or as it's winter, the cab battery alone.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back