Solar Panel Connections (1 Viewer)

X

Xoxoc

Deleted User
Hi,

What is the recommended and/or acceptable method for connecting multiple panels together before going to the regulator?

I have panels with MC4 connectors and wondered if I could/should use proper 2 to 1 adaptors (if available) or should I cut the connectors off and use another method of joining the wires?

Your advice and guidance please ::bigsmile:

Bryan

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Not advice Bryan... (need someone cleverer than me for that...) but information for what it is worth.

I took the wires from each of my panels to a block of what I call "chocolate box" connectors inside the Wagon near to the regulator and then fat wire from the connector to the regulator.

It requires more wire but it gives me the chance to check the output of each panel if I wish...

JJ

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Hi Bryan,

If no one comes with any tech answers, just give our workshop lads a ring, they will be happy to advise.

Be patient as our phones can get busy at the moment.

Peter

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
my single panel had the special plug and i cut it off and connected straight to the controller.

you could do the same with multiple panels and use an electrical waterproof box for both the entry and connection point.

usually 3 or 4 entry points so panel wires into as many as needed and outlet to control into one drilled in the back.

drill roof and sikaflex box over hole, makes a neat and waterproof entry point...route single cables through roof to control unit.

use a 'chocolate' block connector inside the box and its best to tin the wires or better still...solder them together and dont use a block then insulate well.

OP
OP
X

Xoxoc

Deleted User
my single panel had the special plug and i cut it off and connected straight to the controller.

you could do the same with multiple panels and use an electrical waterproof box.

So basically a waterproof junction box on the roof?

OP
OP
X

Xoxoc

Deleted User
Don't s'pose you got a link to the kinda box yer talkin' about? :winky::thumb:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
and its best to tin the wires

I used to make that mistake then I was told by someone a bit clever NEVER tin because solder is soft and over time it moves and the joint becomes lose.

Aircraft connections are usually crimped, soldered joints if subjected to vibration can shear where the solder ends.

Happy Hippy

Free Member
May 16, 2010
In my bus
Funster No
MH
Scruffy old bus
Exp
Full time since April 2007, part time since early 80's
It's worth fitting blocking diodes with multiple panels, so if one panel ever fails, the others can't discharge through it.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
i used the round version of this box...but the shape is immaterial.

hole drilled in the base for entry to van.

cable entry points are self sealing but I'd advise a bit of silicon on the inside to be sure.

mine is actually under the panel so is also protected from rain by the panel.

Link Removed

you can get them with up to IP68 waterproof rating but they start to get complicated.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
I see myself buying Papa John a drink at Wrenbury Bryan when he wires mine up, Are you bringing your drill Bryan? and also what time you getting there?? If we can get together we can fit them all together, Ive had a good look and contacted a few "experts" and it looks pretty simple for a euro van.
Will you be able to bring your soldering iron John?
I recon we can have all fitted by Thursday tea time and be sat down eating some of Nikkis cakes before the days out. I will be the roof monkey if you like as I am the fittest :winky:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I used to make that mistake then I was told by someone a bit clever NEVER tin because solder is soft and over time it moves and the joint becomes lose.

Aircraft connections are usually crimped, soldered joints if subjected to vibration can shear where the solder ends.

while I'm not disagreeing with you Brian, i was always told a soldered joint will be far superior to a crimped joint and a solder 'tin' or a soldered furrell on a wire end will be better than a bare stranded wire.

corrosion can manifest in a crimp....it cant get into a solder joint...only tarnish and oxidise it.

we were obviously told by different people.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
we were obviously told by different people.

And I wasn't trying to score points, just passing on information that surprised me. Impeccable sources, one was BAE, their gold plated aerospace grade crimps are £3 each I was told.

Personally I like bootlace ferules. Crimped. Ticks all the boxes, cable protected, sound joint and it looks good.

I've done thousands of soldered cable joints, they fail regularly where the solder ends if subjected to flexing, the copper work hardens against the end of the solder and once hard fails.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
I agree with Brian. I was also been taught not to solder multi-strand wires when crimping is possible when vibration is likely to occur...

JJ

Well I agree with Papajohn because he's ace ::bigsmile:::bigsmile:
And Nikki.s vibrator has multi strand wires crimped Ive just checked :thumb:

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
Help please

I intend in the end to have 3 x 80 watt solar panels so what wattage regulator will I need and point maybe point me in the direction of one maybe?

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
while I'm not disagreeing with you Brian, i was always told a soldered joint will be far superior to a crimped joint

A bit off topic but nonetheless interesting......

What a coincidence.

Just built a new helicopter. First test flight after a minute of so it nearly destroyed itself. I hear one servo buzzing. Wag the wires and buzzing stopped. Looked inside, one wire come off - direct solder to pcb. No support. Well it is cheap Chinese. Easily repaired.

Today, same heli, after a couple of batteries of hovering, started spinning. Close to ground and saved. Pull different make of servo apart - exactly the same wire unsoldered. This was a different make of Chinese servo. Easily repaired.

I've had two a while ago now I think about it.

I should but haven't so far put a tiny blob of glue to provide a strain relief.

Not quite the same quality of wiring as a solar panel of course but it does illustrate the weakness of soldered joints.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I intend in the end to have 3 x 80 watt solar panels so what wattage regulator will I need and point maybe point me in the direction of one maybe?

No-one answered.....

3*80=240/12= 20A So look for 25A or so to be on the safe side, who knows yo may find SUN one day.

I don't know any makes but a quick look on ebay found this....

Link Removed

It says all the right things in the blurb.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
And it appears no one answered the OP either
each panel has the facility inside its own black box for connecting panels together the last panel connected then goes through the roof gland, no need for any external connector box's at all really :thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back