Not open for further replies.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Very scary experience.. :eek:

reminds me of the time the awning on my RV unfurled doing 60 mph on the M6 .. still gives me the shivers just thinking about it..

Just for info..

when I purchased my Alden AS 4 Auto Sat dish it was supplied with

Sika 252 + Sika Akitvator

There is no mechanical fixings or screws to hold it to the roof.. it has been on for over 3 years ..

this is the procedure, instructions by Alden

Sika 252 for fixing sat dish or solar panels.
  1. Use a pencil to mark the place of the unit on the roof.
  2. Sand the roof surface with sandpaper.
  3. Clean each surface with a thinner.
  4. Spread Sika-Aktivator on the sanded surface.
    Leave to dry for 15 to 20 minutes.
  5. Glue generously the base of the unit with SikaFlex 252 then press slightly on the unit. Layer of glue: ± 3 mm.
  1. To accelerate the polymerisation, spray a little water on the visible parts of the glue.
Leave to dry for 24 hours.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Deleted User
cant understand why anyone would rely on just adeasive, its only as good as the paint its stuck to, whats wrong with a screw through them as well

I found this on another forum a while back. It is a photo of a Fiat roof where the adhesive didn't fail but the paint came off the vehicle. Another argument for using screws or other mechanical fixing.

upload_2018-11-12_8-52-51.png

Basildog

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2018
Funster No
Most are using the wrong products .
Modern adhesive should be more than capable of doing the job but as with everything it’s about doing everything by the manufacturers instructions and not guesswork or making do with some alcohol cleaner you think is ok .
Attention to detail with surface preparation and using the Aktivator and 252i

Deleted User
6 aluminium brackets, sikaflex and stainless steel screws in each bracket. Why risk killing someone?
Also, if there was an incident that caused serious damage or harm then there would be an investigation to the cause and try to find if anyone had been negligent. If the panels were simply glued on and the joint failed then how hard would it be to prove you were not negligent and hence not responsible for the incident. I wouldn't like to be in that situation.

Basildog

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2018
Funster No
6 aluminium brackets, sikaflex and stainless steel screws in each bracket. Why risk killing someone?
I would rather not bother with solar than drill holes in the roof but as I find solar pretty useless from September to April and don’t need it the rest of the year then maybe I won’t bother fitting any on this van (y)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I found this on another forum a while back. It is a photo of a Fiat roof where the adhesive didn't fail but the paint came off the vehicle. Another argument for using screws or other mechanical fixing.

View attachment 266908

we don't know what adhesive was used.. and clearly a bodge job

but in any case, clearly the preparation was poor.. or non existent, you can't bond onto paint, should have been sanded down to remove the paint. as per SIKA INSTRUCTIONS

with correct preparation, (as posted) and using SIKA 252 + Akitvator, it will never come off

there is no need to pepper your roof with screws..

If the adhesive fails due to using the incorrect Sika and or poor preparation, it's doubtful if a few self tapping screws will hold a heavy solar panel onto the roof.. IMV they will simply rip out ..

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
I would never rely on any adhesive alone without mechanical fixing in such a situation.
The consequences of this could have been fatal just for a few screws.

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
This is why I prefer the SemiFlexible Panels ensure the roof is clean and wipe IPA to give correct base contact then the adhesive is applied to the solar in lines every 100/150mm with a break in the middle to allow any damp/condensation to breath.
Done correctly it’s impossible for wind to pass underneath,quality units can be stood on if really nessasary to get about on the roof if it’s really busy up there as many are,it’s a win win situation.

Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
Turning into an interesting thread this.

Myself, I used Sika 252 attached to 25mm aluminium box the full width of each panel, with the panels Sika'd above. I did this to give maximum adhesion and an air gap under the panels. Rock solid after 6 years.

On my next conversion I've decided to fit two lengths of aluminium L bracket the full length of my roof. These will be stuck with Sika 252 again - and rivited. They will be the correct distance apart to rivit solar panels between them.

I'll paint the visible parts of the brackets to match the van before fitting - should make the panels quite hidden (and still an air gap). Doing it this way in case a panel ever fails and needs replacing.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Nothing wrong with adhesive if the correct adhesive has been used correctly. Self-tappers into very thin alloy aren't going to do much.
If you are going to use screws you need to put a spreader plate on the inside of the roof and bolt though to that. How many of you who advocate the use of screws have done that?

Don't notice cars driving down the road with bits falling off them, most car front wings and various other bits are glued on with PU adhesive.

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
The panels were fitted by me 13 months ago using Silkaflex 521. Both surfaces were well cleaned and keyed before fixing. The Silkaflex has parted from the plastic feet as a good amount of approx 6mm high Silkaflex remains on the GRP roof of the van.
Scary stuff! Thanks for letting us know. And kudos to you for putting your hand up and saying it was you who fitted the panels. I suspect some would have hidden behind the event happening to a ‘friend’. (y)

Jun 15, 2009
Pontefract Yorkshire.
Funster No

Myself, I used Sika 252 attached to 25mm aluminium box the full width of each panel, with the panels Sika'd above. I did this to give maximum adhesion and an air gap under the panels. Rock solid after 6 years.

On my next conversion I've decided to fit two lengths of aluminium L bracket the full length of my roof. These will be stuck with Sika 252 again - and rivited. They will be the correct distance apart to rivit solar panels between them.

I'll paint the visible parts of the brackets to match the van before fitting - should make the panels quite hidden (and still an air gap). Doing it this way in case a panel ever fails and needs replacing.
Wissel was it you I sold the Sika 252 to? john clark

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Nothing wrong with adhesive if the correct adhesive has been used correctly. Self-tappers into very thin alloy aren't going to do much.
If you are going to use screws you need to put a spreader plate on the inside of the roof and bolt though to that. How many of you who advocate the use of screws have done that?

Don't notice cars driving down the road with bits falling off them, most car front wings and various other bits are glued on with PU adhesive.
Good point about self-tappers into thin aluminium. The roof of our PVC is steel of course and the screws grip very well. :)

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
F3276F7D-14A1-440E-B68A-3B00D5C77BFD.jpeg
Well I for one have been up and had a check of mine all joints seem to be good after 18 months but I will check them from time to time.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Good point about self-tappers into thin aluminium. The roof of our PVC is steel of course and the screws grip very well. :)

When using mechanical fixings ensure you find supporting roof framework if the surface of the roof is inadequate for a secure fixing.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
we don't know what adhesive was used.. and clearly a bodge job

but in any case, clearly the preparation was poor.. or non existent, you can't bond onto paint, should have been sanded down to remove the paint. as per SIKA INSTRUCTIONS

with correct preparation, (as posted) and using SIKA 252 + Akitvator, it will never come off

there is no need to pepper your roof with screws..

If the adhesive fails due to using the incorrect Sika and or poor preparation, it's doubtful if a few self tapping screws will hold a heavy solar panel onto the roof.. IMV they will simply rip out ..
Of course they will - tiny self-tappers into a couple of mm of aluminium or GRP. Aeroplanes, cars, and wind generators, are being glued together these days some of which might be subject to higher stresses than a solar panel :).

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999

I do the same as you plan to do but I use Rivnuts & 5mm stainless screws. That way I can easily remove the panel without drilling rivets. (Belt & braces in case the connections to the panel fail.)

Mar 11, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2010

How did you manage to check that the area the screws were going into were clear of any wiring?

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Many of us have motorhomes that are basically glued together! seems to be holding together so far.

better than a dreamliner anyway.
Composite materials

Disassembled composite fuselage section of the Boeing 787
The 787 is the first major commercial airplane to have a composite fuselage, composite wings, and use composites in most other airframe components.[213] Each 787 contains approximately 77,000 pounds (35 metric tons) of carbon fiber reinforced polymer (CFRP), made with 51,000 lb (23 t) of carbon fiber.[214] Carbon fiber composites have a higher strength-to-weight ratio than conventional aircraft materials, and help make the 787 a lighter aircraft.[185] Composites are used on fuselage, wings, tail, doors, and interior. Boeing had built and tested the first commercial aircraft composite section while studying the proposed Sonic Cruiser in the early 2000s.[215][216] The first carbon/epoxy primary structure was put into service on the Boeing 737 Classic horizontal tail in 1984, and the largest use of composite structures is 60 percent in the Boeing–Sikorsky RAH-66 Comanche.[217]

Carbon fiber, unlike metal, does not visibly show cracks and fatigue, prompting concerns about the safety risks of widespread use of the material;[80][218][219] the rival Airbus A350 XWB uses composite panels on a frame, a more conventional approach, which its contractors regarded as less risky.[81] Although fired in 2006, Boeing engineer Vince Weldon complained to management, and later to the public: the composite fuselage was unsafe compared to conventional aluminum designs, and in a crash, was more likely to "shatter too easily and burn with toxic fumes".[220]

In addition, a potential issue is the porous nature of composite materials: collected moisture expanding with altitude can cause delamination.[221] Boeing responded that composites have been used on wings and other passenger aircraft parts for many years without incident, and special defect detection procedures will be instituted for the 787 to detect any potential hidden damage.[222]

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
How did you manage to check that the area the screws were going into were clear of any wiring?
A good question. :) All I can say is from what I could see of the underneath where the screws were to be put there was no wiring. The screws are right at the edge of the roof and I don't think any of the vehicle wiring runs along the inside of the roof, it mostly seems to come from the floor and rear corners.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
You won't find that in a modern roof.

Are you saying that on for instance my Hymer a class the roof has no internal framing, I am surprised .
My last RV in avatar had aluminium box section framing in walls and roof which I secured my solar panels to in addition to adhesive.

Basildog

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2018
Funster No
Are you saying that on for instance my Hymer a class the roof has no internal framing, I am surprised .
My last RV in avatar had aluminium box section framing in walls and roof which I secured my solar panels to in addition to adhesive.

If your HYMER is like our new one it’ll be made of old egg boxes stuck together with toffee and chocolate (y)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back