Solar Panel battery charging (2 Viewers)

Micky 2 Bel's

Free Member
Jun 27, 2017
Kent
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Hi

I've got a 2009 Autotrail Arapaho with a Sargent EC325 and a pre installed solar panel by Autotrail at 85w.

I'm after some help understanding the way this solar panel charges the batteries, the handbook is not very helpful, so after some advice from experienced people such as your good selves.

My understanding is that I have an in built charger that will do both, the vehicle battery, and the Leisure battery. My confusion is how this works, because I believe its part of the Sargent EC325. I keep my motorhome in an outdoor storage site, and the solar panel has been cleaned, and still is. Now I know the winter months are a bit darker so not getting the benefit of the long sunny days, but surely it should still be charging the batteries as my other solar chargers do. I know 85W is not very good but it should still be enough to keep a small trickle charge going in.
My vehicle battery keeps dropping low to the point it wont start the engine, but the leisure battery keeps around 11.2V. I do have a Phantom Tracker system on the vehicle, and that is the only thing that should be drawing any power.

Is it a case the solar panel charger that is part of the Sargent EC325, will only work when it's on an EHU?
As I said, other solar chargers I have will continue to charge batteries providing there is a small amount of light.
Or am I missing something very obvious?

All help greatly appreciated

Mick

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
However, a Lithium battery will store/deliver 3v per cell.
I agree that 15.1v sounds wrong for a lead acid battery and would question the accuracy of the panel.
I thought a lithium cell (LiFePO4) would usually be higher than 3v, 3x4=12v which Is below the suggested operating range.

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
according to the panel above the door the leisure battery is now 15.1V
An isolated lead-acid battery can not give out a voltage of more than 13.6 volts. If it's higher, it means something is charging it. The solar panel, I presume.

15.1 volts is, as others have said, a remarkable voltage, especially if the battery is fully charged or nearly so.

Is it possible that the solar controller is defective, and is feeding the panel voltage straight through to the battery without controlling it? Possibly also draining the battery when the sun isn't shining?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

ChitChat

Free Member
Sep 10, 2020
Funster No
MH
Auto trail tracker
Exp
Coach
I know this is an old post but I had the same problem but forgotten the simplest solution to charging our vehicle batteries because they were flat twice in the year since we bought it. After taking it back to the dealership the mechanic explained that with the Sargent you need to leave the power switch on when you store the vehicle outside, as the control panel for the smart function to swap charging between vehicle and leisure batteries will not work and if the Sargent is powered off, then by default just charges the leisure batteries only.

Upvote 0

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
I know this is an old post but I had the same problem but forgotten the simplest solution to charging our vehicle batteries because they were flat twice in the year since we bought it. After taking it back to the dealership the mechanic explained that with the Sargent you need to leave the power switch on when you store the vehicle outside, as the control panel for the smart function to swap charging between vehicle and leisure batteries will not work and if the Sargent is powered off, then by default just charges the leisure batteries only.

In winter storage without EHU, it is better to disconnect the batteries entirely in winter, making sure they're fully charged before hand. Then you've only got self-discharge to contend with. Even better is to remove them and stick them in your garage, where you can protect from freezing and can give an occasional top up charge if required (probably won't even be necessary for just a few months).

Upvote 0
May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
In winter storage without EHU, it is better to disconnect the batteries entirely in winter, making sure they're fully charged before hand. Then you've only got self-discharge to contend with. Even better is to remove them and stick them in your garage, where you can protect from freezing and can give an occasional top up charge if required (probably won't even be necessary for just a few months).
Not a good idea if your insurance company insist on an alarm or tracker, they need power.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back