LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Agree with Martin (he soaks up a ton of sun), with the exception of the brackets. Plastic corner brackets will be fine and the MC4 connecting cables are a must. You can also get them to join 2 SP together.
Have a look at these guys. I rate them highly for quality.
https://www.photonicuniverse.com/

But would the plastic corners match the ridges on a sprinter roof;)

Martin

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
We've got 2 leisure batteries but have been considering getting a solar panel so that we don't have to have EHU. However, recently I've been wondering if we actually need one.

If we do need one, could we manage with a folding solar kit? That way, I think, we won't need to have a roof mounted panel and will just be able to plug in the kit to our existing batteries without any installation worries. Am I right?

I've been looking at this one: -
https://www.photonicuniverse.com/en...ny-other-12V-system---German-solar-cells.html

Any advice would be much appreciated.

hi rob and val..ive got an 80w folding that I used on my camper, before I got round to fitting a fixed 100w on the roof..
they are effective and the output better than laying flat , but its a hassle setting it up constantly moving it and worrying about the thing getting nicked, so for me the fixed panel is the better option..
you also most probably need to extend the leads so that it can be moved around the van without having to unplug and throw wires under the van..
if you are ever up this way you would be welcome to borrow it and see how you get on ..most probably unlikely but the offer is there... I would be in no rush for it back..
it is from photonics universe the same people you linked to but it is only 80w.
andy.

Rob and Val

Free Member
Oct 17, 2010
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Talbot Compass Calypso
Exp
Since July 2010
Thanks, @andy63, that's a really kind offer. Still not sure if we actually need one as opposed to wanting one! Was also thinking about where to store it when travelling, as we only have a small low-profile, and the possibility of it getting damaged in transit. And, as you say, worrying about some scrote nicking it!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Why not invest in a battery monitor, first? This will act as a “fuel gauge” for your batteries and will be useful to tell you when your batteries are getting flat. Watching that monitor will tell you if you really need to have an additional power source, or not, and how big it would need to be. If you find you never get to ‘rock bottom’ at least you have an early warning system to tell you if you’re ever getting close.

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
We've got 2 leisure batteries but have been considering getting a solar panel so that we don't have to have EHU. However, recently I've been wondering if we actually need one.

If we do need one, could we manage with a folding solar kit? That way, I think, we won't need to have a roof mounted panel and will just be able to plug in the kit to our existing batteries without any installation worries. Am I right?

I've been looking at this one: -
https://www.photonicuniverse.com/en/catalog/full/214-120W-12V-folding-solar-charging-kit-for-camper-caravan-boat-or-any-other-12V-system---German-solar-depend on what cells.html

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Whether you need one will depend on what type of camping you do.

You might need one if you are likely to be rallying for more than 4/5 nights at a time. If you are touring or moving on every couple of days no! If you want to store your van with no ehu then i would get a roof mounted one.

I had a cassette type with only one 75ah battery and it done the job, but i much prefer the roof mounted one, once its there its an integral part of the unit.

OP
OP
Shiny Paul.

Shiny Paul.

Free Member
Jul 30, 2017
Thaxted, Essex.
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion.
Exp
30 years of weekends away motor racing.
I am only really needing it to keep the leisure batteries topped up, I have a split charge system only at present and use the van every day, but only for a 3 mile round trip and this doesnt seem to be keeping the leisure batteries topped up when the fridge is on.
We only camp away at weekends, usually only a couple of nights at a time

Last edited:

Rob and Val

Free Member
Oct 17, 2010
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Talbot Compass Calypso
Exp
Since July 2010
Why not invest in a battery monitor, first? This will act as a “fuel gauge” for your batteries and will be useful to tell you when your batteries are getting flat. Watching that monitor will tell you if you really need to have an additional power source, or not, and how big it would need to be. If you find you never get to ‘rock bottom’ at least you have an early warning system to tell you if you’re ever getting close.
That's good advice, @rogher. Thank you!

Rob and Val

Free Member
Oct 17, 2010
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Talbot Compass Calypso
Exp
Since July 2010
Whether you need one will depend on what type of camping you do.

You might need one if you are likely to be rallying for more than 4/5 nights at a time. If you are touring or moving on every couple of days no! If you want to store your van with no ehu then i would get a roof mounted one.

I had a cassette type with only one 75ah battery and it done the job, but i much prefer the roof mounted one, once its there its an integral part of the unit.
If we do stay somewhere for more than 3 days then it tends to be a campsite. Other than that we would be touring e.g. using aires in France. The van is parked on the drive when we are not using it and so has access to EHU.

So, it seems that the best course would be as @rogher suggests, i.e. a couple of battery monitors. Thanks, guys, you've probably saved us a lot of money!

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
By battery monitor I mean an “Ah counter” and you will only need one. I would go for NASA or Victron. They will subtract the Ah taken out of the habitation battery and add up any put back in, thus keeping an eye on what you have remaining in the battery. They can also tell you the voltage of the starter battery, hence rough state of charge.

You will soon learn how long you can sensibly use your habitation battery for, under different conditions, and then decide the best course of action. One solution may be a “bigger tank” (another battery) or simply to use less power, but you ought to understand (measure) the problem before you try to fix it.

OP
OP
Shiny Paul.

Shiny Paul.

Free Member
Jul 30, 2017
Thaxted, Essex.
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion.
Exp
What are peoples thoughts on this solar panel kit to charge my 2x 110ah leisure batteries ?

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
What are peoples thoughts on this solar panel kit to charge my 2x 110ah leisure batteries ?
It will do the job but I would be tempted to go for two panels and a MPPT controller, a little bit more money but you will get more power.

Photonics universe seem to have similar kit.

Martin

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
That controller is a cheap Chinese one, Truma put their name on it and probably other companies too. I've known of 2 failing. Get a Votronic duo250 mppt controller.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
For the price, I would say go for it! The controller will do the job as it's rated at 20 Amp. Get rid of those croc clips though!

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
What do folks think of this, they were displaying this in the Shepton mallet show, I'm really tempted.
Works without sun.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Have you got a curved roof? I think they're for boats really. And it's expensive.

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
Have you got a curved roof? I think they're for boats really. And it's expensive.
No we haven't got a curved roof and we have the 60watt suitcase one currently but as said we have to be in the van to go out and turn it to the sun which is a pain and would like to just leave it to charge.
Looking at a different way.

OP
OP
Shiny Paul.

Shiny Paul.

Free Member
Jul 30, 2017
Thaxted, Essex.
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion.
Exp
That does look a bit on the expensive side.

flatpackchicken

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2010
BICESTER OXFORDSHIRE
Funster No
MH
A Class Frankia I8000
Exp
Since nov 2009
I have 3 x 100w panels and have just bought a new controller as last one Chinese rubbish overheating and overcharging. Expensive but does the job and also provides power to my fridge on AES system when batteries full up
Hope to save a lot on gas consumption when not on ehu i.e. Wild camping or on site as don't need ehu as my fridge uses a lot of gas and thus AES system gives me another option to run fridge via controller !!!!! Hopefully pic below of controller and is s 430w capacity with AES control and is German made Regards Garry Flatpackchicken

Attachments

• IMG_1562.JPG
    IMG_1562.JPG
    141.1 KB · Views: 35
Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
I have seen these (or similar) inside front windows of motorhomes when parked up in Spain. (complies with Spanish parking laws for motorhomes) It's a great idea if your just going to roll it up and store it away in a cupboard when not in use and very quick and simple to roll out and connect whenever your parked up. (They are designed for fitting to curved and angled surfaces).
However, I would recommend you consider fitting a fixed SP to your roof and put up as much as your system will accommodate. (Saves money and effort later on if and when you want to add more).
I have 1 x 125 W. SP on the roof, 2 x 100AH leisure batteries (Maximum my intelligent charger can fully charge and maintain) and 1 x120 W suitcase SP with extension cable and snap connectors fitted to my leisure batteries. This meets all of my needs and allows us to be off hook up (especially in winter) for considerable periods.

OP
OP
Shiny Paul.

Shiny Paul.

Free Member
Jul 30, 2017
Thaxted, Essex.
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion.
Exp
Ok guys, I have ordered a kit for my van, but I have one question for the experts amongst you, my leisure batteries are currently (excuse the pun) being charged via a split charge relay from the engine alternator, do I need to isolate this before wiring the solar panels in or can both run together without fear of damaging anything. ?

lawry

Free Member
Jun 25, 2017
MERTHYR TYDFIL
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne 840se
Exp
8 years
When two battery charging systems are working side by side simultaneously, each follows its own internal algorithms to get the job done. However, when this happens, and the two charging systems measure the battery voltage to determine which charging stage they should each be in, they don’t see a “real” value. They see an artificially elevated battery voltage due to the presence of the other charging system. This can throw one or the other or both systems off of their normal Bulk-Absorb-Float cycle.

Because solar charging systems operate 24/7, the most common scenario in which two charging systems work simultaneously is solar charging and some form of artificially powered charging, either a converter or inverter/charger when the MH is plugged into shore power or the generator is turned on, or an engine alternator when MH is under way.

The bottom line with two charging systems working simultaneously is that each will do a little work, but one will do more work than the other High end charge controllers are designed to ensure that the batteries are never overcharged. They are the gate keepers for the solar panels and will reduce the current coming in from the panels to 0 amps if need be.

There are many factors to consider when running an artificially powered charging system alongside a solar charging system. And in reality, just letting the two systems do their thing without worrying about how they get along is probably fine.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
. I recently fitted a 100w panel bought off eBay for £100 including brackets controller etc to our daughters horse trailer and it is reportedly working well

l
As a matter of interest what does the horse use it for ? :whistle::D

Ok guys, I have ordered a kit for my van, but I have one question for the experts amongst you, my leisure batteries are currently (excuse the pun) being charged via a split charge relay from the engine alternator, do I need to isolate this before wiring the solar panels in or can both run together without fear of damaging anything. ?

My solar charges both leisure & van battery, as does the electric hook-up. The alternator charges the leisure batteries also when engine running. When parked at home van is always plugged in & running fridge as are the solar panels charging. I've never experienced any problems when starting the engine having all 3 options functioning at the same time.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Indeed these are a new type of panel and claim to be more efficient that traditional silicon panels, I have seen them demonstrated by sticking a voltmeter onto a unconnected panel and saying "look 20volts and the sun isn't shining" which tells me nothing to be fair as I want to see amps, I would like to see a real world test but as yet I am not convinced and yes they are expensive in comparison, and some of them are long a skinny so might be a problem finding room for them.

Martin

Alistair33

Free Member
Aug 23, 2016
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
None
As a matter of interest what does the horse use it for ? :whistle::D

My solar charges both leisure & van battery, as does the electric hook-up. The alternator charges the leisure batteries also when engine running. When parked at home van is always plugged in & running fridge as are the solar panels charging. I've never experienced any problems when starting the engine having all 3 options functioning at the same time.
Form a night light, it's scared of the dark of course ! It's only four years old

Vangoff

Free Member
Jul 18, 2016
Andover
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 670SLT Plus
Exp
Have a new Adria Coral 670 and am looking for a stick on solar panel ,can I connect this to the leisure battery only ? Wat do I need if this is a good idea?

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
Have a new Adria Coral 670 and am looking for a stick on solar panel ,can I connect this to the leisure battery only ? Wat do I need if this is a good idea?
Yes you can.

Make sure you wire in through a solar controller just before the batteries.

Some like MPPT controllers but a PWM is fine for under 150w of solar and 1/4 of the price.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back