Solar on starter battery??? (1 Viewer)

Jul 26, 2015
Devon
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
since 1999
Hi all. We have a 120w solar panel fitted to the roof of our Moho but it only charges the x2 leisure batteries,as the bus is in storage i could really do with the solar charging the starter battery too. Can i do this??Many thanks in advance(y)

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
I have a very simple arrangement of a link cable between solar output to leisure battery bank and the starter battery incorporating a fuse and diode. There is a small voltage drop across the diode but not significant. The arrangement has kept my starter battery charged as well as the leisure batteries. I did have a battery master type electronic switch but removed it as I was not happy with the switching voltages.

Derbyshire wanderer

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years
CAK tanks do a B2B trickle charger that has three wires. A common earth and one lead from the hab batteries and another to the vehicle battery.
It gives between 1 and 4 amps depending on the battery status.
I fitted mine near the control panel as all required connections are there without fitting long wires to each battery bank.
For less than £30, I think they are great for ensuring the vehicle battery stays charged.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

xyz

Free Member
Nov 9, 2011
Funster No
Exp
Awhile
Do you have an MPPT controller?

If not, then get a Votronic MPP165. This will charge your domestic battery and starter batter simultaneously and also run your if your fridge if it's AES compatable. Saves gas when the sun's shining.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Do you have an MPPT controller?

If not, then get a Votronic MPP165. This will charge your domestic battery and starter batter simultaneously and also run your if your fridge if it's AES compatable. Saves gas when the sun's shining.
Only if the fridge is AES and S+ I use battery master to maintain starter battery as it is not reliant on there being solar available which there is not in undercover storage.

Martin

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
A Battery Master should be all you need.
Available for sale in Jims Shop.

maxi77

Free Member
Mar 20, 2013
Kingdom of Fife
Funster No
MH
coacbuilt
Exp
The reason you find more complex connections between started and leisure batteries is it is all to easy to flatten both. For this reason I would suggest a VSR (voltage sensitive relay) which will switch on the connection when the liesure voltage is high enough to confirm it is being charge and switch it off again when the voltage drops. This will protect the charge in the starter battery.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I have a very simple arrangement of a link cable between solar output to leisure battery bank and the starter battery incorporating a fuse and diode. There is a small voltage drop across the diode but not significant. The arrangement has kept my starter battery charged as well as the leisure batteries. I did have a battery master type electronic switch but removed it as I was not happy with the switching voltages.

I have similar.

OP
OP
bluesurf989
Jul 26, 2015
Devon
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
since 1999
Thank you everybody for your input,all comments noted, just one thing,on our solar regulator there is space for another 2 wires,would it be that i can come out of there to the main battery??

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Thank you everybody for your input,all comments noted, just one thing,on our solar regulator there is space for another 2 wires,would it be that i can come out of there to the main battery??

Even if they are, which they may not be, the BCM does a better job because the leisure battery must first reach about 13.5V then any excess is transferred to the starter.

Some solar controller are intended as automatic night lights and switch on an output at dusk. Used for street signs and the like.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
on our solar regulator there is space for another 2 wires
Not read the whole thread but most solar controllers/regulators have two terminals usually labeled load terminals... quite often not used in motor home applications...
This is possibly what you are referring to.
They are used to supply a load of your choice from the battery bank the solar regulator is connected to..
I use mine to supply an outlet I use for charging torches phones etc as my controller allows me to see the load on that connection ... in the picture it's the terminals under the light bulb symbol.
20170923_210549.jpg

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Seems to be a Voltage sensitive relay in a box

That's about it though solid state and due to modest wires some form of current limit.

Not so with the normal split charge relay, it seems they use modest wiring to limit the current when the alternator kicks in.

maxi77

Free Member
Mar 20, 2013
Kingdom of Fife
Funster No
MH
coacbuilt
Exp
That's about it though solid state and due to modest wires some form of current limit.

Not so with the normal split charge relay, it seems they use modest wiring to limit the current when the alternator kicks in.

Not quite sure how they get a current limiter in that box, just using cable size will result in a fire when the receiving battery tries to draw excess current. Of course in normal use the starter battery will be well charges when you start and this unit will just compensate for normal internal battery losses

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back