Solar on a budget. (1 Viewer)

Oct 19, 2017
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Class C?
Exp
Returning to a motorhome.
I want to fit solar power to our wee Autocruise Vista, on a budget. If I do it, it has to a viable set up. Is it worth thinking about a used system? Is there much available? Are kits any good or just cheap tat? I have read numerous posts, but am not particularly au fait with what is available and of any use on the cheaper side of things, or indeed what components are a must have, rather than a useful addition. Sorry if this subject has been flogged to death, but so far this forum has been a godsend. Cheers John.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Depends on what you are trying to achieve.

1) Do you just want to keep the batteries charged when parked up van not in use.
2) Survive a couple of nights off grid D.
3) Survive for longer periods off grid.

With the panels, the cheaper ones generally perform well it is just the frames aren't as strong as the dearer ones, although don't know what the longevity is like.

Cheap regulators work but not much good in low light conditions, if you are going to rely on the solar well worth spending on a good MPPT regulator.
Even if you only keeping the batteries topped up make sure you get at least a 2 stage regulator preferably a 3 stage one if you want your batteries to last.

Camping Gaza

Free Member
May 7, 2016
La Châtre, Centre-Val de Loire France
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Low profile
Exp
Converted a Fiat Ducato PV a while back
Don't get a kit it will be too expensive and one or more components will be tat.

Decide your requirements and buy individual components. You dont need fancy meters, the solar controller once set up will do all its stuff automatically.

Don't expect the holy grail of harvested power in this country, there just is not enough sunlight here.

claims of 100watts out of a 100watt panel is plain fantasy unless you are standing on the surface of the sun that is!

A good MMPT controller is bettr than a PMW one but considerably more expensive and you have to ask is it worth it.

Cheap 10 quid controllers on ebay amazon are IMHO just not worth it, but dont be hoodwinked into a cheap one "rebranded" as expensive. ( look and you will see they all look the same)

Photonic universe website is worth buying from (google it)

I Use solar (300w on the roof) and on a cloudy day in the UK I get about 3 amps (depending on state of charged batteries) but in spain, a different story!

I also have a B2B, and find that to be the best solution.

Do you research and understand HOW solar systems work and you can do it on the cheap

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back