Solar meter error (any ideas?) (1 Viewer)

Feb 18, 2009
Guisborough North Yorkshi
Funster No
MH
Malibu T410
Exp
Since August 2008
Solar panels worked OK during the summer but had some issues with with the dealer/fiiter set up - seemed the engine battery was first to charge (Battery 1) so I have just swpped the connection over and reset it - at the same time decided to fit a meter - however the meter shows an error as soon as you plug in - basic instructions say to press K4 button to remove error light - doesn't matter what I press I can't seem to get rid of the error light and so cant set it up. Would appreciate any ideas where to start to see what might be causing this? maybe the meter itself is faulty?

Attachments

• IMG_0292.JPG
    IMG_0292.JPG
    104.2 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_0294.JPG
    IMG_0294.JPG
    94.8 KB · Views: 48

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Hi Steve and Sue

Does the solar work OK on its own now you have switched it over, when you connect solar you should connect the regulator to the battery and then connect the panels to the regulator.

I take it the meter is a straight plug in so not much you could do wrong.

Martin

OP
OP
SteveandSue
Feb 18, 2009
Funster No
MH
Malibu T410
Exp
Since August 2008
Hi Martin

Yes it is just a straight forward (allegedly) plug in meter I was hoping that someone might have a similar set up and could offer some suggestions as to the problem

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Hi Steve

I think you have the wrong MeTer for you controller the MT-5 goes with MPPT tracer series and your EP series takes MT-1.

Martin

Alistair33

Free Member
Aug 23, 2016
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
None
No answers, just questions

Try swapping the batteries back around ....... personally I’d rather have the engine battery charged first every time, I can get by with no habitation power but won’t get far with no engine power !

Is there power coming out of the meter

Take the meter out and see if there is power coming out of the solar

That should keep the thread up till someone who has a clue comes along

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
I did have a quick look and had couldn' think of much ..
Your meter as far as I could make out just has a data connection to the solar controller ... so all I would suggest is a complete re start and reboot observing the correct connecting sequence Martin has already mentioned..
Does your controller come with instructions on how to split the charge priorities between the two battery banks .or is it fixed..
Andy.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Just seen Martins comment. ..
I did notice when I Google that it showed a picture of an mt1 and yours was an mt5... but just thought it was a later model..
Andy

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
This page shows Steves EP series controller and optional MT-1.

http://www.epsolarpv.com/en/index.php/Product/pro_content/id/407/am_id/136
I think you have most probably solved that Martin. ..
I might have looked into that when I was checking to see if I could help but I got the impression from the op original post that it had all been working at some point and just went wrong after he changed the connections over...
If its the wrong meter its unlikely to have ever worked
Hope you have solved that one...
Andy..

OP
OP
SteveandSue
Feb 18, 2009
Funster No
MH
Malibu T410
Exp
Since August 2008
Hi Martin

Thanks for the info - we did check at Lincoln show that this was the right meter for our controller- didn't buy it from there though as we were undecided wether to even bother with a meter. Will have to check this out as you could very well be right? I note that the meter on your link says new - so maybe this is a newer version?

Alistair- appreciate your suggestion about charging engine battery first - but we don't put any load on this -when parked up so don't need to charge up with solar
Thanks for replies

Andy - yes the controller has very basic instructions on how to split charge & have altered this - but don't think this would show up as an error

TrebleH

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 29, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto, Iveco
Interesting thread, We have recently purchased a 2006 Concorde and immediately find that we too have problems with leisure battery charging, we have had it checked and a new controller fitted but still finding the leisure battery goes flat in 3 to 4 days, going to fit a second battery but could be we have a similar problem!!

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
OOPS ! looks like someone will get a good deal on an unused meter = appreciate spotting that = Thanks
I would take it as an omen and look at the MPPT controller:LOL:(y)

Martin

EDIT just to add a word of caution they seem to have moved to the MT50 now so I would be inclined to double or triple check compatibility if you did think of moving to MPPT.

Last edited:

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Interesting thread, We have recently purchased a 2006 Concorde and immediately find that we too have problems with leisure battery charging, we have had it checked and a new controller fitted but still finding the leisure battery goes flat in 3 to 4 days, going to fit a second battery but could be we have a similar problem!!
Do you have a problem with the batteries charging or with them holding the charge? Sounds possibly like the latter. Might be worth taking them off and charging fully then doing a capacity test. I certainly wouldn't add another battery until to make sure that the ones that are on are good, what sort are they.

You say "new controller fitted" is this the solar controller you do realise that you won't be getting much power from solar On a UK winters day.

Martin

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back