Solar Installer that knows what they are doing, recommendations please (1 Viewer)

Deleted User
Ive been trying to get a new solar installation organised for a month now. Spoken a few places, two that I was going to go with turned out to be the wrong choice.

Can someone recommend somewhere that
1) knows what they are actually doing, and
2) will install hardware that actually meets my requirements and not just fit try to install what ever they have lying around, even though its unsuitable, more expensive and inferior, because they cant be bothered to actually listen to what Ive asked for?

Ive attached a map area where I'd prefer the installer to be located, which is almost all of England.
Requirements:
The solar is for a 2012 9m Burstner Elegance (so first off they need the space to get my vehicle in).
I want a big single RIGID solar panel, minimum of AT LEAST 300w. Plenty of space on the roof to fit one of the Canadian Half Cell Panels even.
Something like a C-Tek dual B2B rather than a solar charge controller.
Replace the existing leisure lead acids with 2 new carbon gels. These are what John at Alpha Batteries has recommended https://www.alpha-batteries.co.uk/1...ad-carbon-ultra-deep-cycle-battery-dc12-100c/

I thought it was a simple enough request, but the place that had already fitted my inverter and some extra sockets for me were (unknowingly to me) about to fit a FLEXIBLE 200w panel (on a van with a 9m x 2.2m roof space available, because its what they use rather what i asked for), a 10a controller and AGM batteries that my EBL cant even work with. Better yet, having paid a Ā£700 deposit and waited for my installation date, they then cancelled 4 days beforehand (because the van the had already worked on previously "was too big and wasnt what they usually work on").

I need somewhere that knows what theyre doing and listens to what ive asked for please.

Im going to contact Rhino Installs as they have good reviews but I know they have a loooong waiting list on installations, so any other recommendations would be appreciated thanks.

Attachments

• Screenshot (55).png
    Screenshot (55).png
    652.1 KB · Views: 29

Bobby-gg

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2020
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Ducato IH pvc
Exp
Since 2010
We've got a one up here in Northumberland that I've seen has positive reviews on Facebook

Might be worth at least contacting and see what they say

Haven't used them personally myself as I do my own installs

Upvote 0
OP
OP

Deleted User
thanks Bobby,
i just had a 1/2hr chat with them.
He'd not heard of B2B and wasnt keen on the idea. Granted i dont know what im talking about but it seems better (to me) to not need to spend money on a separate charge controller when the B2B will handle that side and also give me better charging over the existing vehicle split charge system.
They were also very keen on fitting AGM's (even though I explained my EBL 220-2 elektroblock isnt compatible with them).

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

faraway

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 10, 2016
Kent
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 10
Exp
Getting better
Sorry, just enlarged your map and see vanBitz are a bit out of your search area as they are in Taunton in Somerset, but maybe you can stretch that far?

Reactions: f6c
Upvote 0
Jul 6, 2009
Funster No
Try Tom Donovan RV installations he is a Mullacott cross trading as RV installations. He has large workshops that will take your van. He is going to install 3 175 watt panels with mppt controller a Victron inverter generator and two 100 amp Lithium. He fitted my underslung gas tank, impressive standard of workman ship. He has several posts on his site of previous work carried out.
I have no connection with him but felt his knowledge to be very good on all things motorhome related.

Upvote 0

Bobby-gg

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2020
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Ducato IH pvc
Exp
Since 2010
thanks Bobby,
i just had a 1/2hr chat with them.
He'd not heard of B2B and wasnt keen on the idea. Granted i dont know what im talking about but it seems better (to me) to not need to spend money on a separate charge controller when the B2B will handle that side and also give me better charging over the existing vehicle split charge system.
They were also very keen on fitting AGM's (even though I explained my EBL 220-2 elektroblock isnt compatible with them).
I wouldn't of recommended them if I'd known that they'd never heard of a B2B!

Upvote 0
OP
OP

Deleted User
Sorry, just enlarged your map and see vanBitz are a bit out of your search area as they are in Taunton in Somerset, but maybe you can stretch that far?
Step too far away for me but thanks.

Upvote 0

androidGB

Free Member
Dec 28, 2009
Bristol
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2001
Calm Seas , I'd seriously reconsider Van Bitz, maybe another 60 Motorway miles each way, and you can have total confidence that they know what they're doing and it will be done properly. Worth another hour or so on the road in my opinion.

Plus you can stay on their award-winning campsite , so could make a mini-break out of it.

(Cheque to the usual address Eddie :LOL::LOL:)

Andrew

Upvote 0

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Calm Seas , I'd seriously reconsider Van Bitz, maybe another 60 Motorway miles each way, and you can have total confidence that they know what they're doing and it will be done properly. Worth another hour or so on the road in my opinion.

Plus you can stay on their award-winning campsite , so could make a mini-break out of it.

(Cheque to the usual address Eddie :LOL::LOL:)

Andrew
Thank you but weā€™re not the right installation Company for this as we donā€™t stock any of the items he requires

Upvote 0
OP
OP

Deleted User
have a word with Tyrone at Autoadditions or Dave at One Way Leisure
Autoadditions looks like Autoglass franchise model for fitting accessories (not keen), but Ive emailed Dave thank you

Upvote 0

Al n Val

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2019
West Yorkshire occasionally
Funster No
MH
Rapido i1090 Distinc
Exp
since 2018
Autoadditions looks like Autoglass franchise model for fitting accessories (not keen), but Ive emailed Dave thank you
Dave used to be a service tech for a large dealership in Lancs I believe, heā€™s gone on his own and used to have a Dethleffs and maybe now a big Burstner.

Not sure about Tyrone but his work and attitude are excellent

Upvote 0
Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Hi Calm Seas
I know you have suggested what you think might be best for your van, however I will go along with others and strongly suggest that you let Eddie @ Vanbitz give you his opinion on what will be the best set up to achieve what you want from your Solar/Charger/B2B setup.
He will know your vans current electrical set up, and you will have the peace of mind that whatever is installed will be of the best quality in terms of equipment used, and in the installation, along with aftersales service/advice that is second to none.
Its well worth the journey to Taunton, Somerset, as you can stay overnight on his lovely campsite, with award winning loo/shower block with piped rugby commentary should you wish.:giggle:
If I could not do my own solar/charging/even inverter set up myself, Vanbitz would be my first port of call, for performance & peace of mind.

You may well, as we did, have to wait a couple of months to get booked in, but it honestly is well worth it, and it again reflects the level of service one can expect.
Good Luck with your Solar/charging install, hope all goes well for you.
LES

Upvote 0
OP
OP

Deleted User
Hi Calm Seas
I know you have suggested what you think might be best for your van, however I will go along with others and strongly suggest that you let Eddie @ Vanbitz give you his opinion on what will be the best set up to achieve what you want from your Solar/Charger/B2B setup.
He will know your vans current electrical set up, and you will have the peace of mind that whatever is installed will be of the best quality in terms of equipment used, and in the installation, along with aftersales service/advice that is second to none.
Its well worth the journey to Taunton, Somerset, as you can stay overnight on his lovely campsite, with award winning loo/shower block with piped rugby commentary should you wish.:giggle:
If I could not do my own solar/charging/even inverter set up myself, Vanbitz would be my first port of call, for performance & peace of mind.

You may well, as we did, have to wait a couple of months to get booked in, but it honestly is well worth it, and it again reflects the level of service one can expect.
Good Luck with your Solar/charging install, hope all goes well for you.
LES
Thanks Tina,
I'm completely open to being suggested alternative options (its why im asking for recommendations for places that know what they are doing, to find experts I can trust because I'm not one) so long as they give me what i need (a large panel and batteries compatible with my EBL).

Upvote 0
Apr 2, 2014
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2003
As per your post, I can thoroughly recommend Phil at Rhino. Used him for years, but as you say - a long waiting list

Upvote 0
Oct 8, 2014
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Excel 600B
Exp
Previous VW Camper + Caravan
I can't help you with a suitable installer, as I fitted my own solar. However, I can recommend the CTEK D250SE.

When I bought my van 6 years ago, I knew very little about MH electrics and Solar. I did a lot of research and the CTEK unit seemed ideal, and simple to fit. One thing that initially worried me was the fact that if it failed, I would lose both solar input, and charging from the alternator. It is wired so I can easily switch to the original split-charger, if necessary.
I'm happy that it is a 5-stage charger that is always charging my leisure batteries, whether by Solar or B2B. I haven't used the EHU charger for years, though I occasionally top up with a trickle charger in mid winter, as the van is parked in the shade.

Mine is only suitable for lead-acid batteries, but the latest model caters for all types, including lithium.

It is meant to trickle charge the van battery when the hab batteries are fully charged, but I found that didn't work reliably during winter storage so I fitted a Vanbitz Battery Master which works well.

Knowing what I know now, in hindsight, I think that if I was starting again, I would probably exclusively use Victron equipment for the Solar and B2B, as they communicate with each other, and can be monitored by Bluetooth. I already have a Victron SmartShunt.

Good luck with your installation.

Upvote 0

Al n Val

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2019
West Yorkshire occasionally
Funster No
MH
Rapido i1090 Distinc
Exp
since 2018
Knowing what I know now, in hindsight, I think that if I was starting again, I would probably exclusively use Victron equipment for the Solar and B2B, as they communicate with each other, and can be monitored by Bluetooth. I already have a Victron SmartShunt.
Definitely recommend Victron stuff, you could argue itā€™s the best their is

Iā€™ve got a Smartsolar MPPT controller and an Orion DC to DC charger installed which just works perfectly. Iā€™ve never had any issues and tbh donā€™t expect to get any.

I can see at all times exactly whatā€™s itā€™s doing, even when travelling along.

If the OP wants the best, my money would def be on Victron

Al šŸ‘

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bobby-gg

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2020
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Ducato IH pvc
Exp
Since 2010
Love the victron stuff, and following this guide it's now got remote connection too

Upvote 0

MrPG

Free Member
Dec 9, 2017
Warwickshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Westfalia Amudsen
I can recommend Roadpro in Daventry.
I had a new solar controller to improve my existing solar panel, lithium batteries and 2000w inverter. I was keen to have another panel fitted and they advised I didnā€™t need it. To me this sort of advice is always a sign of a company who value the customer. Very happy with the cost, fitting and service. They will even lend you a courtesy car while they do the job.

Upvote 0
OP
OP

Deleted User
I wouldn't of recommended them if I'd known that they'd never heard of a B2B!
just got back from Solar Shack. (I put the B2B on the back burner for now).
Fitted me in in just over 2 weeks from booking last month! 495W single panel, MPPT controller, monitor and 2 new batteries fitted. Very happy! Somewhere that actually fits what I asked them for! Nice chap, good price and all done in just over 4 hours!
Proof is in the pudding obviously, but very pleased so far.
(Even removed the obsolete sat dish for me at the same time and secured the inverter the previous company had left bouncing about in the battery compartment).
IMG_4273.JPG

Upvote 0

Bobby-gg

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2020
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Ducato IH pvc
Exp
Since 2010
Fitted me in in just over 2 weeks from booking last month! 495W single panel, MPPT controller, monitor and 2 new batteries fitted. Very happy! Somewhere that actually fits what I asked them for! Nice chap, good price and all done in just over 4 hours!
Proof is in the pudding obviously, but very pleased so far.
(Even removed the obsolete sat dish for me at the same time and secured the inverter the previous company had left bouncing about in the battery compartment).
View attachment 547825
You should of let me know that you were in the area, I could of pointed you in the direction of things to do, places to visit whilst you were here šŸ‘

Glad that got sorted out anyway, did they also fit the gel carbon's you wanted? And are they now doing their research of the B2B's for your next upgrade šŸ˜‚

Upvote 0
Oct 8, 2014
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Excel 600B
Exp
Previous VW Camper + Caravan
Fitted me in in just over 2 weeks from booking last month! 495W single panel, MPPT controller, monitor and 2 new batteries fitted.
What MPPT Controller did they fit?

Upvote 0
OP
OP

Deleted User
You should of let me know that you were in the area, I could of pointed you in the direction of things to do, places to visit whilst you were here šŸ‘

Glad that got sorted out anyway, did they also fit the gel carbon's you wanted? And are they now doing their research of the B2B's for your next upgrade šŸ˜‚
thanks, found a great spot by the lake nearby for a couple of nights! Fantastic food in the pub there too!

Yes, he's having a look at B2B lol! I just went with some basic Numax 105ah lead acids for now as i really wanted to get rid of 5 year old ones. Hopefully when they need replacing Lithiums may be an option by then.

Im just so glad to have got it sorted.

Upvote 0

Bobby-gg

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2020
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Ducato IH pvc
Exp
Since 2010
thanks, found a great spot by the lake nearby for a couple of nights! Fantastic food in the pub there too!

Yes, he's having a look at B2B lol! I just went with some basic Numax 105ah lead acids for now as i really wanted to get rid of 5 year old ones. Hopefully when they need replacing Lithiums may be an option by then.

Im just so glad to have got it sorted.
Yes, would of told you about that one, I pass most day's on my way to work and check how many visitors we have šŸ˜‚

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back