Free Member
May 30, 2010
County Durham
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
2 days
I have decided that my next step is solar panels on the van but before I take the plunge can I just pick the brains of some of the experts out there...

Im looking at a 130w panel to top up the 2 x 110 leisure battery's.

As the van is kept in storage I think I need a dual controller to keep the vehicle battery topped up as well but have seen something called an MPPT controller - are these better / necessary / worth the extra cost ? and do they charge both batterys.

Next do I go for a controller that shows me exactly what the system is doing or do I go for the ones with a series of LED lights (the van has a sargent PSU2007 system fitted which shows me what charge the batterys have and what the current going in/out is - is this accurate or is it not worth looking at)

Sorry for the number of questions but i want to make sure i get it right first time.

Thanks in advance

Des

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
You will need at least a 10A controller. You need an expert on your particular van electrics, as mine charges all the batteries without the need for a dual controller,and if you don't need one it will save you a few bob.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Whichever controler you decide to buy I guarantee one thing....You will become obsesed with watching it::bigsmile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
in my opinion you dont need an all sing, all dancing controller.

no matter what the panels doing you cant do anything about it.

the mppt controller is superior to the pwm type which, i beleive, just switchs the current on and off by monitoring the batteries charge state.
the mppt adjusts the current as needed to maintain charge.

the easiest, and cheapest, way to 'split' charge, is a wire linked to both the hab and cab batteries positive terminals.

you need a fuse, probably 10amp, in the line (preferably one at both ends of the link) and this must be removed before starting the engine or it will blow due to the high current at the starter.
simply insert the fuse (engine off) and it'll charge both batteries from your solar panel.

artona

Free Member
Jul 31, 2007
Funster No
MH
self build
Exp
40 yrs and still not got a release date
MPPT stands for maximum power point tracking. You can download a very good pdf by clicking here

I only read people raving about them which must be a good thing. Some claim 33% more charge

stew

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I agree with Pappajohn,

In addition to the fuses in the charging line to the starter battery, I would fit a 12v relay controlled from the ignition to break the circuit when you start the van.. then there is no need to remove fuse when starting engine..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

lookback

Free Member
Nov 30, 2007
Mareham le fen, Lincs
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
5 years
I have the same setup as you describe 2x110AH leisure batteries, a 130 watt roof mounted solar panel and a LED regulator. The solar panel and regulator were installed by Towtal, Stoke on Trent. The wiring is run from the roof, through the habitation area, to one of the leisure batteries + - terminals, with the fused LED regulator fixed to a convenient position in the habitation area . Prior to this I purchased a 12v harness, specifically for Autotrails from Brownhills (Newark) (cost approx £17) to link up the leisure batteries.
I contacted Sargents electricals and asked if the solar panel wiring could be linked directly to my PSU2007 and told that this was not possible. (later PSUs have this facility). The only way you can charge you vehicle battery is by switching the control panel on and selecting "battery" - normally it is set at default and automatically charges your leisure batteries.

Hope this helps.

Ian

OP
OP
Tommy_harry

Tommy_harry

Free Member
May 30, 2010
County Durham
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
2 days
Had the panel fitted yesterday by Aire and Sun from Hexham. Cant recommend them highly enough - splendid job, tidy and clean together with a good price...

Went for a dual controller as with my memory I was worried I would forget to take out fuses / switch over switches etc.

Thanks for everyones advise / comments.

Des

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back